• JALTUS

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • s9s27s54

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redeemed

Originally posted by Ginger I think we could get along without the explaination of the scriptures by these men.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Eph 4:11-12 " It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ."

Ginger, why did Jesus give apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers?

Were they superflous?

Have we "all reached unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" and therefore don't need them anymore?

Explosived

he will guide you into all truth:

he will guide you into all truth:

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Ginger

I do believe we still need the 5 fold ministry. I never said otherwise.

The problem I have is when the words of men are added to the scripture and their words made into doctrine. Their words are not the inspired words of God. This is why there is division, and will only distance us from the unity of the faith. The only way we will ever attain to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ is if we renew our selves in His Words.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Hisown

NIV, KJV, etc. etc.

NIV, KJV, etc. etc.

:confused: I guess I am just behind the times. I thought that people who go door to door although maybe confused, arent we supposed to help them, not confuse them. Be glad that there are those who will go door to door. We should try to win them not totally lose them.;)

drdeutsch

That definition of "standard" wouldn't fit in with "Standard American English."
How about the defintion for "Standard English" in the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed.?

"The variety of English that is generally acknowledged as the model for the speech and writing of educated speakers."

On the usage note, it says:

"Sometimes it is used to denote the variety of English prescribed by traditional prescriptive norms, and in this sense it includes rules and usages that many educated speakers don't systematically conform to in their speech or writing, such as the rules for use of who and whom."
In other words, it's prescriptive, not descriptive.

It also says:

"Standard English in this sense shouldn't be regarded as being necessarily correct or unexceptionable, since it will include many kinds of language that could be faulted on various grounds, [. . .] Thus while the term can serve a useful descriptive purpose providing the context makes its meaning clear, it shouldn't be construed as conferring any absolute positive evaluation."

This isn't the not-wrong thread for this discussion.
Dr. Deutsch

Redeemed

Originally posted by Ginger
I do believe we still need the 5 fold ministry. I never said otherwise.

The problem I have is when the words of men are added to the scripture and their words made into doctrine. Their words are not the inspired words of God. This is why there is division, and will only distance us from the unity of the faith. The only way we will ever attain to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ is if we renew our selves in His Words.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
The only way men can AVOID adding their own words to scripture is to simply read them with NO comment. I can READ for myself.

Surely Jesus did not establish these offices in order for men to simply RECITE the scriptures?

In all fairness, I understand the concern to AVOID adding unscriptural ideas and philosophies to God's Word. I have the same concern. But teachers and preachers and even people on this forum serve a valuable purpose. We provoke each other to study and compare one another's ideas against the Word of God. Just because someone gives us their interpretation of the scripture, we should not accept it at face value. As we study God's Word, God's Spirit will show us whether those ideas are true or false.

GrayPilgrim

Wielder of the Flame of Arnor
1 for Dr. Deutsch 0 for Jaltus

1 for Dr. Deutsch 0 for Jaltus

Well for those who don't know, my good friend Jaltus is what one might call the "Gramamr Nazi". Among his favorite no-no's that are sure to get his hackles up are:
- anyways:mad:
- anywho:doh:
-ain't

For the last three years I have always been able to get him riled with this. But Although he may be able to translate around me 6 ways from Sunday in Greek, lets adjurn to the Old Testament and the fun begins.

But as I was saying Dr. Deutsch is correct about Prescriptive vs. Descriptive language. Although according to the old addage "ain't ain't word", it is internally self contradictory for the very usage of ain't as a form of negation demonstrates that ain't communicates as a morpheme and thus satisfies all the qualifactions of a word,

So If it walks like a word, talks like a word, sounds like a word, its probably a word.

Jaltus

My point about the double negative is that it is improper because, at least in written form, it negates itself.

Therefore, not hardly means exactly! That is not what the person is trying to communicate, and therefore the meaning is changed because they used an improper method of forming a sentence.

The question is, does sentence formation carry meaning or not?

Good to see you, GP. Plan on commenting on the BR or just here to annoy me, hehe?

GrayPilgrim

Wielder of the Flame of Arnor
G.A. Ripplinger a fraud!

G.A. Ripplinger a fraud!

S9 come on she got her doctorate in home.ec. Which is not bad, but she tried to pass herself off as a man and as PhD in Biblical studies, so right fromt the start she is being dishonest about herself. James White wrote an excellant little book about all of her factual errors. She makes constant unsubstantiated claims, ad hominem attacks and whole mess of other things.

So "New Age Bible Versions" is the worst book to use to substantiate your arguments. Don't use a fraudualant book to substantiate an already flawed argument.

themuzicman

Either s9 is SERIOUSLY sandbagging, going completely off topic and giving Jaultus the initiative, in spite of going first; or he's in WAY over his head, and will probably not even agree with his original assertion when this debate is finished.

Don't let up, Jaltus.

Jaltus

Earliest English Bible is the Wyclif Bible of 1388 (second edition, I cannot find a date for the first edition).

Y

Yxboom

Hello!!!

Is the debate regarding divine inspiration of the KJB or divine preservation via KJB? The BR seems to imply the former which is just totally ludicrous. Than again. It may be accurate.

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Oh my gosh.....

This might be bad. Did you see S9's post #2?

Although sometimes watching a train wreck is mesmerizing.

Y

Yxboom

Originally posted by novice
Oh my gosh.....

This might be bad. Did you see S9's post #2?

Although sometimes watching a train wreck is mesmerizing.
Ditto!

Status
Not open for further replies.