Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

philosophizer

Why are there people posting in the battle thread itself? It's so annoying. How many times does Knight have to say don't post there?

Ooo, that last post was a long one too. :bang:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
I need more ...

I need more ...

Hi Erieann,

Do you know the answer to my question? Zakath writes:
atheist - noun. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods

Eireann writes:
Of the two you presented, only one is an atheist position. The latter is an agnostic position, not atheist.
OK, then does Zakath claim to be an atheist of the atheist position (One who ... denies the existence of God or gods) or an atheist of the agnostic position (One who disbelieves ... the existence of God or gods).

Zakath writes:
What more statement of my position do you need?
I need to know if you only disbelieve God's existence thus far because of insufficient evidence to support it, or if you go as far as denying God's existence regardless of future evidence.

Z Man writes:
Zakath believes in God; he's just too mad at Him to admit it ...
You may have been saying this to be funny or to rattle Zakath's cage, but the Bible says you're absolutely right. So-called atheists are really "theists in denial." Everyone knows the truth but suppresses in unrighteousness, according to Romans 1. The Greek term for "ignorance" is actually "willful ignorance," that is, knowing enough truth to push it away from oneself. Great comment, Z Man.

Jim

Last edited:

Z Man

Re: I need more ...

Originally posted by Hilston
Z Man writes:
Zakath believes in God; he's just too mad at Him to admit it ...
You may have been saying this to be funny or to rattle Zakath's cage...
Actually, Zakath and I go back....way back. Like, a couple hundred posts back. :D

Anyways, Zakath has posted a few things that I believe is what warrants him a "fake atheist". Come to think of it, every atheist I've stumbled upon has some tragic tale of how God is mean or unjust... :think:
Great comment, Z Man.

Jim
Thanks, I guess... :eek: But I think that comment is what is sad about Zakath's personal life. Just like the famous atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair said countless times in her diary, I believe Zakath is shouting in his heart:

Somebody, somewhere, love me.

:(

Cleohair

Hi!

Hi!

Hi All!

Well, I finally gave in & joined. I've been reading off & on, but I'm sure there'll be something I'll want to comment on in this debate. Can't wait! God Bless to all!

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by philosophizer
Why are there people posting in the battle thread itself? It's so annoying. How many times does Knight have to say don't post there?

Ooo, that last post was a long one too. :bang:

No doubt.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Mallorean

Re: Mallorean

Originally posted by Brenda
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "Mallorean"?
My screen name, Zakath, is a character found in a couple of books by David Eddings. Zakath happens to be the emperor of Mallorea (an empire on another world in Edding's novels) and an atheist who is married to an oracle (one who hears from deities). The situation reminded me a bit of my wife and me, hence the name...

Hope that helps. :D

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Hi Erieann,

Do you know the answer to my question?
I do. :D

Atheism runs, more or less, on a spectrum from weak atheism, what most would term "agnostic" to strong atheism, what most would call an "athiest". I tend toward the strong end of the spectrum, meaning I actually disbelieve in the existence of any deities.

I am open to changing my mind if someone (human or otherwise) provided sufficient evidence.

Keep in mind you may see that term "sufficiency of evidence" again in the near future... ;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by ilyatur
I'm new here, and I wonder what Zakath's worldview is, beyond his criticism of the Christian worldview.
PM me and I'll discuss it with you if you wish.

Eireann

Originally posted by RogerB
Did anyone really expect aomething different from Zak's first post? Next he's going to ask for flesh and blood, gotta see it with my own two eyes proof. As if man can even begin to define God in terms we understand or limit His existence to what we will accept as logical.
Actually, it was a very good way to start the debate. Establishing a working definition that is fully understood by both parties is an essential beginning to a debate. If there is not a concise and mutually agreed-upon definition for "God," then the debate is sunk from the first post. Otherwise, both parties can argue in favor or against the existence of God -- by their individual definitions -- and never gain ground on the other because the other is debating something completely different.

Emmaus Road

Originally posted by Eireann
The only thing he accomplished, though, was failing to prove the negative (as was his intent). Unfortunately, failing to disprove a negative does not prove a positive, which is something Kant didn't quite get. In the end, he only managed to prove that he couldn't prove God doesn't exist, but he was no closer to being able to prove he does.

Emmaus Road: On reading your post, I have to say I agree.

Kant attempted to show how philosophy could prove the existence of God. Unfortunately, for him his previous work showed that we could not know reality directly as thing-in-itself. What is real in itself is beyond our experience. Even if God exists, we can not know God as he is.

Eireann

Hi Erieann,

Do you know the answer to my question?
Only Zak truly knows the answer to that question. I can assume, from his background and most of what he's posted in the past that he is a true atheist, assuming he is truthful about his lack of belief.

A true atheist can still be persuaded to believe in something if faced with incontrovertible evidence, as with an agnostic. The primary difference is that an atheist believes there is nothing out there, while an agnostic believes there is something out there that is higher than us (or at least, there probably is) but makes no commitment as to what that "something" is. The agnostic simply does not subscribe to any particular mythology or dogma regarding that "something." That would be my own position, as opposed to an atheist who doesn't believe at all in anything paranormal.

LightSon

What does Zakath mean

What does Zakath mean

Originally posted by Zakath
BTW, it's "Zay-kath". Long "a" and accent on the first syllable, short "a" in the second. It's a common error since Mallorean is quite a bit different than English... ;)

What does this name (Zakath) mean? Is it some evil mantra calling up the prince of darkness? Something akin to Beetleguice.

Just curious.

And what is Mallorean? Never heard of that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.