Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by sawrie
Enyart's home church is Derby Bible Church in Colorado. Its pastors teach that God changes his mind, and does not know the future (Moral Government Theology).

I pulled this off a gospel.net's Apologetics Index and am wondering (if this is true) how a man could support a pastor with such views?
Your pretty much wrong on everything you stated.

We encourage more informed posts.

After all.... its "More informed posts month" at TOL. :D

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Lightson,

Zakath can actually a play on words...

First off, it is a character from David Eddings' novels. He is the atheistic emperor of a place called Mallorea.

Secondly, Zakath or Zakat, is arabic for the almsgiving required of all good Muslims, the sharing of one's substance with other truly needy people. I only found out this second meaning after a close acquaintance converted to Islam. ;)

But I am not a Muslim, a Christian, or a religionist of any stripe. :D

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by sawrie
To Zakath

Two things

1.) Whatever is eternal cannot change as change is a proof something is not perfect.

2.) God cannot be known through knowledge (although knowledge can prove His existance) God must be know through experiance and seeing our physical senses only deal with the physical world God must not be sought through them rather by our spirit....
I'm already debating one preacher this week, sawrie. If you'd like to get in line after St. Bob the Broadcaster, you can have the next turn. :D

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Knight
Which isn't to be confused with having "faith".

Zakath has plenty of "faith". :D
As do many folks here. Where we differ is the object of our faith...

"Everyone's gotta believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink!" :cheers:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath
As do many folks here. Where we differ is the object of our faith...

"Everyone's gotta believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink!" :cheers:
I agree!

I was simply clarifying for some of our more banal members. ;)

LightSon

And what exactly is that you are drinking? You appear to be suckin' 'em down pretty fast. :cheers:

Mr. Coffee

I wish our "Does God Exist?" debate could be framed the way Karl Rahner presented it. He begins with our experience of transcendence: whatever we say, we raise more questions. This is a "permanent existential," i.e., the way we are, and we did not and cannot choose to be this way. And in transcending whatever we think of as our outermost horizon, we have to deal with mystery, and encounter God.

But I suppose we'll just rehash the Thomistic proofs.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Atheists aren't heretics, they don't espouse any particular religious doctrine! ;)

Though technically, some people wouldn't classify stouts as "beer", more like a food group all by themselves. :D

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
computers don't go out for a beer

computers don't go out for a beer

Guinness. Sigh. I miss those days... perhaps they will be again sometime.

Scrimshaw

One of the most important issue in these debates is defining "evidence". Evidence is an extremely subjective word because everybody has different standards of evidence that they will accept. Many times, the loftiness of those standards will correlate to the level of prejudice the individual already possesses against the idea he disbelieves. In other words, the higher the prejudice, the higher the standard of evidence they will require.

I once talked to an atheist that said the only form of evidence he would accept is - God appearing before him saying - "Hey, I'm God and I'm real", and then blinding him for 3 days so he would have physical evidence that he didn't hallucinate. That was the only standard of evidence that atheist would accept. Other atheists may have a more reasonable standard of evidence; but it's important for the theist to ascertain what that standard is, otherwise the theist ends up spending a lot of time spinning his wheels by providing all kinds of evidence that wouldn't be acceptable to the atheist in the first place.

I usually ask the atheist what he thinks acceptable/sufficient "evidence" for God would be in the first place. Since the atheist makes the positive affirmation that no such evidence exists, they obviously have an idea of what they think the evidence would be....or else they wouldn't be so certain they haven't already seen it.

Thus, its actually the atheist's responsibility to define what HE would personally accept as "sufficient" evidence for a god, and from there, the theist is required to analyze that standard of evidence to see if:

a) it is a reasonable and/or logically necessary standard
b) can be provided

I find that this approach saves A LOT of time because it cuts straight to the heart of the matter and eliminates all the rhetoric on both sides.

Last edited:

Freak

Nah, I'n not a real evangelist. I don't take up a love offering... ;)

I forgot you just demand people to pay excessive amounts of money to hear your psycho-babble.:rolleyes:

AROTO

quote: why not just supply the simply answer to the simple question?

He can't simply answer the question, or Zakath's argument will totally unravel.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
The issue remains, will he answer the questions I've posed or will he duck them and try to avoid the main debate question altogether? :think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Freak
I forgot you just demand people to pay excessive amounts of money ...
That's interesting, my clients never complained about my fees being excessive...

Do the people you work with complain frequently? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.