Believing in vain- 1Co 15:2

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
What conditions does he put on "by which also you are saved"?

The NKJV does a better job of the Greek word used there for memory.
katechó: to hold fast, hold back
Original Word: κατέχω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: katechó
Phonetic Spelling: (kat-ekh'-o)
Short Definition: I hold fast, bind, restrain
Definition: (a) I hold fast, bind, arrest, (b) I take possession of, lay hold of, (c) I hold back, detain, restrain, (d) I hold a ship, keep its head.

1 Cor. 15:2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain

If they don't hold it fast it was for nothing.

And there we have the DIY version.

Thank you for your input.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Believing in vain.

Believing in vain.

Jas 1:19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
Jas 1:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Jas 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

theophilus

Pay attention....Take your seat. I'm one of the leaders, sherrif's, on TOL. Power.....authority.....

Dig?

And quit perverting the gospel of Christ, wolfie, with your your satanic "good news," which is bad news, "Her life has not changed.Her heart has not changed."

Tell us how much of a "heart change," "changed life," qualifies one to be justified. Have you made the grade?

Save it-it's rhetorical, wolfie.

Get saved.

Dear Vanity Fair,

Your braggadocio always make me laugh so hard I have to pee. I really don't know how you get all of that out of your mouth without vomiting.

Maybe that is another of your talents (you have so many).

:)

Go tell you husband you need spanked.

:e4e:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why the snotty comment?

Nothing 'snotty' about it.

Simply descriptive of the understanding that many have that Paul means in these verses that it is up to the believer to hold on to salvation by their own efforts, a 'do it yourself' salvation.

I don't believe that he's saying that.

But, as I said in the OP, there will be differing opinions. Yours is one of them and a very common belief.

john w

Hall of Fame
Dear Vanity Fair,

Your braggadocio always make me laugh so hard I have to pee. I really don't know how you get all of that out of your mouth without vomiting.

Maybe that is another of your talents (you have so many).

Go tell you husband you need spanked.

:e4e:

Listen up, punk-ette-this is a theology site, where men, women, discuss theological topics. This is not Romper Room, or:

View attachment 25054

And I am a man, James 2:3 KJV toots/boy, having power, authority, on this board, in contrast to you, largely being ignored, and spit on.

Your "page":This page has had 656 visits

Vs.

The great, humble, St. John W's famous, crowed page:

This page has had 16,488 visits

Contrasts.

Can you dig it, drone? Good.

Now-take your seat, as I ordered.

theophilus

Listen up, punk-ette-this is a theology site, where men, women, discuss theological topics. This is not Romper Room, or:

View attachment 25054

And I am a man, James 2:3 KJV toots/boy, having power, authority, on this board, in contrast to you, largely being ignored, and spit on.

Your "page":This page has had 656 visits

Vs.

The great, humble, St. John W's famous, crowed page:

This page has had 16,488 visits

Contrasts.

Can you dig it, drone? Good.

Now-take your seat, as I ordered.

All those visits...here's why:

View attachment 25055

...your lovely face.

john w

Hall of Fame
All those visits...here's why:

View attachment 25055

...your lovely face.

Vs. this "face"(loosely employed here), old "lady"?:

http://theologyonline.com/member.php?696-theophilus

You have more lines, than the unemploymentr line in which you stand every week.

What are you-in your late 70's, granny?

Nice loser specs.

Start working out, and ditch that mop of yours, you grey haired spinster. And wear at least a little war paint, to cover those craters/valleys, on that ugly face.

So there, dike-ette.

john w

Hall of Fame
Christians would be banned for this (Ro 14:4, Ps 105:15). :banned: You won't be (2 Pe 2:1).

As a reminder john w is number 58 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

False accusation. The Lord Jesus Christ is the LORD God, and I affirm the veracity of the "trinity" doctrine. I always have-never wavered. No one can show one post where I denied the divinity of the Saviour, or denied the Trinity. My view has not changed, since I was saved in 1998.

The thread starter erred.Of course, I ignore lists. You dig them, being a Catholic, and all.