chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am very careful about where I ride
I am only a year into this
my older brother gave me his bike
I just wanted to see if I could ride a bike at 71
I can and love it

dreadknought

I'd forgotten that you were a bit older than me, my apologies for that. I think it is awesome that you can ride. I've had to overcome a few things, physically, yet ride regularly. I'm 3 years into it. I love it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I had the local bike shop replace the rubber on the back because I didn't want to mess with the chain and gears
but
for the front I ordered online and replaced it myself

dreadknought

I need a back spoke replaced on the Diamondback. It's a 21 speed hard tail mountain bike. It has a small wobble, but I just stick to the street. As a kid, my hometown had a bike shop. All it has now is Wal Mart, Rural King, you know. I don't have the tools to take the back cassette out. If I did, I'd just fix it myself, I think :eek:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I came to grief as a papergirl going right over the handlebars in front of a bus :(

I went to work on a farm and have never ridden a bike since...or drive a car.

PureX

I still have one, but I haven't been on it in some years.

I used to ride it a lot when I lived in Chicago, because it was just so much easier to get around (weather permitting). Where I live, now, the distances are too great, there are too many hills, and no bike paths. I've also put on a lot of weight since coming here. It would take some serious effort to get back into riding one, here, now.

I'm old school ... no helmets or speedos or flashing lights. Bright colored clothes are always a good idea, though.

dreadknought

I came to grief as a papergirl going right over the handlebars in front of a bus :(

I went to work on a farm and have never ridden a bike since...or drive a car.
I'm sorry. I've been over the handlebars a couple of times. Once on the paper route as a kid in the winter, Schwinn 5 speed, snow, hill, crash, my stupidity. Another when I first got back on a bike, back a few years ago, someone else's stupidity. Getting back on it changed my life, physically that is.

dreadknought

I still have one, but I haven't been on it in some years.

I used to ride it a lot when I lived in Chicago, because it was just so much easier to get around (weather permitting). Where I live, now, the distances are too great, there are too many hills, and no bike paths. I've also put on a lot of weight since coming here. It would take some serious effort to get back into riding one, here, now.
I've been pondering relocation a lot lately, and one of the things that I've looked at, specifically, is if the area looks bike friendly.

Bike riding has helped me to be physically stronger. I've lost a substantial amount of weight.

I'm old school ... no helmets or speedos or flashing lights. Bright colored clothes are always a good idea, though.
No flashing lights or speedos for me either.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I'm sorry. I've been over the handlebars a couple of times. Once on the paper route as a kid in the winter, Schwinn 5 speed, snow, hill, crash, my stupidity. Another when I first got back on a bike, back a few years ago, someone else's stupidity. Getting back on it changed my life, physically that is.

:eek: broken bones are apt to change your life....

PureX

I've been pondering relocation a lot lately, and one of the things that I've looked at, specifically, is if the area looks bike friendly.

Bike riding has helped me to be physically stronger. I've lost a substantial amount of weight.

No flashing lights or speedos for me either.
Well, if you like cities, Chicago is very bicycle-friendly. The ex-Mayor Daley was a bike enthusiast, and so he went out of his way to create bike routes, stands, and integration with public transportation. And I have a friend there who owns a bicycle shop and is an avid biker, who would be glad to show you all the great places to go riding. Also, Chicago has a park running the whole length of the city along the lakefront from top to bottom.

Tough climate, though. Cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. Not a lot of snow, though.

dreadknought

Well, if you like cities, Chicago is very bicycle-friendly. The ex-Mayor Daley was a bike enthusiast, and so he went out of his way to create bike routes, stands, and integration with public transportation. And I have a friend there who owns a bicycle shop and is an avid biker, who would be glad to show you all the great places to go riding. Also, Chicago has a park running the whole length of the city along the lakefront from top to bottom.

Tough climate, though. Cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. Not a lot of snow, though.
Yeh, climate. I do want to ride along the lakefront, that would be one heckuva moment.

zoo22

If you ride a bike and don't wear a helmet, hopefully you're an organ donor. If you're not, please become one. Death by smashed-in skull is ideal for transplants, because your body is left intact, and your internal organs are fine. It's just your skull and brain that gets crushed. Also, often a bike rider is physically heathy, which is great. So if you don't want to wear a helmet, at the very least, let someone else benefit from your freedom. Also, it's important to leave instructions for family and loved ones as to how you'd prefer to be taken care of if you're left brain dead.

But either way, everyone should check yes on that organ donor box!

Last edited: