Biden/Harris 2020

Arthur Brain

Georgia's legacy of voter suppression is driving historic Black turnout
Changing demographics in the Atlanta suburbs and an explosion of civic engagement among first-time voters could turn the state blue for the first time in decades.

ATLANTA — Almost every Black Georgia voter queuing up at the polls has a story about 2018.

Most waited for hours in lines that wrapped around their voting locations. Some were removed from the voter rolls arbitrarily, forcing them to fill out confusing provisional ballots on Election Day. Others stayed home altogether and — after watching Democrat Stacey Abrams lose the gubernatorial race by fewer than 60,000 votes — regretted that decision.

Now, voter enthusiasm among all races is at an all-time high in one of the most consequential battleground states in the country. So is voter anxiety.
In the shadows of billboards along I-85 and I-20 encouraging Atlantans to “VOTE EARLY,” barriers to that act loom large. There were reminders of this again during June’s egregious primary election: In populous, rapidly diversifying metro Atlanta counties like Fulton and Cobb, wait times extended up to six hours after polling locations were consolidated during the pandemic. The state’s new electronic voting machines also frequently malfunctioned, further slowing the ballot casting process.

Voters interviewed by POLITICO said anger over perceived voter suppression tactics is fueling their eagerness to cast early ballots. And indeed, Georgians are voting in numbers never seen before in the state’s history. Since Oct. 12, the first day of early voting, a staggering 2.7 million voters have cast a ballot — a nearly 110 percent increase from 2016. . . .

Troubles at the ballot box are propelling engagement, particularly among Black voters. An analysis from ProPublica’s Electionland found that predominantly Black precincts in the state were more likely to have the longest wait times, despite a surge in voter registrations there.

At the same time, participation even among Democrats’ most loyal voting bloc has soared ahead of the general election. More than 737,000 African Americans have already voted in Georgia. Black voting is on track to eclipse its 2008 record, when turnout increased by 8 percentage points among Black Georgians hyped to vote for Barack Obama.

“The thing is, this is the largest turnout, I think, statewide that I have ever seen,” said former U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young, noting a similar pattern nationwide. “And that's usually a very good sign. It's a good sign for democracy. Whoever they voted for.”

Polls are looking favourable for Biden although obviously, that's not a given. Still...

https://ig.ft.com/us-election-2020/

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah like a lot of Biden supporters, I'm cautiously optimistic. Things look good, 2020 isn't comparable to 2016, it's a different race - but it ain't over til it's over.

Believe me: It's over. :chuckle:

Arthur Brain

Maybe whoever it is you're attempting to insult in your customarily generic, banal way can't quite find the fulfillment that you find in creating posts every ten minutes in What Are You Listening To Now VII to update TOL about your favorite music. Guess what: Nobody cares.

Says the adolescent who apparently doesn't care at all and yet goes to the effort of posting this crap...

:rotfl:

Go watch Frozen or something, kid.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I don't know what that is. I can google it of course, but maybe tell me about it and why you're thinking of it.

No one in this world, so far as I know - and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.
H. L. Mencken

I have to admit that it irritates me no end to think that he might be right. But he might be right, even if it looks as though Donald Trump might just become an important counter-example. We'll know shortly.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No one in this world, so far as I know - and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me - has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.
H. L. Mencken

I have to admit that it irritates me no end to think that he might be right. But he might be right, even if it looks as though Donald Trump might just become an important counter-example. We'll know shortly.

Thanks. I'm holding out hope that the young will save us. Eventually. As much bad as there is to say about social media, and there's a lot, there's not a person in a red county in a red state that can't see another way than the ones their parents and grandparents took.

As an aside, I wonder what Mencken would've had to say about the internet and the blurry line between online and real life.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So do we have the Mencken Rule here:

Trump leaves Nebraska supporters stranded in deep freeze, 7 hospitalized

President Donald Trump left several thousand of his supporters stranded at Eppley Airfield after his event in Omaha Tuesday night.

After the President boarded Air Force One and departed the state, many of the attendees, some of whom waited more than four hours to listen to him speak, stood in the freezing temperatures on a private road in the middle of the airport.

CNN’s Jeff Zeleny reported “thousands” of people were stuck in the cold more than an hour after Trump took off from the airport.

According to a Twitter account named “Omaha Scanner,” police officers located two groups of elderly Trump supporters shortly after the event ended who were struggling in the cold. One group was reportedly frozen in the cold and unable to move.

Another complaint included a call for a medic to assist a 68 year-old man who complained of hypothermia and possibly had an altered mental status.

The event itself seemed poorly planned from the beginning.

Trump’s campaign told his rally-goers to arrive at Eppley at 4:30 p.m. By then, cars were lined up for miles trying to get into the airport, and the security team was directing people in circles.

At one point, security said the South Economy parking lot where the cars were being directed to was full, and pointed people toward the north lot. Security at the north lot then directed the cars of people, who had already waited in line once, back to the South Economy lot.

The security team then told people who started parking in a cell phone lot across the street from the South Economy lot that they may be towed.

Most ignored the warning and proceeded into the South Economy lot, where they found thousands of people standing in four separate lines to get onto charter buses.

A group of people in the cell phone lot gave up their place in the long line to go offer to move their cars somewhere else so they wouldn’t be towed, but the security team then said their cars wouldn’t be towed out of the nearby lot.

People were directed to stand in the long lines to get on charter buses that would drive them to the event. It took well over two hours to get through the line.

While thousands of people stood in the lines, the flow of buses was not at all constant.

At about 6:45 p.m. (the Trump event was scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m.) YouTubers Camille & Haley showed up to sing songs like “Back the Blue” and “Vote Trump 2020” for the people still the lines in the South Economy lot.

Once on the buses, people were transported more than 3.5 miles down a private road to another part of the airport. It took more than half-an-hour for the buses to get from the South Economy lot to the place where they could be unloaded.

Once at the event, people walked a few blocks toward tents where volunteers took everyone’s temperatures.

Attendees were led through another one- to two-hour long queue to get inside the event.

Trump landed at the airport and began speaking while thousands of people were still waiting in the queue to get in the event.

Some started shouting for the line to move faster, and some began saying they needed to use the restroom and threatened to relieve themselves while waiting in line.

While Trump left the event quickly in Air Force One, attendees were stuck for hours outside in freezing cold temperatures in the dark.

... and Poe's Law here? (She's brilliant in this)

https://twitter.com/blaireerskine/st...952495105?s=20

Screen-Shot-2020-10-28-at-7-03-13-AM.png