Boy Scouts end ban on openly gay troop leaders

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sterilization will cause the criminal to bear the scars also, and the reduced hormones should make them less likely to commit the crime again.

OR ... we can skip the scars and just make certain the predator never has another chance to repeat his offense.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The kids will bear the scars the rest of their lives. Look at the people coming forward with the priest abuses that happened 30+ years ago... it haunts them.

Didn't dispute that. I took issue with your implication that they're damaged goods. Correct me if I'm mistaken and I'll find a hat to eat. :e4e:

Sterilization will cause the criminal to bear the scars also, and the reduced hormones should make them less likely to commit the crime again.

Your "solution" to this problem's ridiculous and barbaric. And sterilization in and of itself does nothing to reduce or eliminate the sex drive (it can in some instances increase libido). In the case of abusive priests, who predominately preyed on boys, how would rendering them unable to procreate change a damn thing?

HisServant

For anyone who touches a 17 year old? (or a twenty year old in some states)

Would you be qualified to cast the first stone?

This has as much to do with the abuse of the public trust as it does the actual sexual act... which is why it should be treated a lot more serious then if it was just two random people.

Teachers and Scout leaders, for example, are trusted by parents to take care of their kids... abusing that trust should have extremely harsh penalties.

gcthomas

This has as much to do with the abuse of the public trust as it does the actual sexual act... which is why it should be treated a lot more serious then if it was just two random people.

Teachers and Scout leaders, for example, are trusted by parents to take care of their kids... abusing that trust should have extremely harsh penalties.

You said any 'minor', which in some states is twenty one. I gave some examples of edge cases that you have ignored - do you think that 'extremely harsh' punishments are due in those cases?

HisServant

You said any 'minor', which in some states is twenty one. I gave some examples of edge cases that you have ignored - do you think that 'extremely harsh' punishments are due in those cases?

If the abuser is using their authority to prey on their charges.. yes.

gcthomas

If the abuser is using their authority to prey on their charges.. yes.

You've changed to situation - you originally said anyone in a position of authority, now it is abuse of that authority. It doesn't seem so black and white now you have introduced a defence of being in an authority position but not 'using' that authority.

HisServant

So a 45-year-old instructor carrying on with a 23-year-old student would be enough to whip out the old slicing machine, in your book?

The victim has to be a minor.

But in your case, the guy should be fired and have to spend time behind bars for abusing the trust of the public... and NEVER be allowed to teach again.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The victim has to be a minor.

But in your case, the guy should be fired and have to spend time behind bars for abusing the trust of the public... and NEVER be allowed to teach again.

Well you didn't clarify the "minor" bit, which is why I asked. Also you're assuming the instructor is a man (doesn't have to be). And how is a consensual relationship between two adults in this scenario a "betrayal" of anything?

Keep your castration kit packed, is what I'm saying.

HisServant

Well you didn't clarify the "minor" bit, which is why I asked. Also you're assuming the instructor is a man (doesn't have to be). And how is a consensual relationship between two adults in this scenario a "betrayal" of anything?

Keep your castration kit packed, is what I'm saying.

I said age of majority... same thing.

Because in a teacher student sexual relationship, here is always the sex for grades angle.... teachers should keep their hands off their students and visa versa...

Granite

Hall of Fame
I said age of majority... same thing.

Because in a teacher student sexual relationship, here is always the sex for grades angle.... teachers should keep their hands off their students and visa versa...

Which may or may not occur in reality. You'd be willing to slice someone up based on your own assumptions, and that's demented.:eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I only ever said that unless there was a minor involved.

But if there were two minors involved you'd be okay with that kind of sexual relationship? What kind of punishment would you deem appropriate in that case?

So far the best you've come up with is sterilization (which would be ineffective and misplaced at best in many cases) or firing, shunning, and shaming two adults for a consensual sexual relationship. Uh...top notch.

HisServant

But if there were two minors involved you'd be okay with that kind of sexual relationship? What kind of punishment would you deem appropriate in that case?

So far the best you've come up with is sterilization (which would be ineffective and misplaced at best in many cases) or firing, shunning, and shaming two adults for a consensual sexual relationship. Uh...top notch.

There couldnt be two minors involved in any of the situations I have mentioned.

gcthomas

You haven't addressed any of the situations I have mentioned. (the Mississippi case with a 20 year old minor, for example)

Is being attracted to a 20 year old a symptom of paedophilia? Do you consider 20 year olds incompetent to pick their own sexual partners, even if that partner is a company manager only one year older than them?

Granite

Hall of Fame

So what punishment do you consider appropriate for such situations? I've already seen what you'd do to adults given half a chance, I'm wondering how you'd teach, say, a couple of teenagers a lesson.