bW's POTD 9/15/04 (PureX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brother Willi

PureX

for understanding

George Bush and many of the other neo-con Christians in America have been turning Jesus into some sort of holy "Rambo" for a long time, now. They imagine that God loves guns and violent self-defense and deadly retribution for all sorts of offences. They see only violent and militaristic solutions to all of the world's problems and they see anyone who dares to disagree with them as a problem that needs to be corrected by the only means they seem to recognize. They are the most UN-Chistian Christians I've ever seen.

One of the most profound differences between the old testament and the new, and one of the most profound ideas that Jesus brings to us in the new testament is the idea that love transcends the self, and that no greater love can a man show for his brother than to give up even his own life for him. And Jesus wasn't just talking big ideals, he DID what he was proposing. He let his enemies torture and murder him to SHOW US that the love of God acting within us and through us can transcend even our own life and death, and can change and heal both us and the world, forever. And I do believe that this is true.

So when I hear these neo-con Christians spouting off about the righteousness of capitol punishment and a violent proactive national defense and screaming for the maximum vengeance at all times for all crimes against all people, all I can do is shake my head at the absurdity of it. These people aren't Christians by any standard that I see Jesus preaching or exemplifying. I think they're just a bunch of petty blowhards and phonies, using Jesus and the bible to rationalize and justify their own ugly, violent, selfish, and mesan-spirited impulses.

I'm not claiming that I would not defend myself or my loved-ones if someone were to come looking to do me or them harm. But I'm sure not going to revel in or glorify the fact that I don't have enough faith and courage to do as Jesus did under the same conditions. And I'm sure not going to revel in and glorify the fact that my country also did not have the faith and courage to respond is some way other than brutal violence when it saw itself threatened. And I sure as hell don't consider George Bush or these other neo-con phonies ANY sort of Christian that Jesus Christ would have been proud of.

'Absurd' indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by brother Willi

does the high priest want me to vote Barrabas?
I can tell that you profane God when you preach pacifism......

Ezekiel 13:19 “And will you profane Me among My people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live, by your lying to My people who listen to lies?�

brother Willi

Originally posted by Knight

I can tell that you profane God when you preach pacifism......

Ezekiel 13:19 “And will you profane Me among My people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live, by your lying to My people who listen to lies?�
Knight, you are free to believe as you like.

howbout you explain this to me.

Matthew 5:38
"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'

Matthew 5:39
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

"You have heard that it was said"

"But I say to you"

Status
Not open for further replies.