Can the Christians here accept the Biblical fact that God is one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elia

If God is a triune being, then so are we, since we're made in His image. I had no trouble accepting the Trinity when I realized that I consisted of body, soul, and spirit.

Bs'd

What, according to you, is the difference between soul and spirit?

Eliyahu

Elia

The Catholic Church teaches that God is one.. but there are 3 persons in the Godhead.. Dont ask me to explain, but even though many have a hard time understand this, i never did... dont get why its so hard for some... but then others understadn things I don't... like math...
Bs'd

Maybe you can explain the following: I believe in God, but not in a "Godhead".

What is a Godhead?

Jesus is the Word of God.. meaning the Truth of God..

So he is not God himself?

The Holy Spirit is the.. Spirit of God..

So he is not God himself?

Then there's the Father who stays in Heaven... seemingly at a great distance... most of the time

which is why we need Jesus...

But they are all God no?

You need God to get to God?

Eliyahu

Elia

It's certainly hard to comprehend, but it's not 'illogical'.
If you think it's 'illogical', then you are arguing against something that you only think is trinitarian teaching.

Bs'd

I showed you guys all the places where the Bible teaches that God is one.

Can you guys now show me where the Bible teaches that God is a trinity?

Eliyahu

One Eyed Jack

Bs'd

What, according to you, is the difference between soul and spirit?

Eliyahu

Your soul is your awareness of self. Your spirit is your awareness of God. Animals don't have a spirit (although they do have souls), and most people are spiritually dead. Hope that helps.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I showed you guys all the places where the Bible teaches that God is one.

Can you guys now show me where the Bible teaches that God is a trinity?
Perhaps you missed a response given earlier here. Can you take a time out to fully digest the content linked therein? Perhaps afterwards, the discussion may move in a more substantive manner.

AMR

Elia

Your soul is your awareness of self. Your spirit is your awareness of God. Animals don't have a spirit (although they do have souls), and most people are spiritually dead. Hope that helps.

Bs'd

I think it is a kind of arbitrary. Why would you need a different something to be aware of yourself and to be aware of God?

Anyway, yes, we are created in the image of God, and no, God is not flesh and blood like we, but spirit.

So you cannot say that God is three because we are three.

And anyway, the Bible teaches very clearly that God is ONE, therefore I don't think it is a wise idea to try to find schemes to make Him three anyway.

It will only lead to idol worship.

Because, let's face it, why do you guys want to change a God who is one into a God who is three?

Right, you want to squeeze in a few extra gods.

One God, Y-H-W-H, who is one, is not good enough for you guys, you also want to worship an extra man-god JC, and therefore the one and only true God Y-H-W-H who is one, has to be changed to three.

But it is an illogical extra-Biblical teaching, and flies right in the face of the shma which teaches: "Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4 (and also Mark 12 from verse 28)

Eliyahu light unto the nations

"Hear Israel, Y-H-W-H is our God, Y-H-W-H is ONE!" Deut 6:4

"All the peoples walk each in the name of his god, but as for us; we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God forever and ever!" Micah 4:5

This message is sent to you from Mount Zion, Jerusalem, Israel.

"From Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of Y-H-W-H from Jerusalem." Isaiah 2:3, Micah 4:2

Elia

Perhaps you missed a response given earlier here. Can you take a time out to fully digest the content linked therein? Perhaps afterwards, the discussion may move in a more substantive manner.

AMR

Bs'd

I didn't miss that one, I even looked at the link, but it was too much and too heavy to go through the whole thing.

The Jewish creed "God is one" can be caught in one very short three word sentence.

The Christian trinity seems to be more complicated, so I'm willing to give it some more slack, but that whole article is too much.

Maybe you can give here a condensed version with the essentials in say one page? That would make it much more palatable.

But of course, the much more important thing is: Where is it written in the Bible?

I mean; everybody can make up all kind of teachings, but the question is: Are they from God or from man?

About the fact that God is one, it is a simple undisputed fact that that is what the Bible teaches.

If somebody wants to replace that by "God is three" or "God is a trinity", then he must have very strong Biblical back up in order to push aside the Biblical teaching which says "God is one".

So go for it!

"All the peoples walk each in the name of his god, but as for us; we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God forever and ever!" Micah 4:5

"From Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of Y-H-W-H from Jerusalem." Isaiah 2:3, Micah 4:2

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't miss that one, I even looked at the link, but it was too much and too heavy to go through the whole thing.
If you are going to presume to declare the matter in error, then it is not unreasonable to assume you would do the heavy lifting necessary to come to a fuller understanding of the topic, no?

Studying to show ourselves approved does not mean seeking Cliff's Notes on weighty matters. Why should we take you seriously if your approach to sacred topics is going to be this superficial?

AMR

One Eyed Jack

Bs'd

I think it is a kind of arbitrary. Why would you need a different something to be aware of yourself and to be aware of God?

Think of your soul as this thing you call YOU, all right? Now, your body is your connection to the physical reality. Your spirit is your connection to the spiritual reality.

Anyway, yes, we are created in the image of God, and no, God is not flesh and blood like we, but spirit.

We're spirit too. Our tri-unity is analogous to God's tri-unity. Think of the Father as God's Soul, the Son as His Body (you'll have to grant the Incarnation for this), and the Holy Spirit as His Spirit.

So you cannot say that God is three because we are three.

How many of you are there?

OMEGA

Elia explain this .

Ge 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us,

or this

Joh 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

or this

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

keypurr

Eili is teaching you truth from God's word. Listen to him. God is ONE not three. Choose which book is important to you, the Bible or some other. It is time to stand up and be counted by God, not your church.

O foolish man, how long will you keep your head in the sands of tradition. Wake up. God is calling. The Trinity is a man made foolish lie to take you away from the true creator. It is evil and the folks who pushed it on the church will be judged for it.

Babylon is falling, come out of her.

Elia

If you are going to presume to declare the matter in error, then it is not unreasonable to assume you would do the heavy lifting necessary to come to a fuller understanding of the topic, no?

Studying to show ourselves approved does not mean seeking Cliff's Notes on weighty matters. Why should we take you seriously if your approach to sacred topics is going to be this superficial?

AMR

Bs'd

It is really very simple: The Bible teaches that God is one. (1)

If somebody teaches something else, whether it is that God is 2, 3, 3 in 1, a trinity, or whatever else which is not one, then I know that it is contradicting the Bible.

I know that the trinity implies something different than one, somehow implying three.

Even if don't know the finer details of the trinity, (and let's face it, if you ask 10 Christians about the trinity, you'll get 20 different opinions) I still know it is going against the Bible.

And that's all I need to know in order to reject it.

Elia

Think of your soul as this thing you call YOU, all right? Now, your body is your connection to the physical reality. Your spirit is your connection to the spiritual reality.

Bs'd

According to my humble opinion, my soul IS the spiritual reality, and therefore I don't need a "spirit".

We're spirit too. Our tri-unity is analogous to God's tri-unity.

We are flesh and blood. God is not flesh and blood, He is spirit. Therefore, even if we were a trinity, there is no way that God resembles us.

Think of the Father as God's Soul, the Son as His Body (you'll have to grant the Incarnation for this), and the Holy Spirit as His Spirit.
How many of you are there?

There is only one of me, as far as I know.

And there is only one God. The catch however is, that that one God IS one.

Christianity believes in one God who is tree.

The Tenach (and also the NT) teaches us that there is only one God who is ONE. (and therefore not two, not three, not three in one, not a trinity, but ONE)

Can you guys understand that, that there is one God who is one, and not one God who is three?

Elia

Elia explain this .

Ge 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us,

Bs'd

Genesis 1:26; "Let us make man" If anybody finds in a text the word "us", would any normal person assume that it refers to one person with a multi-personality disorder? Of course not.

But why then, when Christians see the word "us" in the Bible, do they think that?

Gen 1:26 is used as a 'proof' that there is more than one God, or one God who is not one, eventhough the Bible clearly teaches that there is only one God who is one. and despite the fact that there are several other valid explanations for the plural word "us". One explanation is that it is a majestic plural as used by kings. Another possible explanation is that God was talking to the angels.

Some Christians try to refute the last argument by saying that the angels didn't create. They point to Genesis 1:1; "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." They say: 'God was the creator, and not the angels.' However, it is a given in Jewish law that an emissary is equal to the one who sends him. When a Jewish man marries a woman through an agent, the legal effect is the same as when he marries her personally. A good Biblical example of this is to be found in Genesis 19 where is spoken about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. God sent two angels to destroy the cities, the angels said to Lot in verse 13: "For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the LORD, and the LORD has sent us to destroy it." Upon this Lot says to his sons in law: "Up, get out of this place; for the LORD is about to destroy the city." Lot didn't say: "The angels are going to destroy the city" He said: "The LORD (Y-H-W-H in the Hebrew text) is going to destroy the city". And in verse 29 it is written: "So it was that, when God destroyed the cities of the valley...." So the angels were send by God to destroy the cities, but God is considered to be the one who did it, because He was the one who sent them. So why shouldn't the same hold true for the creation?

But one way or the other, no plural created man. Look in Genesis 5:1; "When God created man ..." In Hebrew this is: "bara Elohiem adam" Here the verb "to create", in Hebrew "bara", is in the singular, indicating clearly that Elohiem who created man is one. The same goes for the very first verse of the Bible: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." The word created is here written in the singular; it says "bara". If God was a plural, it should have been "baru".

or this

Joh 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

or this

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

I don't believe in the NT, so I don't see any use in explaining it.

What I can tell you, is that everybody can claim to be God.

Mental institutions are full of people like that.

Eliyahu

Elia

Yes it does.

The Bible also teaches that the Word is God and that the Word became flesh.

Bs'd

Only the NT. And that is what is under discussion here.

"For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of Y-H-W-H our God for ever and ever." Micah 4:5

Status
Not open for further replies.