Caster Semenya might not be a girl and Usain Bolt might not be a human.

The Berean

what happens if he/she is a he-she.... as in genetically "both"

I'm not sure. It's not as if she was trying to cheat. Her genes are her genes. But I think if there is some issue she is still mostly female. Her 800 m times are those of a fast male high school runner.

patman

I'm not sure. It's not as if she was trying to cheat. Her genes are her genes. But I think if there is some issue she is still mostly female. Her 800 m times are those of a fast male high school runner.

True. I am, by no means, a doctor. Due to empathy pains I even find it difficult to watch the medical documentaries. My wife is complete opposite and is in the medical field and loves that stuff and watches shows about it often.

That said, she was watching a show about hermaphrodites. I was half in and half out, really not trying (nor wanting, as with anything medical) to pay attention but couldn't shut off my brain. I remember (as unreliable as my memory is here) them saying that some doctors were making their parents pick a gender for them.

Again, take no fact from that. I guess my point here is that there is a lot of confusion about these issues and the many ways things can be different in these extreme cases.

My empathy pains are kicking in again. I hope no one ever has to go through this.

Machka

I like Bolt as a role model for dedication and success in a sport. I don't like how he celebrates his impending victory before crossing the finish line, however. It really makes him come off as being very boastful.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He isn't female, that is what is important to the athletic community. That is the only reason for the story.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So does this make Caster a pervert?
Why don't you go ask? :idunno:

Discovering genetic abnormalities doesn't make one a pervert in my opinion. But it would sure make for one confused and difficult situation.

Much better to be born without such problems, wouldn't you agree?