Copyright traps on maps

Derf

Pre-Law, so no condemnation would be applied for it by God.
It is written..."Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin." (Rom 3:20)
That doesn't mean God's happy about what they're doing and wants to reward them, right?

And it was only 80 years before the law.

Hoping

Banned
That doesn't mean God's happy about what they're doing and wants to reward them, right?

And it was only 80 years before the law.
I can't speak for God, but He did reward them.
You are correct about the 80 years.
After which, lying was declared against God's will.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because intellectual property is not, in an economic sense, scarce. And because it is not scarce, it must take ownership of physical property to exist.

As an example, if one buys a book, copyright says the person who owns the ideas in a book owns the book. But then one did not buy the book. That's a contradiction to reality.

This is a simple example that exposes the problem. But just because it is simple, doesn't make it easy. You might site contract law, but contracts have specific properties that are not supported by current copyright law. And they aren't supported because they would be economically unfeasible.

marke

Yeah, go figure.
As she was a non-Jew, she was not knowledgeable of the Law given to the Jews.
So it wasn't held against her by God.
Don't be silly. If Gentiles are not responsible for keeping the law then how are they to be judged for their sins? Gentiles know what is right and wrong because they have consciences just like everyone else. The Bible says the law is written in their hearts.

Romans 2:14-16

King James Version

14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because intellectual property is not, in an economic sense, scarce. And because it is not scarce, it must take ownership of physical property to exist.

As an example, if one buys a book, copyright says the person who owns the ideas in a book owns the book. But then one did not buy the book. That's a contradiction to reality.

This is a simple example that exposes the problem. But just because it is simple, doesn't make it easy. You might site contract law, but contracts have specific properties that are not supported by current copyright law. And they aren't supported because they would be economically unfeasible.
Good point.

Copyright is based on greed. (I'll only share my ideas if you pay for them.)

marke

Good point.

If there was no profit in producing materials of value then there would likely be no materials of value produced. Maybe greed is good if it motivates some people to provide good things for others to buy.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If there was no profit in producing materials of value then there would likely be no materials of value produced.
The greedy and selfish wouldn't.

Maybe greed is good if it motivates some people to provide good things for others to buy.
Or, share good things that you are able to because it is the right thing to do.
It is better to give than receive.
The love of money is the root of all evil.

marke

The greedy and selfish wouldn't.

Or, share good things that you are able to because it is the right thing to do.
It is better to give than receive.
The love of money is the root of all evil.
The idea that making a profit is evil is an evil idea in itself. Nobody who works for a living has money to pay his bills if he does not make a profit through his labors. Marxists are all wrong about that but Marxists tend to reject God and the morals and values of Christians.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Good point.

So if a man comes up with an idea for something that no one else has thought of yet, he cannot sell access to his idea to provide for his family?

How is that greedy?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good point.

There it's nothing wrong with only sharing an idea if someone pays for it. But since ideas are not scarce in an economic sense someone else can have the same idea and then you won't be able to profit from it anymore.

When this was argued before, someone said we'd never have the software we have today without copyright. But don't people need the things software provides? Can one think of a scenario where they wouldn't have that need fulfilled even if they paid directly for it?

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'll only share my ideas if you pay for them.
Isn't that what every office worker who deals in intangibles does?

I worked for years as a data analyst in a Dilbert job. I would receive data, I would manipulate data, I would produce new forms of that data. The product of my effort was intangible, but necessary for the functioning of the company. I was being paid for my ideas.

Was that selfish of me?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Your premise is wrong.

If someone buys a book, they buy a licence to read that book. The author of the book owns the rights to produce that book, without anyone being able to copy his work and claim it as his own, because that would be theft, of not only the book that was produced, but also of the author's time, the amount of his life that he spent writing, producing, and selling that book. It would literally be a theft of the author's LIFE! And God is EXPLICITLY CLEAR about man's right his life, that no man (not talking about government here, which is a whole other can of worms) has the right to take it from him.

That is what TRUE copyright law should be based upon.

IS based on.

Last edited: