Coral Ridge Ministries and CSI

cur_deus_homo

Originally posted by Nineveh

Time grows short for me today as the weekend approaches :) Would you be interested in a thread about that in a couple of days?
Sure. If you're taking off now have a good weekend. Be safe, be glad, and rejoice, for Christ is Risen!

:D

aharvey

Yes, I am familiar with "string". I am curious, is it the theory or the data that makes you feel compelled to avoid that explaination?

By "familiar with," I didn't mean "ever heard of," I meant "ever tried to understand the model; the mathematics, the assumptions, the analytical basis." This stuff is far more intense than even the most arcane avenues in evolutionary theory. I am very, very certain that you are not familiar with string theory in this sense, otherwise you would understand why I don't have any strong opinions about the origin of matter! (I'm finally realizing that this is counterintuitive to you, but for some of us, the less we understand something, the weaker our opinions on it.)

At this point I would like to ask: is that "flukey conditions" of nature?

Yes? Sorry for the question mark, but "nature" seems like one of those words much abused by YECs.

Do you have an idea if that would have been on land, sea or air?

No.

Jukia

What makes evo any more or less "true" to you than your feelings about how matter came to be?

Because I have a better educational background in biology than I do in physics or cosmology. And it is not really a question of what is "true", somehow I think that is a loaded word.

Until someone is able to show me something else that makes sense given the facts--evolution is it--end of story--the exact process may be a combination of natural selection, punctuated equilibrium, genetic drift, mutations etc (check with some of the real working scientists on this board) but the bottom line is that the earth is 4+ billion years old, the universe is 15+/- years old, all life on earth has evolved. Yeah maybe that is the truth (loaded word or not).

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by aharvey

By "familiar with," I didn't mean "ever heard of," I meant "ever tried to understand the model; the mathematics, the assumptions, the analytical basis." This stuff is far more intense than even the most arcane avenues in evolutionary theory. I am very, very certain that you are not familiar with string theory in this sense, otherwise you would understand why I don't have any strong opinions about the origin of matter! (I'm finally realizing that this is counterintuitive to you, but for some of us, the less we understand something, the weaker our opinions on it.)

I will assume your answer to be "the data". Have you considered other theories for the origins of matter besides "string"?

Yes? Sorry for the question mark, but "nature" seems like one of those words much abused by YECs.

Your use of "flukey conditions" refers to the environment (nature) then, correct?

On the question of "how matter got into a form of "ancestor", you do not know where. Do you have any thoughts on "how"?

Last edited:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Jukia

Because I have a better educational background in biology than I do in physics or cosmology. And it is not really a question of what is "true", somehow I think that is a loaded word.

As it's just you and I talking, you may feel free to assume it's your thoughts I'm asking about.

What do you feel "banged" to produce all the matter from the "big bang"?

Until someone is able to show me something else that makes sense given the facts--evolution is it--end of story

I can see you believe that and I won't take issue with it. However, the two questions I asked are not answerable by evo, remember?

--the exact process may be a combination of natural selection, punctuated equilibrium, genetic drift, mutations etc (check with some of the real working scientists on this board) but the bottom line is that the earth is 4+ billion years old, the universe is 15+/- years old, all life on earth has evolved. Yeah maybe that is the truth (loaded word or not).

Surely you are not forcing darwin to answer the second of those two questions with this statement.

What do you believe happened to arrive at an "ancestor"?

Jukia

As it's just you and I talking, you may feel free to assume it's your thoughts I'm asking about.

What do you feel "banged" to produce all the matter from the "big bang"?

I can see you believe that and I won't take issue with it. However, the two questions I asked are not answerable by evo, remember?

Surely you are not forcing darwin to answer the second of those two questions with this statement.

What do you believe happened to arrive at an "ancestor"?

What is it that you are trying to get at here?

Evolution fits with the time frame of the age of the earth, as best I can tell the math people and the science people have determined that if you run the clock backwards you come to t a point from which everything starts in such a manner that the physics of the start is very strange. I don't know what started it all.

I am as sure as I can be however that the Genesis story is not literal, that the earth is not 6000 +/- years old, there was no world wide Noah's flood, no tower of Babel, no Garden of Eden. to believe otherwise is to close your eyes to the evidence.

Evolution is a fact.
Evolution should be taught in schools, not "creation science" AiG and the like are not scientific organizaitions. They are for the most part fundamentalist, Genesis is literal organizaitons. Their science is bogus and clearly meant to do nothing but foster the fundamentalist Christian view of the world which ignores most of what human intellect has determined.

Bad week coming up. Not sure if I will get a chance to get back here for a bit. But you kids play nice, now.

aharvey

I will assume your answer to be "the data". Have you considered other theories for the origins of matter besides "string"?

String theory isn't really a theory on the origin of matter, more on the nature of matter. My point is that we don't even understand what matter is, which makes it challenging, to say the least, to understand how it originated!

Your use of "flukey conditions" refers to the environment (nature) then, correct?

Yes.

On the question of "how matter got into a form of "ancestor", you do not know where. Do you have any thoughts on "how"?

Again, this is out of my bailiwick. I love biology, but I do not enjoy "pieces of animal" biology (e.g., biochemistry, molecular biology) so much. My biggest hunch concerning conventional wisdom is that biologists haven't fully incorporated the notion that even the simplest life forms we see today are 3 or 4 billion years removed from their earliest ancestor. One implication: earliest life probably was very different from anything we've imagined. Frankly, earliest "life" may not even have qualified as "life," at least using the criteria that biologists have erected to deal with life today. Very much in the same way that the earliest "whales" share so little with modern whales that, using our modern criteria for defining whales, they would almost certainly have been classified as something else.

Now let me ask you something, actually the same exact thing you've been asking me and the other evolutionary types. Because, like Jukia, I'm having trouble understanding what you really want from us, so perhaps it would help if you answered your own questions at the same level of precision, detail, whatever, that you're seeking from us. That is, how do you think:

1) the universe originated?
2) matter originated?
3) life originated?

Remember, answer at the level you seek from me; e.g., if you're looking for generalities (e.g., "God" vs. "nature"), or specific mechanisms, locations, and conditions.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Jukia

What is it that you are trying to get at here?

Simply answers to 2 questions: Where did matter come from and how did that matter get into an "ancestor" form.

I don't know what started it all.

I will assume you mean you don't know how the matter got into an "ancestor" form as you have already given your answer to where matter came from (big bang).

Bad week coming up. Not sure if I will get a chance to get back here for a bit. But you kids play nice, now.

Hope all goes well with you.

Nineveh

Merely Christian

String theory isn't really a theory on the origin of matter, more on the nature of matter. My point is that we don't even understand what matter is, which makes it challenging, to say the least, to understand how it originated!

Oddly enough, I was asking for your ideas on the topic. At this point, is it an "I don't know", or "I don't care." or other? I am realy hoping it's "other" as I would like to read what you believe about where matter came from.

Thank you.

One implication: earliest life probably was very different from anything we've imagined. Frankly, earliest "life" may not even have qualified as "life," at least using the criteria that biologists have erected to deal with life today. Very much in the same way that the earliest "whales" share so little with modern whales that, using our modern criteria for defining whales, they would almost certainly have been classified as something else.

So basically what you are saying is after matter came from somewhere, something flukey happened and we wound up with something. Am I close to what your ideas are on where matter came from and how it got into an "ancestor" form?

Now let me ask you something, actually the same exact thing you've been asking me and the other evolutionary types. Because, like Jukia, I'm having trouble understanding what you really want from us,

To make it absolutely clear, I wanted your ideas on where matter came from and how it got into an "ancestor" form.

so perhaps it would help if you answered your own questions at the same level of precision, detail, whatever, that you're seeking from us. That is, how do you think:

1) the universe originated?
2) matter originated?

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. This would be when God brought matter into existence.

3) life originated?

Day two God created plants. Day 4 God created the fish and fowl. Day 6 He created land creatures and lastly He created man.

Remember, answer at the level you seek from me; e.g., if you're looking for generalities (e.g., "God" vs. "nature"), or specific mechanisms, locations, and conditions.

I answered according to what I expect from you, your beliefs.

aharvey

So basically what you are saying is after matter came from somewhere, something flukey happened and we wound up with something. Am I close to what your ideas are on where matter came from and how it got into an "ancestor" form?
Yep, that's about right.

Originally posted by Nineveh [aharvey: my emphases: see comment below]

To make it absolutely clear, I wanted your ideas on where matter came from and how it got into an "ancestor" form.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. This would be when God brought matter into existence.

Day two God created plants. Day 4 God created the fish and fowl. Day 6 He created land creatures and lastly He created man.

I answered according to what I expect from you, your beliefs.
Hmm, no, I don't think you're really answering the questions at the same level you're asking them. You didn't say "where" God got the matter. You didn't say "how" he turned nonliving material into living material. So basically what you are saying is after matter came from God, God did something flukey and we wound up with life. Am I close to what your ideas are on where matter came from and how it got into living forms?

Nineveh

Merely Christian

Yep, that's about right.

To keep this upfront:

"matter came from somewhere, something flukey happened and we wound up with something."

Hmm, no, I don't think you're really answering the questions at the same level you're asking them.

Why?

You didn't say "where" God got the matter.

To quote myself:

"This would be when God brought matter into existence."

You didn't say "how" he turned nonliving material into living material.

God created life out of the matter He had brought into existence. How is still a secret to mankind. But we keep looking :)

So basically what you are saying is after matter came from God, God did something flukey

No. "Flukey" belongs to you.

and we wound up with life. Am I close to what your ideas are on where matter came from and how it got into living forms?

Except the "fluke" part. God knew what He was doing and did it in His power and wisdom.

aharvey

To keep this upfront:

"matter came from somewhere, something flukey happened and we wound up with something."
As opposed to "God got matter from somewhere, did something flukey to it and we wound up with something." (see below on "flukey.") So far, you've provided less information about how you think the universe, matter, and life originated than I have, even though unlike you, I don't even see the relevance of our beliefs!

Why?
Why are you not answering the questions you asked? I don't know.

To quote myself:

"This would be when God brought matter into existence."
"When" is not the same as "from where" or "how."

God created life out of the matter He had brought into existence. How is still a secret to mankind.
Meaning you don't know? Why did you not accept that answer to that question from me?

But we keep looking :)
Do you think it's appropriate for "us" to keep looking?

No. "Flukey" belongs to you.

Well, not exactly, although perhaps "flukey" was not the best choice of word. My point was that very, very few (perhaps only one) of all the combinations of environmental conditions found on the planet throughout history would have been conducive to "life." That would be just as true if God willed those conditions or not.

Except the "fluke" part. God knew what He was doing and did it in His power and wisdom.

See above. The conditions necessary were unique regardless of whodunit. So far, you've provided less information about how you think the universe, matter, and life originated than I have, even though unlike you, I don't even see the relevance of our beliefs!

Nineveh

Merely Christian

As opposed to "God got matter from somewhere, did something flukey to it and we wound up with something."

No, that's your story substituting God for whatever agent you won't quite name. God didn't get matter at a Blue Light Special, He created it. He didn't guess on how it all went together.

(see below on "flukey.") So far, you've provided less information about how you think the universe, matter, and life originated than I have, even though unlike you, I don't even see the relevance of our beliefs!

I have interest in talking about what you believe, my beliefs can be found in Genesis if you want further reading. But to find out what you believe, I have to ask you questions. Trying to downplay the age old question of "how did it all get here." only sounds like a dodge.

"When" is not the same as "from where" or "how."

So far you don't have any better answer for when, how or where.

Meaning you don't know? Why did you not accept that answer to that question from me?

I did. All I have asked for were your ideas on what happened, later you gave them to me:

Thank you.

Do you think it's appropriate for "us" to keep looking?

Of course!

Well, not exactly, although perhaps "flukey" was not the best choice of word. My point was that very, very few (perhaps only one) of all the combinations of environmental conditions found on the planet throughout history would have been conducive to "life." That would be just as true if God willed those conditions or not.

God created a perfect environment then placed living things into it.

See above. The conditions necessary were unique regardless of whodunit.

Not so says a biogenesis. One form of amino acid needs one sort of environment, others need something different.

So far, you've provided less information about how you think the universe, matter, and life originated than I have, even though unlike you, I don't even see the relevance of our beliefs!

If you are happy going through life believing as you do, who is to stop you? I needed more than what only science can offer.

aharvey

No, that's your story substituting God for whatever agent you won't quite name.

No, that's your pejorative summary of my story. Why is it okay for you to distill my ideas to this little sentence but not for me to distill your ideas to that same level?

God didn't get matter at a Blue Light Special, He created it. He didn't guess on how it all went together.

Created from what?

I have interest in talking about what you believe, my beliefs can be found in Genesis if you want further reading. But to find out what you believe, I have to ask you questions. Trying to downplay the age old question of "how did it all get here." only sounds like a dodge.

Dodging what? Genesis gives only a very general overview. Remember how you said it's not a science textbook? If you're not willing to reach past Genesis, to give any more details than me on how it all began, why aren't you just as guilty of dodging?

So far you don't have any better answer for when, how or where.

So? I never claimed to. My argument, from the start, has been that you don't have to know how it all began to understand what it's been up to since. You seem to reject that idea, for reasons that are as yet unarticulated, as well as my "beliefs" about how it all began. But your beliefs about how it all began don't seem any more developed than mine.

I did. All I have asked for were your ideas on what happened, later you gave them to me:

Just as long as you remember that you're quoting yourself here, not me (you've been known to falsely, and stubbornly, attribute statements to others).

And actually, you didn't just ask me what happened, you're asking how and from where. Big difference.

Of course!

Interesting. So do creationists have any evidence whatsoever about, for example, how "God created life out of the matter He had brought into existence"?

God created a perfect environment then placed living things into it.

Why italicize "then"? A naturalistic model would also first require a tolerable environment before life could survive. And in any case, wouldn't you agree that there are a great many sets of environmental conditions that are perfectly awful for most forms of life? God chose one nice one out of a whole lot of nasty possibilities. The core difference is you require a superintelligent being to exist prior to life, prior to the Earth, prior to the universe, prior to matter, to figure out and implement these events.

Not so says a biogenesis. One form of amino acid needs one sort of environment, others need something different.

Yeah, but you're forgetting my warning that "life" as we know it is probably very, very different from "life" at the beginning.

If you are happy going through life believing as you do, who is to stop you? I needed more than what only science can offer.

Well, duh. Even scientists need more than only science in their lives. But what specifically are you referring to here?

Nineveh

Merely Christian

No, that's your pejorative summary of my story. Why is it okay for you to distill my ideas to this little sentence but not for me to distill your ideas to that same level?

You agreed to the simplification of what you believe, I've corrected you twice.

Created from what?

He created matter through the power of His Word.

Dodging what? Genesis gives only a very general overview. Remember how you said it's not a science textbook? If you're not willing to reach past Genesis, to give any more details than me on how it all began, why aren't you just as guilty of dodging?

I'm not the one making excuses like, " I don't even see the relevance of our beliefs!" If you don't want to share what you believe fine, we can end the convo.

To me it matters.

And actually, you didn't just ask me what happened, you're asking how and from where. Big difference.

Ok, would it be easier for you to answer, "What happened to bring about matter and what happened to bring about that matter becoming an "ancestor"? Either way:

seems to cover what you believe about it all.

Interesting. So do creationists have any evidence whatsoever about, for example, how "God created life out of the matter He had brought into existence"?

No more than abiogenesis can explain how it happend without His hand.

Why italicize "then"? A naturalistic model would also first require a tolerable environment before life could survive.

Not quite.

Remember, you say "somtheing flukey happened in the environment (nature)" to allow such a thing as abiogenisis to happen. God designed a functioning environment then placed life into it. Scientists can get a few amino acids with different environments.

And in any case, wouldn't you agree that there are a great many sets of environmental conditions that are perfectly awful for most forms of life?

"Perfectly awful" meaning?

God chose one nice one out of a whole lot of nasty possibilities. The core difference is you require a superintelligent being to exist prior to life, prior to the Earth, prior to the universe, prior to matter, to figure out and implement these events.

Science is looking for a naturalistic answer, but so far what they are finding is specialized environments for one or two amino acids at a time. They are also finding one specialized environment too hostile for other amino acids.

Yeah, but you're forgetting my warning that "life" as we know it is probably very, very different from "life" at the beginning.

Probably? What evidence have you found to support your idea?

Well, duh. Even scientists need more than only science in their lives. But what specifically are you referring to here?

Well, as of those two questions, you don't seem to be among them.

cur_deus_homo

Originally posted by docpotato

all of this just makes me wonder where god came from.
Probably came out of retirement after creating and managing a different universe to create and manage this one...

aharvey

You agreed to the simplification of what you believe, I've corrected you twice.

Disagreed and corrected are not the same thing. I missed where you told me where God got the matter, or where you told me what non-flukey thing He did to create life. Isn’t that what you want me to explain? And although you gave a seemingly more specific prediction about what the initial product was, since we’ll never know what a biblical kind is, you’ll never be able to specify what that initial product was!

He created matter through the power of His Word.

What does that mean, exactly? Created it from what? Isn’t that what you’re asking me?

I'm not the one making excuses like, " I don't even see the relevance of our beliefs!" If you don't want to share what you believe fine, we can end the convo.

Nice dodge there, avoiding entirely the issue I raised! Here, let me repeat: “Genesis gives only a very general overview. Remember how you said it's not a science textbook? If you're not willing to reach past Genesis, to give any more details than me on how it all began, why aren't you just as guilty of dodging?�

To me it matters.

Ah, I like how you conveniently leave out the rest of my statement. Here, let me remind you what else I said here: “I never claimed to. My argument, from the start, has been that you don't have to know how it all began to understand what it's been up to since. You seem to reject that idea, for reasons that are as yet unarticulated, as well as my "beliefs" about how it all began. But your beliefs about how it all began don't seem any more developed than mine.� So, apparently, to you it only matters how undeveloped my ideas are, not yours?

Ok, would it be easier for you to answer, "What happened to bring about matter and what happened to bring about that matter becoming an "ancestor"? Either way:

seems to cover what you believe about it all.

… from which you would conclude what?

No more than abiogenesis can explain how it happend without His hand.

As you well know, “No more than� is the same as “Only as much as, or less than�, and encompasses “Absolutely none whatsoever.� Why don’t you just say “absolutely none whatsoever�? If you disagree with this, then please show me that evidence.

Not quite.

Remember, you say "somtheing flukey happened in the environment (nature)" to allow such a thing as abiogenisis to happen. God designed a functioning environment then placed life into it. Scientists can get a few amino acids with different environments.

You’ve just repeated yourself. That doesn’t clarify anything.

I don’t think it’s quite accurate to say something flukey happened in the environment to allow abiogenesis. It’s more accurate to say that conditions favorable to abiogenesis are pretty darn rare.

How do you define “functioning environment�? What do you mean by a functioning, lifeless environment?

"Perfectly awful" meaning?

Extremely incompatible.

Science is looking for a naturalistic answer, but so far what they are finding is specialized environments for one or two amino acids at a time. They are also finding one specialized environment too hostile for other amino acids.

Your point being…?

Probably? What evidence have you found to support your idea?

Well, think about it. There are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of fossils that belong to organisms that look very different to nothing like anything that is alive today, from which I conclude that today’s living organisms do not completely cover the diversity of life in earlier times. Is that unreasonable?

Now, think about all the organisms for which we have absolutely no fossil record, particularly microorganisms. Does the fact that we have no fossil record for these guys tell you that they did not exist in earlier times? I hope not! For that matter, does the fact that they weren’t mentioned in Genesis imply that they weren’t around when other life forms were? We know that rates of evolution depend on, among other things, generation times, and that microorganisms have, on average, far faster generation times than do macroorganisms. So if we see lots of macroorganisms in the fossil record that look nothing like modern macroorganisms, it is a virtual certainty that the microorganisms of these days were probably even more different from modern microorganisms. Is that unreasonable?

Now, under the “anything but the literal interpretation of Genesis� view, the earliest life was surely not a macroorganism. Thus, microorganisms not only have the potential to change more rapidly than do macroorganisms, but they’ve been around much longer to do so. Thus, the earliest life forms would have been very, very different from anything we know about today. Is that unreasonable?

I understand that you won’t consider this “evidence;� your filter on evidence for ideas you don’t like is severe enough that it is absolutely impossible for there to be any Niniveh-approved evidence for any of this (heck, it is theoretically impossible to produce evidence that could convince you that birds evolved from dinosaurs, and that happened billions of years later!).

But so what? This may come as a shock to you, since you obviously don’t read anything I write unless you can find a way to twist it to your advantage, but I don’t actually work in this discipline. You asked for my thoughts on the subject. One of my thoughts, more of a suspicion, is that life today is extremely different from life at the start, and I believe I even commented that I suspected that this idea isn’t fully appreciated in the larger biological community. So why would you even expect me to have evidence? At least I can present a logical, coherent case.

Well, as of those two questions, you don't seem to be among them.

Because I don’t dwell on these two questions? That’s pretty cynical. And ironic: I obviously don’t spent more than a tiny fraction of the time you spend pondering these imponderables, and yet so far I don’t see any way in which your story is any stronger than mine in detail, coherence, evidential support, and completeness.

aharvey

Originally posted by docpotato

all of this just makes me wonder where god came from.

Me too. The same YEC brain that 1) dismisses as utterly preposterous the notion that natural processes, even over incredibly long periods of time, could lead to matter, universe, and life as we know it also 2) accepts without question the notion that this would be trivially easy to do in a few days for a supernatural entity (why isn't utter preposterousness even momentarily considered here?), AND 3) doesn't consider the question of God's origin relevant. Very curious.