Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

6days

It's this sort of nonsense that led Christian geologist Davis young to state...

"The maintenance of modern creationism and Flood geology not only is useless apologetically with unbelieving scientists, it is harmful. Although many who....

Others have the reverse experience of Davis going from atheist to young earth Geologist.
One thing almost for certain in the people like Davis, is that they never received good teaching or answers connecting Genesis to the Gospel.

Jose Fly

That's right 6days. You just keep right on tying Christianity to young-earth creationism and flood geology. :thumb:

Silent Hunter

Others have the reverse experience of Davis going from atheist to young earth Geologist.
Significantly fewer but it does happen.
One thing almost for certain in the people like Davis, is that they never received good teaching or answers connecting Genesis to the Gospel.
Connecting Genesis to the Gospel? Yeah, that's probably a whole lot easier than connecting creationism to actual science. It works something like, 1+2+3+4+(a miracle)=100.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Stuu

That's right 6days. You just keep right on tying Christianity to young-earth creationism and flood geology. :thumb:
Richard Dawkins cites the case of 'leading' creationist Kurt Wise who acknowledges that the evidence of geology, in which he has a doctorate, contradicts the biblical narrative almost completely. Yet he has decided to follow scripture not evidence. I think this quote sums up the basis of his 'science':

'My understanding from Scripture is that the universe is in the order of 6,000 years old. Once that has been determined by Scripture, it is a starting point that we build theories upon. It is within those boundaries that we can construct new theories'

Wise is unashamed about tying YEC (not sure about flood mythology) to christianity. His life's work is to reconcile the two.

Surely the only reasonable conclusion he could draw is that the whole observable universe is a god-generated illusion.

Stuart

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I attempted to show Stripe just how much energy 1.0x10^28J is:1.0x10^28J vs 3.8x10^26J/sec from Sun.It takes the ENTIRE Sun almost half-a-minute (3.8x10^26J/sec) to produce the 1.0x10^28J in Baumgardner's model.If we assume that it takes 9,900,000J to boil one gallon of water and if we assume that there are 326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of water in all the Earth's oceans:9.9x10^6J/gallon x 3.26x10^20 gallons = ~3.23x10^27J to BOIL all the water in Earth's oceans.1.0x10^28J - 3.23x10^27J = ~6.8x10^27JThis STILL leaves ~6.8x10^27J which is MORE THAN TWICE the energy necessary just to boil all of the water in all the oceans on Earth.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Repeating the same error just shows how utterly out of your depth you are. You don't get points for being able to add when you cannot grasp the fundamentals of physics.

Silent Hunter

Repeating the same error just shows how utterly out of your depth you are.
And yet you're completely unable to direct anyone to exactly what that error is beyond, "Evolutionists hate reading" and :mock: evolutionists or any of a number of your pat replies.
You don't get points for being able to add when you cannot grasp the fundamentals of physics.
It's interesting that my inability to "grasp the fundamentals of physics" hasn't impaired my career as an engineer. That you can't comprehend the amount of energy being discussed greatly exceeds that of a stretched rubber band is revealing of YOUR "inability to grasp the fundamentals of physics". 1x10^28J is, in the language of a local car dealership, "HUGE!!".

Jose Fly

If he said all that energy was released as heat, you should have provided that quote immediately when I challenged you on your error.

Again, here is what I said...

Pay attention...it's not my theory, it's yours. And that forming entire mountain ranges in a single year or less requires so much energy that it would boil off the oceans doesn't come from me, it comes from your fellow creationists, i.e., John Baumgardner who estimated 1028 joules of energy would be released under this scenario. That's more than enough to turn the entire planet into a steam cooker.

Don't blame me if you can't read.

6days

Stuu said:
Richard Dawkins cites the case of 'leading' creationist Kurt Wise who acknowledges that the evidence of geology, in which he has a doctorate, contradicts the biblical narrative almost completely.
Are you misrepresenting Dawkins? I'm quite familiar with the statements Wise has made. Wise is a paleontogist who says he will believe God's Word over mans opinions of the evidence...and that there is evidence supporting the Biblical position for a young earth.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Again, here is what I said...

Pay attention...it's not my theory, it's yours. And that forming entire mountain ranges in a single year or less requires so much energy that it would boil off the oceans doesn't come from me, it comes from your fellow creationists, i.e., John Baumgardner who estimated 1028 joules of energy would be released under this scenario. That's more than enough to turn the entire planet into a steam cooker.

Don't blame me if you can't read.
Repeating your error doesn't help.

When energy is released, that does not mean it has to go toward boiling oceans.

Silent Hunter

Repeating your error doesn't help.

When energy is released, that does not mean it has to go toward boiling oceans.
You just refuse to understand the concept.

We're not stretching rubber bands here. 1x10^28J of heat is more than THREE TIMES what is needed to BOIL ALL of the water in ALL of the oceans on Earth.

Silent Hunter

You just refuse to understand the concept.

We're not stretching rubber bands here. 1x10^28J of heat is more than THREE TIMES what is needed to BOIL ALL of the water in ALL of the oceans on Earth.

And boiling ALL of the water isn't necessary to spoil Baumgardner's "theory".

Stuu

Are you misrepresenting Dawkins? I'm quite familiar with the statements Wise has made. Wise is a paleontogist who says he will believe God's Word over mans opinions of the evidence...and that there is evidence supporting the Biblical position for a young earth.
On pages 284-286 of The God Delusion Dawkins discusses Kurt Wise in some detail, and takes some pity on the situation into which he has forced himself.

Like the problem of evil and other such nonsense, Wise's issues only exist because christianity exists. The mythology of the ancient Jews has been a blight on humanity. Had christianity never been invented, Wise might have made a significant contribution to his field of human endeavour. As it is, he has wasted his brief time on the planet with fantasy conspiracy theories. And they are not even theories, and he has said exactly that himself.

Stuart

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then where did it go Stripe?
Refusing to understand your error doesn't help either.
We're not stretching rubber bands here. 1x10^28J of heat is more than THREE TIMES what is needed to BOIL ALL of the water in ALL of the oceans on Earth.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You just refuse to understand the concept. There is energy made available; it is wrong to declare that this must go toward boiling oceans.

It's like saying the sun is so hot that the oceans must be all gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.