Dangerously Cold Record Low Temps

drbrumley

To Hit Chicago, Midwest.

It could be warmer above the Arctic Circle than in Chicago by Wednesday, with Bloomberg reporting that temperatures are forecast to fall in the Windy City to 20-to-25 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (minus-29 to minus-32 Celsius).

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
stepped outside last night for about twenty seconds, to start the grill and throw a frozen burger on

ambient temp was -6, winds gusting to 40, windchill horrible - 20 seconds and all my exposed skin froze

when i went back out in five minutes to check the burger, bundled up - the wind was gone and it felt fine

take-away - no exposed skin and stay out of the wind

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
we're forecast to be down around zero for the next couple days, but that's normal for the frozen north - the homeless in Chicago are going to suffer

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I live in south central Missouri along I-44. It's supposed to get down to single digits, just above 0 this morning.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
They're stealing coats off people in the streets in Chicago I heard, and the wind chill is -60.

I suppose this is the result of global warming....the pendulum swing or something?

Weather isn't climate. A warmer (and therefore more active) atmosphere may produce more dramatic weather, but you can't point to a particular case and say "Aha! Global warming!"

Ironically, it is warmer temperatures that do this:
The exact details of how this works are complex, but the explanation is simple: warmer land temperatures, particularly in northern North America and northern Eurasia, allow more heat to be transported into the Arctic stratosphere. A warmer Earth makes sudden stratospheric warming events more likely and more frequent. And those events destabilize the polar vortex, bring cold air down into the mid-latitudes, and cause the extreme weather we're experiencing right now.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ing-temperatures-across-the-usa/#1b05a166d8cf

But as I said, this can happen even without global temperatures going up. And has happened in the past when it was relatively cooler.

drbrumley

Weather isn't climate. A warmer (and therefore more active) atmosphere may produce more dramatic weather, but you can't point to a particular case and say "Aha! Global warming!"

The exact details of how this works are complex, but the explanation is simple: warmer land temperatures, particularly in northern North America and northern Eurasia, allow more heat to be transported into the Arctic stratosphere. A warmer Earth makes sudden stratospheric warming events more likely and more frequent. And those events destabilize the polar vortex, bring cold air down into the mid-latitudes, and cause the extreme weather we're experiencing right now.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ing-temperatures-across-the-usa/#1b05a166d8cf

But as I said, this can happen even without global temperatures going up. And has happened in the past when it was relatively cooler.
This polar vortex is from global warming.
And these are not the two droids you’re looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
We could use some more global warming I mean climate change.

DyFkxmaU8AQcZG2.jpg

genuineoriginal

If this global warming keeps going, we will end up in another ice age.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
To Hit Chicago, Midwest.

It could be warmer above the Arctic Circle than in Chicago by Wednesday, with Bloomberg reporting that temperatures are forecast to fall in the Windy City to 20-to-25 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (minus-29 to minus-32 Celsius).

Research at Tokyo University and Japan’s national Institute of Polar Research – published in the current issue of the journal Nature Geoscience – has linked the cold winters with the “rapid decline of Arctic sea ice”, caused by warming, over the past decade.

The most comprehensive computer modelling study on the issue to date, it concludes the risk of severe winters in Europe and Northern Asia has doubled as the result of the climate change.

It works like this, say the scientists. As the ice melts it exposes open water which, being very much darker, absorbs more heat. The warmer water then warms the air above it which in turn, weakens the jet stream, the high level river of air which does much to determine the weather.

As the jet stream slows down it meanders more, causing weather systems to get stuck in place with a “blocking pattern” that pulls cold, Arctic air down over Europe and northern Asia for long periods at a time. And, sure enough they say, recent cold winters have occurred in years when the amount of Arctic sea ice was especially low.

“The origin of frequent Eurasian severe winters is global warming,” says the lead author of the paper, Prof Masato Mori, unequivocally. He expects it to result in a greater number of cold winters for several decades yet, though eventually the world will heat up so much as to overwhelm this effect.

-- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ea...-caused-by-global-warming-say-scientists.html

genuineoriginal

Climate Shock: 90 Percent Of The World’s Glaciers Are GROWING

A new NASA study, released on Friday, admits that ice is accumulating in Antarctica. Satellite measurements show an 82-112 gigaton-a-year net ice gain. That’s 82-112 billion tons per year! Nine zeroes!

in other words that is 112,000,000,000 tons. Per year.

It’s hard to comprehend how much ice that really is, so let’s put it in perspective. Let’s assume that they’re talking short tons (2,000 lbs). That’s about the weight of an old VW Beetle.

Those old Beetles measured 14 feet long. Multiply 112 billion by 14 feet and you get 1,560 billion feet. Divide that by the distance from the earth to the moon (239,000 miles), and you’d have a string of VW Beetles stretching all the way to the moon.

Not once, not twice, but 45 times. All the way to the moon. That’s a helluva lot of new ice. Every single year. And we’re worried about global warming?

Not only is the Antarctic Ice Sheet growing, NASA admits that the growth is actually reducing sea-level rise. This also confirms what I’ve been saying all along. Antarctica contains 90 percent of the earth’s ice. If the Antarctic Ice Sheet is growing, wouldn’t that mean that more than 90 percent of the world’s glaciers are growing?