Definition of a Christian

turbosixx

How far do you have to follow him to earn the gift of salvation/eternal life? Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 6:23

We can't earn it, but we can choose not to keep it.

Heb. 3:12 Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end,

john w

Hall of Fame
Keypurr and Ben are NOT Christians, so you can eliminate those two.
GM is verbose and Dan is repetitive, but both don't really address the OP.
Technically the correct answer is "Follower of Christ", but that can ONLY be done is one has salvation.

Many say "follower of Christ." That's a bit foggy,so to speak.

By "follower of Christ," do you mean following the Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh, in His earthly ministry, on earth, according to the law, which He followed, and told his followers/others, to follow?

Matthew-John, at least prior to the death, burial, resurrection, is not Christianity. It reveals the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, what He did, historically, in accordance with prophecy.

Or, by "follower of Christ," do you mean following the risen, ascended, glorified, seated "Lord from heaven"(1 Cor. 15:47 KJV), as revealed to the apostle Paul, "the apostle of the Gentiles"(Romans 11:13 KJV), by following Paul, which is "following Christ," in this dispensation?

Christianity begins with the apostle Paul.

Accept it.

I know, I know....Boo....Hiss........John W!!!! May the LORD God heap coals upon your head!!!

As it is written......

2 Corinthians 5:16 KJV

Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

The above: POTD-"Post Of The Day."

You are all welcome.

john w

Hall of Fame
Given GMs comment below I am pretty sure he ISN'T a Christian either....just another of many trolls on TOL, which is why he is on my ignore list.

"haven't heard your "Testimony" on how you were given God's Grace?
So, you may not be a "True Believer" yourself? I know you're a loud
mouth Knucklehead, but, that's about it."

Translated: Christianity is what you do, not who you are.

Another wolf is marked/exposed/identified, or confirmed.

glorydaz

By "follower of Christ," do you mean following the Lord Jesus Christ according to the flesh, in His earthly ministry, on earth, according to the law, which He followed, and told his followers/others, to follow?

Matthew-John, at least prior to the death, burial, resurrection, is not Christianity. It reveals the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, what He did, historically, in accordance with prophecy.

Or, by "follower of Christ," do you mean following the risen, ascended, glorified, seated "Lord from heaven"(1 Cor. 15:47 KJV), as revealed to the apostle Paul, "the apostle of the Gentiles"(Romans 11:13 KJV), by following Paul, which is "following Christ," in this dispensation?

Accept it.

I know, I know....Boo....Hiss........John W!!!! May the LORD God heap coals upon your head!!!

As it is written......

Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

You are all welcome.

:first:

turbosixx

I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. If Christianity started with Paul, what were these people if not Christians?

Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

6days

Yes, perhaps that is a bit foggy defining what a Christian is. However, the term 'follower of Jesus' may be more meaningful than telling others we are a Christian.

Wajdi Iskander, former member of the Muslim brotherhood suggests Christians avoid identifying themselves as 'Christian'. and instead tell others that you are a follower of Jesus. Muslims associate the word 'Christian' with cultural 'christianity', (North American life style) which is offensive to them.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Accept it.

As it is written......

You are all welcome.

big difference between followers and thanks

i agree. great post - great illustration

POTD -

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm trying to understand what you mean by this. If Christianity started with Paul, what were these people if not Christians?

Acts 2:41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls.

cuz that's just how it is - it's true what saint john w the great said -

Acts 11:19-26 KJV - Acts 11:21-22 KJV - Acts 11:23-24 KJV -

Acts 11:25 KJV -
Acts 11:26 KJV

Colossians 1:25 KJV -

Last edited:

turbosixx

cuz that's just how it is - it's true what saint john w the great said -

Acts 11:19-26 KJV - Acts 11:21-22 KJV - Acts 11:23-24 KJV -

Acts 11:25 KJV -
Acts 11:26 KJV

Colossians 1:25 KJV -

You didn't answer the question. If those who believed Peter's message were not added to the body of Christ, then what were they added to?

oatmeal

We can't earn it, but we can choose not to keep it.

Heb. 3:12 Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end,

Where in that verse does it talk about losing the gift of salvation/eternal life/pneuma hagion/Christ in you?

No where.

We cannot lose the gift, but we can ignore, despise, turn away from the benefits that come from using that gift.

Even if we do, the gift remains for it is seed, incorruptible seed. I Peter 1:23

turbosixx

Where in that verse does it talk about losing the gift of salvation/eternal life/pneuma hagion/Christ in you?

No where.

We cannot lose the gift, but we can ignore, despise, turn away from the benefits that come from using that gift.

Even if we do, the gift remains for it is seed, incorruptible seed. I Peter 1:23

It's an if/then statement.

Heb. 3:14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end,

Heb. 4:11 Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.

Why do you think he is using the example of those who didn't make it as a warning.

Bradley D

Nothing can include what does not exist. Satan is not literal to exist. Satan is just a concept to illustrate the evil inclination in man. Where it says about the Absolute Oneness of God, it includes also not to believe that Satan exists. True that God is not responsible for the existence of evil but because man is, not Satan. (Eccles. 7:29)

You are ignoring scripture!

"The LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD, who has chosen Jerusalem, rebuke you!...(Zech. 3:2)"

daqq

What, do you think, makes someone a Christian?

The modern term "Christian" no longer carries the same meaning as Christianos which is found in the Apostolic writings. Even according to the very words of Paul himself the Christos, Messiah, must be formed in a disciple of Yeshua and this can only be done by consuming his parables, allegories, idioms, sayings, doctrines, and words. Likewise according to Paul the Torah is our "paidagogos" crossing guard, or "schoolmaster", to bring us to Messiah. Yeshua also clearly quotes from Exodus 23:20a in several places in the Gospel accounts, Matthew 11:10 and Luke 7:27, and states that the Malak-Messenger of that passage is none other than Yochanan the Immerser. If therefore Yochanan the Immerser is the Malak of Exodus 23:20-23 then he is the Messenger who leads us in the way of righteousness through "the desert" and into "the Land". The immersion of Yochanan is therefore an immersion into Torah and Prophets, (the Name of the Father and likewise "the washing of water in the Word", Ephesians 5:26). Therefore one must first have the immersion of Yochanan, (which even Cornelius and his household knew and understood) which includes immersion into Torah, Prophets, and Writings, (i.e. Psalms) which are the Name of the Father, and thereby repentance toward the sending away of sins, (which again is the immersion of Yochanan). And with at least a basic knowledge of those things in our hearts, minds, and souls, (Deuteronomy 11:18-21) one must then devote at least a full year of intense immersion into the Testimony of Yeshua found in the Gospel accounts as the Antiochians first did, under Paul and Barnabas, who were then first called Christianos by divine revelation as clearly stated in Acts 11:26. Such a one is a true Christianos according to what is actually written and only then should one expect the Christos to begin to be formed in himself or herself.

Matthew 3:11 ASV
11. I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire:

John 3:5 ASV
5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water [the immersion of Yochanan] and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God!

Matthew 21:32 ASV
31. Which of the two did the will of his father? They say, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, that the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
32. For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not; but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye saw it, did not even repent yourselves afterward, that ye might believe him.

I have not found any translation renderings of the following passage which I can fully agree with but the Young's Literal Bible Translation is the closest:

Acts 1:5 YLT
5. because John, indeed, baptized with water, and ye shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit - after not many days.'

Acts 1:5 Transliterated Unaccented
5. hoti Ioannes men ebaptisen hudati, humeis de en Pneumati baptisthesesthe Hagio ou meta pollas tautas hemeras."

"Because indeed Yochanan did immerse [you] in water, you moreover in Spirit shall be immersed Holy not many days hence."

This cryptic statement implies that the immersion of Yochanan was necessary first and foremost, which is the water immersion IN THE WORD, and an immersion of repentance toward the sending away of sins. If we check the record concerning the first critical immersion of a Gentile, that being Cornelius who had joined himself and his house to the Jewish nation, we likewise see the same prerequisite having been met:

Acts 10:37
That word, I say, you know, which was published throughout all Yhudah, and began from the Galilees with the immersion which Yochanan preached:

This is stated to Cornelius and his household, in his house, and confirmed again with a reference back to Acts 1:5 when Peter rehearses what had happened in the next chapter:

Acts 11:15-16
15. And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as on us at the beginning.
16. Then remembered I the word of the Master, how that he said,
Yochanan indeed immersed [you] in water; you moreover shall be immersed in Spirit Holy.

Modern westernized Christianity has unfortunately become guilty of promoting nothing more than a "drive-up window", quick and easy pleasy, insurance policy type of instantaneous "salvation" which is deceiving and stealing souls of people. :)

eddie17

To wollow in riches and think of yourself and no one else,and forget about all the poor and drug addicts,and just concentrate on yourself to make sure you get to heaven.

Sorry but see alot of christians doing this.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The modern term "Christian" no longer carries the same meaning as Christianos which is found in the Apostolic writings. Even according to the very words of Paul himself the Christos, Messiah, must be formed in a disciple of Yeshua and this can only be done by consuming his parables, allegories, idioms, sayings, doctrines, and words. Likewise according to Paul the Torah is our "paidagogos" crossing guard, or "schoolmaster", to bring us to Messiah. Yeshua also clearly quotes from Exodus 23:20a in several places in the Gospel accounts, Matthew 11:10 and Luke 7:27, and states that the Malak-Messenger of that passage is none other than Yochanan the Immerser. If therefore Yochanan the Immerser is the Malak of Exodus 23:20-23 then he is the Messenger who leads us in the way of righteousness through "the desert" and into "the Land". The immersion of Yochanan is therefore an immersion into Torah and Prophets, (the Name of the Father and likewise "the washing of water in the Word", Ephesians 5:26). Therefore one must first have the immersion of Yochanan, (which even Cornelius and his household knew and understood) which includes immersion into Torah, Prophets, and Writings, (i.e. Psalms) which are the Name of the Father, and thereby repentance toward the sending away of sins, (which again is the immersion of Yochanan). And with at least a basic knowledge of those things in our hearts, minds, and souls, (Deuteronomy 11:18-21) one must then devote at least a full year of intense immersion into the Testimony of Yeshua found in the Gospel accounts as the Antiochians first did, under Paul and Barnabas, who were then first called Christianos by divine revelation as clearly stated in Acts 11:26. Such a one is a true Christianos according to what is actually written and only then should one expect the Christos to begin to be formed in himself or herself.

"Others" usually won't answer this question, for obvious reasons, but,
what church or denomination are you affiliated with?" A True Believer
would happily answer. Usually, "Others" will not. That's one way of
separating the sheep from the wolves. Personally, I think you're a
wolf.

Cross Reference

Muslims, Jews, Mormons, the Mahatma, mother Theresa, Buddhists, the pope.........................................................................................................can assert that.

And?

Next. Sit.

I believe you know what God I am referring to.

Cross Reference

In His flesh, Jesus kept that part of the Law that related to His being in union with His Father.
He did not keep any other part of the law that it could be said He kept it all that it might later be written He did so to please the Jews. Only for righteousness sake, that was equal to Himself, that kept Him from 'compromise', did He keep any part and only that part which pointed up God in Him. What He did do was to teach others to follow His Him and by His example would they could into union with the Father.