Do social perceptions exacerbate rape trauma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxfire

Do the expectations placed on rape victims by society tend to have an additional and cumulative negative impact on the psyche of the victim?

.....aaaaaaand GO!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do the expectations placed on rape victims by society tend to have an additional and cumulative negative impact on the psyche of the victim?

.....aaaaaaand GO!

Of course. It has to do with the gender of most of the victims and the gender of most rapists. Things really haven't changed much since the cavemen days.

There are no real rapists ... just boys being boys.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

.....aaaaaaand GO!

1. define "expectations"

2. acknowledge that rape can be male on female, male on male, female on male and female on female (leaving aside child abuse)

3. define "by society"

4. define "psyche"

and then take a crack at Scenario #6: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520791&postcount=40

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

.....aaaaaaand GO!
Probably one of the main reasons many rapes are not even reported.

Foxfire

1. define "expectations"

2. acknowledge that rape can be male on female, male on male, female on male and female on female (leaving aside child abuse)

3. define "by society"

4. define "psyche"
No, you don't define the parameters. There is ample information in the OP as it stands.

Tell us how your personal experiences with rape have affected you. Did social pressure worsen the aftermath in your experience?

ok doser

No, you don't define the parameters.

:doh:

i was asking you to define them

There is ample information in the OP as it stands.

then i'll answer it as it stands

my answer is no

Tell us how your personal experiences with rape have affected you.

i am careful to make choices that minimize my risk of being raped

your turn

Did social pressure worsen the aftermath in your experience?

nope

glorydaz

Of course. It has to do with the gender of most of the victims and the gender of most rapists. Things really haven't changed much since the cavemen days.

In the "cavemen days", raping old women, babies, children and boys, was never considered to be "boys being boys", and I don't think anyone here on TOL has claimed that concerning women, either. I know some of you think it's been claimed, but that's simply not the FACT.

This thread should be concentrating on the victim, and I think putting the RAPIST aside would make this whole thread more worthwhile. There is NO EXCUSE for rape....as has been stated over and over again by everyone.

Moving on to the victim....... is that possible?

ok doser

The perceived expectation that rape is unavoidably catastrophic to the mental and emotional stability of the victim.

considering it from a secular viewpoint, why should rape be different from any other form of assault?

for that matter, same question from a medical/psychological viewpoint?

glorydaz

The perceived expectation that rape is unavoidably catastrophic to the mental and emotional stability of the victim.

Ah, well that certainly plays into the victimhood mentality of our society today. Everyone is a victim of one thing or another.

And it's fed by well meaning friends and relatives which actually prolongs and hinders the ability of the victims to get on with their life.

Foxfire

SOD makes a valid point that rape is not limited to female victims.

Ever watched the Nick Nolte/Barbara Streisand movie Prince of Tides?

Fiction tho it is, it paints a reasonably accurate representation of the social implications and expectations imposed on rape victims of both genders; even if it does tend a bit toward the extreme.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fiction tho it is, it paints a reasonably accurate representation of the social implications and expectations imposed on rape victims of both genders; even if it does tend a bit toward the extreme.

Of course males can be victims of rape. Just because it isn't as frequent, doesn't make the rape any less horrific ... nor do they deserve to be raped.

All rapists and child molesters should die via the DP right alongside murderers.

Regardless of the gender of the victim, victims fear reporting the crime, and for good reason.

ok doser

Of course males can be victims of rape. Just because it isn't as frequent, doesn't make the rape any less horrific ...

is rape always "horrific"?

was this "horrific"?

Herewith, a Philadelphia magazine report about Swarthmore College, where in 2013 a student “was in her room with a guy with whom she’d been hooking up for three months”:

“They’d now decided — mutually, she thought — just to be friends. When he ended up falling asleep on her bed, she changed into pajamas and climbed in next to him. Soon, he was putting his arm around her and taking off her clothes. ‘I basically said, “No, I don’t want to have sex with you.” And then he said, “OK, that’s fine” and stopped. . . . And then he started again a few minutes later, taking off my panties, taking off his boxers. I just kind of laid there and didn’t do anything — I had already said no. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. I let him finish. I pulled my panties back on and went to sleep.’”

Six weeks later, the woman reported that she had been raped.

Foxfire

Of course males can be victims of rape. Just because it isn't as frequent, doesn't make the rape any less horrific ... nor do they deserve to be raped.

All rapists and child molesters should die via the DP right alongside murderers.

Regardless of the gender of the victim, victims fear reporting the crime, and for good reason.

Consider the aftermath.

If a women is raped, there is a host of social support mechanisms that serve to mitigate the impact. With more success in some cases than in others.

If a man is raped, it is potentially such a heinous assault on the male ego that he dare not even acknowledge that the event even happened for fear of incurring the additional association of somehow being less than a man.

Is a man expected to internalize that and just let it roll off his back?

* pleas bear in mind that the focus of this thread is on the victims, not the perpetrators

Status
Not open for further replies.