Do social perceptions exacerbate rape trauma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Do the expectations placed on rape victims by society tend to have an additional and cumulative negative impact on the psyche of the victim?

.....aaaaaaand GO!

Exactly what expectations do you claim are placed on victims of rape by society ? Proving they were raped ? Be more clear with your words.

glorydaz

Consider the aftermath.

If a women is raped, there is a host of social support mechanisms that serve to mitigate the impact. With more success in some cases than in others.

Since there is no real War on Women, women have many options available to get past the crime committed against them. Many opt to deal with it themselves like they do any other traumatic event in their lives.

If a man is raped, it is potentially such a heinous assault on the male ego that he dare not even acknowledge that the event even happened for fear of incurring the additional association of somehow being less than a man.

Is a man expected to internalize that and just let it roll off his back?

* pleas bear in mind that the focus of this thread is on the victims, not the perpetrators

I would imagine most sexual assaults against men are done in the prison system, and keeping it under wraps would probably be the smartest thing they can do.

It's the children that bear the greatest burden. They usually do not tell and it can continue for years. This taking place during their formative years most certainly will have a greater and life long impact. Yet, even they can get past the trauma and go on to live useful lives. The healing process depends a lot on the maturity level and the faith of the victim.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
i already tried that

i don't think he knows what he thinks he's talking about :idunno:

The OP isn't clear, every victim and incident is different; different circumstances and levels of damage, psychologically, emotionally, physically etc. - different. What expectations and what part of society ?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I would imagine most sexual assaults against men are done in the prison system,

the most reliable data I've seen is from the military

Spoiler
nsvrc_infographic_sexual-violence-in-the-military_lg.jpg

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Consider the aftermath.

If a women is raped, there is a host of social support mechanisms that serve to mitigate the impact. With more success in some cases than in others.

If a man is raped, it is potentially such a heinous assault on the male ego that he dare not even acknowledge that the event even happened for fear of incurring the additional association of somehow being less than a man.

Is a man expected to internalize that and just let it roll off his back?

* pleas bear in mind that the focus of this thread is on the victims, not the perpetrators

Gender of a rape victim should not determine how they are treated and judged. I think men are expected to internalize or otherwise be branded a "sissy" ... which of course is wrong.

Women, OTOH, fear being called names and accusations of "they had it coming".

Status
Not open for further replies.