Doctrine of Unconditional Election

beloved57

Its crystal clear that the scriptures teach election, even unconditional election in salvation. Most people will agree that election is taught in scripture, but very few agree that its unconditional, and totally by grace and Gods sovereign good pleasure, not outside of Himself. Even the OT scripture indicates Gods sovereign prerogative in election and having mercy on whomever He will Ex 33:19

And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. In this discriminatory fashion God exhibits His Glory

Now Paul alludes to this scripture in his treatise on unconditional election in Rom 9:11-16

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

We learn that there is what Paul terms "the purpose of God according to election" This is a salvaic purpose,. its answering the seeming dilema as to why so many jews in national israel are being lost Rom 9:1-6

I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,

2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.

3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;

5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.

6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Its from this background that Paul develops his treatise on the doctirne of unconditional election, or "the purpose of God according to election"

Now let us look at what Rom 9 tells us: By writer of godsonlygospel.com "election is just not fair.

Speaking of Jacob and Esau, the sons of Isaac and Rebecca, Paul the apostle states: "For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, THAT THE PURPOSE OF GOD ACCORDING TO ELECTION MIGHT STAND, not of works but of Him that calleth; It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated" (Rom. 9:11-13). What a passage to confound the free willer! No wonder the Arminian minister prefers to conveniently shy away from this chapter in Romans and hide these things from his listeners. These verses show clearly that God made choice between Jacob and Esau before they were even born! God made choice between them as to which He would love and which He would hate. This was done, the Scriptures say, so that the purpose of God according to election might stand, an election which obviously could not have been based on any deeds, actual or foreseen, good or bad, that man had done or would do. The saved are those who are elected by grace through faith, not by anything they have done, that none should boast. The good works they do were appointed, or prepared, for them to do and they were not elected because of any good works they were foreseen would do:
I do differ with the author regarding his statement "The saved are those who are elected by grace through faith, "

I believe the saved are those who are elected by Grace, minus the faith, but Faith being the consequent of election by grace.

However the main point is, the elect are not elected based upon any foreseen actions or deeds , good or bad, that man has done or will do, because the election of grace was made before they were born to do any actions whatsoever, thats the Apostles point.

This treatise by Paul should forever eliminate the false idea that election is based upon anything foreseen in or of the sinner. Its totally unconditional ! Its totally of Sovereign prerogative !

Last edited:

Nanja

Its crystal clear that the scriptures teach election, even unconditional election in salvation. Most people will agree that election is taught in scripture, but very few agree that its unconditional, and totally by grace and Gods sovereign good pleasure, not outside of Himself. Even the OT scripture indicates Gods sovereign prerogative in election and having mercy on whomever He will Ex 33:19

And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. In this discriminatory fashion God exhibits His Glory

Now Paul alludes to this scripture in his treatise on unconditional election in Rom 9:11-16

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

We learn that there is what Paul terms "the purpose of God according to election" This is a salvaic purpose,. its answering the seeming dilema as to why so many jews in national israel are being lost Rom 9:1-6

Its from this background that Paul develops his treatise on the doctirne of unconditional election, or "the purpose of God according to election"

Now let us look at what Rom 9 tells us: By writer of godsonlygospel.com "election is just not fair.

I do differ with the author regarding his statement "The saved are those who are elected by grace through faith, "

I believe the saved are those who are elected by Grace, minus the faith, but Faith being the consequent of election by grace.

However the main point is, the elect are not elected based upon any foreseen actions or deeds , good or bad, that man has done or will do, because the election of grace was made before they were born to do any actions whatsoever, thats the Apostles point.

This treatise by Paul should forever eliminate the false idea that election is based upon anything foreseen in or of the sinner. Its totally unconditional ! Its totally of Sovereign prerogative !

Excellent speech Brother !

Just as you have shown, and as can be clearly seen in scripture, Salvation by Grace has nothing to do with a person's choosing it by his freewill; or works of the flesh he / she may perform, but is solely based upon Sovereign God's Discriminate Good Pleasure; His Unconditional Election of certain Blessed individuals to be partakers of His Grace and Mercy through the Redemption that is in Christ Jesus Rom. 3:24; and not by any conditions they can meet, or any performance of works by them !

Last edited:

Bradley D

No I didn't. What does the op bring out?
What Jesus says is what matters. All epistles must conform with what Jesus says. Therefore, some scripture is not interpreted correctly.

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

everyone
πᾶς (pas)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

beloved57

What Jesus says is what matters. All epistles must conform with what Jesus says. Therefore, some scripture is not interpreted correctly.

'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

everyone
πᾶς (pas)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's Greek 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.
You don't want to discuss the points of the Op . I get it

Nanja

Unconditional Election is by God's Sovereign Grace and Mercy alone.

The will of man does not dictate whom God will have mercy upon,
but is exclusively according to God's Purpose in Election!

Rom. 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

Not even can a person come to God by their own false freewill, but only by being Elected in Christ,
for it's BY CHRIST exclusively that any can come to God.

1 Pet. 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Hence, Christ alone is credited for any that come to Him because He is their Head, and they were Chosen In Him to be Saved to the uttermost Heb. 7:25.

beloved57

Mans portion is determined by the will of God, thus Paul says, " The purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of Him that calleth," ( Romans 9:11 ). Election is not based on any thing foreseen in the creature, but of the will of the God exclusively, and for His pleasure. Rev 4:11

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Unconditional Election of some was for His Pleasure !

beloved57

Gods Glory is manifested in Unconditional Sovereign Election and Reprobation. Election is a Matter of absolute Mercy Rom 9:11-15

God is not obligated to have mercy on any one of us, He would have been just to punish eternally everyone for their sins against Him.

However He purposed for His own Glory to have Mercy on only some, a remnant of mankind. Moses had asked God to show him His Glory, and the Lord answred Ex 33:18,19

18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.

19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

See that, God in responding to Moses said He will proclaim HIS NAME ! And in that proclamation we have the sacred words " and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy."

The Glory of the Lord is bound up in His Sovereign Prerogative to be merciful and gracious to whomever He pleases understanding that He can withhold the same to whomever He pleases.

Ps 115:3

3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

beloved57

Gods Glory in Election and Reprobation is that He has the right to do with His creatures, men, angels, devils etc whatever He pleases, we are as clay in a potters hand Jer 18:6

6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

Isa 64:8

8 But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Rom 9:20-21

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

And since Election denotes Gods Love for a people according to Deut 7:7

7 The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

Eph 1:4

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

He therefore has the right to love and choose some, and hate the rest Rom 9:13-16

Nanja

Gods Glory in Election and Reprobation is that He has the right to do with His creatures, men, angels, devils etc whatever He pleases, we are as clay in a potters hand Jer 18:6

6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

Isa 64:8

8 But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Rom 9:20-21

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

And since Election denotes Gods Love for a people according to Deut 7:7

7 The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

Eph 1:4

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

He therefore has the right to love and choose some, and hate the rest Rom 9:13-16

Indeed amen, Praising God !

beloved57

Election is unconditional because God has chosen His People by Grace before the foundation Eph 1:4, of course this means this means He could not have chosen them or their works. This also means it was not based upon any foreseen, works, decisions, or believing or anything they do or do not do. This is called Gods election of grace Rom 11:5-6

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Election is unconditional because God has chosen His People by Grace before the foundation

... completely arbitrarily.

That's what you believe. But it's not supported by scripture.

God says otherwise, that a man shall be saved if he confesses with his mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and believes in his heart that God has raised him from the dead (Romans 10:9).

God says he is willing, but men are not, and He cannot save those who are unwilling to be saved.

Eph 1:4, of course this means this means He could not have chosen them or their works.

Faith is not meritorious.

This also means it was not based upon any foreseen, works, decisions, or believing or anything they do or do not do.

In other words, you believe that it was a completely arbitrary decision on God's part.

This is called Gods election of grace

No, it's called Calvinism.

Rom 11:5-6

5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

The remnant is the group of Jews who believed prior to God cutting off unbelieving Israel.

It's not the Body of Christ.

6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Faith is not a work.

beloved57

Now in considering the bible teaching on unconditional election, we must consider its logical counterpart the doctrine of unconditional reprobation. Thats not to say the reprobate wont be punished justly for their sins in reprobation, however God sovereignly chose to exercise justice on them for their sins, as opposed to having sovereignly chose to exercise mercy towards the elect for their sins.

Now here are some biblical concepts for unconditional reprobation:

. First, God hath refused or rejected some particular persons, on whom he purposed never to have mercy; this is most evident from the Scriptures following. “But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.” John 10:26 “But the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.” Rom11:7. “Therefore hath he mercy, on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.” Rom 9:18

These are people whom God has purposed not to heal/save Jn 12:39-40

39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,

40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Nanja

Now in considering the bible teaching on unconditional election, we must consider its logical counterpart the doctrine of unconditional reprobation. Thats not to say the reprobate wont be punished justly for their sins in reprobation, however God sovereignly chose to exercise justice on them for their sins, as opposed to having sovereignly chose to exercise mercy towards the elect for their sins.

Now here are some biblical concepts for unconditional reprobation:

. First, God hath refused or rejected some particular persons, on whom he purposed never to have mercy; this is most evident from the Scriptures following. “But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.” John 10:26 “But the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.” Rom11:7. “Therefore hath he mercy, on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.” Rom 9:18

These are people whom God has purposed not to heal/save Jn 12:39-40

39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,

40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Amen Brother, whether or not a person believes on Christ has nothing to do with them exercising their own freewill, which is idolatry and cannot please God anyway Rom. 8:8. However, for those the Father gave His Son in behalf of to deliver them from the power of darkness and to have forgiveness of sins Col. 1:13-14, His Election of Grace / Christ's Sheep; as a result of that fact alone [Christ's Death] 1 Pet. 2:24, they can no longer
remain under the power of unbelief Acts 18:27b, as those who shall remain in unbelief and be condemned for all eternity John 3:18, 36.

beloved57

Amen Brother, whether or not a person believes on Christ has nothing to do with them exercising their own freewill, which is idolatry and cannot please God anyway Rom. 8:8. However, for those the Father gave His Son in behalf of to deliver them from the power of darkness and to have forgiveness of sins Col. 1:13-14, His Election of Grace / Christ's Sheep; as a result of that fact alone [Christ's Death] 1 Pet. 2:24, they can no longer
remain under the power of unbelief Acts 18:27b, as those who shall remain in unbelief and be condemned for all eternity John 3:18, 36.
Amen Sister !

marke

God is a God of mercy and compassion and He will have mercy on all who come to Him in repentance to seek His forgiveness for their sins. Before they can be forgiven and born again, however, they must come to God seeking His forgiveness and mercy.

John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Psalm 86:5
For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.

beloved57

If Election/Salvation was in any degree conditioned or contingent on what a person does, even thinks, then they could not be by Grace. Election is of Grace minus works Rom 9:11;11:5-6 and Salvation is the same Eph 2:8-9; 2 Tim 1:9

Last edited: