"Don't talk to the police without a lawyer first."

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Law Dictionary: How Do I Get A Copy Of A Police Report?

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-police-report/

I'll go with the narrative of the person who wrote the report and has taken an oath to uphold the law.
I should have been more honest. It is only my own laziness that stands in the way.

I have been patient before in providing proof for my comments--usually using the words of Jesus to do so. But the proof I dredge up fails to even register with most readers.

I often get tired of doing people's research for them. None of us should take anyone's word for any claims made on TOL. So I can't really blame your for insisting I go further than my daughter's knowledge in the incident.

I just refuse to do it. Let's just agree you are right and I am mistaken in my comments.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The answer regarding when or if to talk to police is a simple one to answer. If you're only being called as a witness then by all means proceed with a statement relative to what you might have witnessed.

There are variables in that statement i.e. called as a witness against whom? If you're making a statement against your spouse you can claim spousal privilege.

If they want to question you about something and it doesn't fall under the first heading then be polite and decline answering until you've obtained representation. Why? Because your attorney will protect your rights, inquire and in short order ascertain their degree of interest and your potential vulnerability and because if you're a suspect you aren't going to convince police of your innocence by cooperating.

If I were a suspect in a burglary and I could show evidence that I was 100 miles away from the scene of the crime and had dozens of witnesses to corroborate that, why pay a lawyer hundreds if not thousands of dollars when the matter could easily be handled by cooperating with the police?

So there's little upside to cooperating. The downside? You're going to be nervous. Even if you're innocent. It's human nature.

It's human nature for the guilty to be nervous, the innocent know that the police are their friend and wouldn't be nervous if they were telling the truth.

...I know any number of police officers. One of my favorite human beings just retired from the pd in California after a full career as a military MP and he'd tell you to keep your mouth shut too. :)

Why don't you have your favorite human being join TOL and he can speak for himself?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I should have been more honest.

Why start now?

It is only my own laziness that stands in the way.

It's your bias towards everything good an decent that got in the way.

I have been patient before in providing proof for my comments--usually using the words of Jesus to do so. But the proof I dredge up fails to even register with most readers.

When did you ever provide any proof in any of your posts?

I often get tired of doing people's research for them. None of us should take anyone's word for any claims made on TOL. So I can't really blame your for insisting I go further than my daughter's knowledge in the incident.

I called your con and you folded your hand.

I just refuse to do it. Let's just agree you are right and I am mistaken in my comments.

Until next time, as you never own up to your mistakes.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Why start now?

It's your bias towards everything good an decent that got in the way.

When did you ever provide any proof in any of your posts?

I called your con and you folded your hand.

Until next time, as you never own up to your mistakes.
Like I said, I am always willing to be accountable for making mistakes, putting my foot in my mouth and wandering off the path of my own Christian ethics.I cannot go around living honestly without being rigorously focused on my own shortcomings.

MarcATL

My daughter's best friend was jailed and missed her finals. And so she flunked out.

She did nothing wrong--whatsoever.

She and her boyfriend--both Mexicans--were pulled over and as they roughed up the woman a bit, her boyfriend yelled at them to stop. They pushed both of them against the car and then arrested them for "resisting arrest."

One more story in racist America.
This crap happens all the time all across America. Different strokes for different folks.
People who don't think they need a lawyer were brought up by parents who were judicious and wise. They taught their child problem-solving techniques so s/he could handle his problems like an adult.

Or, they were raised in an obedience-based patriarchal authoritarian house and learn not to challenge any authority in any way.

The cops are the designated "authority," so these kind of people feel they can deal with the police with fairness and respect and the cops will do the same--like the parents they had.

Some sort of mediator/counselor who stands up for human rights is the best choice.

MarcATL

The answer regarding when or if to talk to police is a simple one to answer. If you're only being called as a witness then by all means proceed with a statement relative to what you might have witnessed.

If they want to question you about something and it doesn't fall under the first heading then be polite and decline answering until you've obtained representation. Why? Because your attorney will protect your rights, inquire and in short order ascertain their degree of interest and your potential vulnerability and because if you're a suspect you aren't going to convince police of your innocence by cooperating.

So there's little upside to cooperating. The downside? You're going to be nervous. Even if you're innocent. It's human nature. You can be riding down the road at the speed limit and a patrol car hits the lights, what's your reaction? Until he passes you the same one you'd have if you'd been speeding. Those nerves can lead you to say stupid things, to mistakes in recollection or tiny lies to bolster the innocence you know is yours and all of that, all of it can be used against you later to impeach your credibility. It could be the difference in a perception of guilt or acquittal if things go really wrong.

I know any number of police officers. One of my favorite human beings just retired from the pd in California after a full career as a military MP and he'd tell you to keep your mouth shut too. :)
Post of the thread.

MarcATL

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-police-report/

I'll go with the narrative of the person who wrote the report and has taken an oath to uphold the law.
As we have clearly seen in many viral stories in the last few years, police often lie even when there is video evidence these people ask and expect the public to not believe their lying eyes and believe their written report instead.

So no, these people are not to be trusted on principle.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There are variables in that statement i.e. called as a witness against whom? If you're making a statement against your spouse you can claim spousal privilege.
I'm speaking specifically to whether or you the person called requires representation. Nearly anything can be qualified but in general giving statements to the police about something you're involved in only as a witness and without charges is fairly routine.

If I were a suspect in a burglary and I could show evidence that I was 100 miles away from the scene of the crime and had dozens of witnesses to corroborate that, why pay a lawyer hundreds if not thousands of dollars when the matter could easily be handled by cooperating with the police?
Again, a person can qualify a thing, set up just about any sort of hypothetical that would tilt a board, but in general, supra and prior.

Also, if you have an alibi that will check out, terrific, but mostly your scenario isn't how it turns out. Often charges and investigations take some time and it's perfectly normal to be fuzzy on what you were doing and where you were, to say nothing of lacking corroborating data at the time you're being asked. Better to speak through counsel after the two of you have gone over the specifics and you're certain of your answers.

No matter how innocent you are, the police don't know that and if they're looking into you they believe they have reason. Anything you give them to fan that fire isn't helping you, even if they tell you they're just looking for the truth and would love to write you off as a suspect.

Police can and often will lie to you in order to get you to say something incriminating.

It's human nature for the guilty to be nervous, the innocent know that the police are their friend and wouldn't be nervous if they were telling the truth.
See, if I ever believed you were a law enforcement officer that alone would have completely turned me around. You literally don't appear to have any experience on the point with that comment. Not even remotely true.

Another myth is the belief that only guilty people appear nervous. This idea assumes that a person who has nothing to hide has no reason to be nervous or to demonstrate fidgeting and anxiety often associated with deceit. Questioning by law enforcement can be stressful for anyone, especially someone with little understanding of the criminal justice system. That anxiety can be heightened by accusatory questions or an aggressive interviewing style. Not surprisingly, innocent individuals often demonstrate many of the stereotypical behaviors associated with deception, including speech errors, fidgeting, and gaze aversion. The Truth About Lying: What Investigators Need to Know, by Brian D. Fitch, Ph.D., fbi.gov​

Why don't you have your favorite human being join TOL and he can speak for himself?
If you knew Tony you'd already be laughing.

I'll be sure and get a response from him on your nervous friend bit. He's got to find that a funny one.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I used to think ACW may have had some experience as a CO or bailiff, at best, but I don't think that theory even flies anymore. This guy's a joke.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I used to think ACW may have had some experience as a CO or bailiff, at best, but I don't think that theory even flies anymore. This guy's a joke.
I mostly didn't know what to think. I mean, people can have filing jobs or, well, you never really know. I didn't buy him as a beat cop, but after that comment...he should have spoken with a lawyer before he hit submit.

:think: Maybe he's nervous.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
This crap happens all the time all across America. Different strokes for different folks.

I know it.
You know it.
We all know it.

What it tells us about America is painful. And there are naturally always going to be those who will feel it necessary to deny such uncomfortable truths at all costs.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/...police-report/

As we have clearly seen in many viral stories in the last few years, police often lie even when there is video evidence these people ask and expect the public to not believe their lying eyes and believe their written report instead.

So no, these people are not to be trusted on principle.

"We've clearly seen" many many cases where the edited footage (by the Obama cop-hating media) didn't tell the truth.

Tell us a little about your background and your experiences with law enforcement officers Marc.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Yet you're so intimidated by me that you have me blocked. Debate me Granite, what have you got to lose besides that overinflated ego of yours?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

I'm speaking specifically to whether or you the person called requires representation. Nearly anything can be qualified but in general giving statements to the police about something you're involved in only as a witness and without charges is fairly routine.

You might tell those whom you're giving free legal advice to that if they lie to the big bad po-leece officer, that they could be charged with obstructing justice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

Again, a person can qualify a thing, set up just about any sort of hypothetical that would tilt a board, but in general, supra and prior...

So you agree that it's not set in stone when it comes to "not talking to a police officer without a lawyer first"?

See, if I ever believed you were a law enforcement officer that alone would have completely turned me around. You literally don't appear to have any experience on the point with that comment. Not even remotely true.

Another myth is the belief that only guilty people appear nervous.

Of course your opinion is coming from an unemployed lawyer perspective. Based on my experience, people who are not guilty of doing anything wrong have nothing to fear.

If you knew Tony you'd already be laughing.

I would imagine that Tony and his cop buddies would get a kick out of a lawyer referring to him as a "human being".

Arthur Brain

You really have dropped the ball on that one. Only a complete ignoramus would have even tried to get this to fly. If you think anxiety, stress and concern are simply attached to guilt then you are just dumb beyond words. No bona fide cop would even make such an asinine statement.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You really have dropped the ball on that one. Only a complete ignoramus would have even tried to get this to fly. If you think anxiety, stress and concern are simply attached to guilt then you are just dumb beyond words. No bona fide cop would even make such an asinine statement.

When speaking with you I can feel the anxiety and stress pouring out of that moral relativist body of yours Art. Obviously you're guilty of something (and we both know what that something is).

;-)

Arthur Brain

Yet you're so intimidated by me that you have me blocked. Debate me Granite, what have you got to lose besides that overinflated ego of yours?

Why would you assume he has you blocked because he's intimidated by you? It would take some ego to jump to that conclusion, an overinflated one no less but recognizing irony has never been your strong suit has it?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why would you assume he has you blocked because he's intimidated by you? It would take some ego to jump to that conclusion, an overinflated one no less but recognizing irony has never been your strong suit has it?

Why don't you ask the former Christian turned Satanist turned atheist turned "other", why he has me block; I can't as he...

has me blocked.