"Don't talk to the police without a lawyer first."

Granite

Hall of Fame
My daughter's best friend was jailed and missed her finals. And so she flunked out.

She did nothing wrong--whatsoever.

She and her boyfriend--both Mexicans--were pulled over and as they roughed up the woman a bit, her boyfriend yelled at them to stop. They pushed both of them against the car and then arrested them for "resisting arrest."

One more story in racist America.

:sigh:

I hate this.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
With the proper psychological therapy many people do. Others unfortunately take their nightmare of a childhood with them into adulthood and find out ways to shape their twisted idea of moral doctrine around it.

;-)
Even if we are "normal" our childhood goes with us, dictating much of our thoughts, feelings and beliefs.

Good mental and emotional health results from acknowledging what happened, grieving the loss of the innocent child that was, and mentally "raising" that child to take its place as an adult in the world.

Children are born innocent and curious. They start out with qualities like fairness and respect. But they often grow up in authoritarian, obedience-based families that stress yelling and corporal punishment.

glorydaz

I don't get in much trouble.

LOL Personal experience in this area can be very hard to come by. I've been a witness...more than once, but no one has ever suspected me of being a perp. Well, except for all those people who claim those of us who believe in OSAS, and they think we do every horrible act under the sun. :chuckle:

Christian Liberty

Some sources through google say it causes 30% of fatal traffic accidents.

First of all, its ridiculously hard to know that since most people speed. But even if it is, just because something is potentially dangerous doesn't really give government jurisdiction over it.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since "speeding" is not an inherently evil activity government (Romans 13:3-4) has no jurisdiction over it. As such it is completely appropriate to refuse to ASSIST them in robbing you for doing it.

(Jr. is still on his theonomy/theorcracy cult, he's sticking with this one almost as long as his Libertarian cult).

While the Bible probably doesn't give a punishment for driving down the highway at 110 MPH while high on cocaine, I'm sure there is somewhere in Scripture where it says something about reckless endangerment.

Christian Liberty

(Jr. is still on his theonomy/theorcracy cult, he's sticking with this one almost as long as his Libertarian cult).

While the Bible probably doesn't give a punishment for driving down the highway at 110 MPH while high on cocaine, I'm sure there is somewhere in Scripture where it says something about reckless endangerment.

Yeah, it does. Goring ox principle. But most "speeding" cases are not reckless.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Hence the difference between your version of Christianity and mine. When I know that I've done something wrong I own up to it. You on the other hand lawyer up.

Tell me Cedarbay, will you have a lawyer with you when you meet God on your judgment day? (I won't go into what He'd say if you pleaded the 5th).

Why admit guilt? Most times a ticket will come regardless.

Admitting that you've done wrong is the first path to redeeming oneself from past unrighteous behavior.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
"I did nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide, therefore I would be happy to assist you in your investigation Detective."

Said the Ramsey's in Boulder after a child molester murdered their daughter and the cops decided to play class warfare and blame the parents.

I haven't followed the Ramsey case recently. Was an arrest made and someone was convicted of the murder or does OJ Simpson have to take on the case so that along with finding the real murderers of his wife and her male friend he can find the real murderer of the little Ramsey girl?

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall, immediately after the police responded to the Ramsey house on that dreadful morning, the Ramsey family lawyered up.

Granted, based on their demeanor and the evidence at hand, they appeared to be hiding something, so I guess it was wise that they "lawyered up" ey Nick?

Edit: Bob Enyart article: The Clue that Breaks the Ramsey Case
http://kgov.com/jonbenet-ramsey-murder-clue-that-breaks-the-case

Last edited:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
My daughter's best friend was jailed and missed her finals. And so she flunked out.

She did nothing wrong--whatsoever.

She and her boyfriend--both Mexicans--were pulled over and as they roughed up the woman a bit, her boyfriend yelled at them to stop. They pushed both of them against the car and then arrested them for "resisting arrest."

One more story in racist America.

I hate to be the sole sourpuss in yet another TOL cop bashing thread, but could you get a hold of the police report, scratch out the names and addresses of the people involved and put it on a pdf format for all of us to see?

Not that I'm interested in hearing what the police had to say about the matter, but...

Christian Liberty

Quote:

Hence the difference between your version of Christianity and mine. When I know that I've done something wrong I own up to it. You on the other hand lawyer up.

Tell me Cedarbay, will you have a lawyer with you when you meet God on your judgment day? (I won't go into what He'd say if you pleaded the 5th).

Admitting that you've done wrong is the first path to redeeming oneself from past unrighteous behavior.

Sure, if what you did was actually a sin that the civil magistrate has a right to punish. Driving over the speed limit but within the flow of traffic is not.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

glorydaz

I hate to be the sole sourpuss in yet another TOL cop bashing thread, but could you get a hold of the police report, scratch out the names and addresses of the people involved and put it on a pdf format for all of us to see?

Not that I'm interested in hearing what the police had to say about the matter, but...

Yeah, "She did nothing wrong, whatsoever" sounds like a great line to tell one's parents. Not new, but clearly it still works. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The answer regarding when or if to talk to police is a simple one to answer. If you're only being called as a witness then by all means proceed with a statement relative to what you might have witnessed.

If they want to question you about something and it doesn't fall under the first heading then be polite and decline answering until you've obtained representation. Why? Because your attorney will protect your rights, inquire and in short order ascertain their degree of interest and your potential vulnerability and because if you're a suspect you aren't going to convince police of your innocence by cooperating.

So there's little upside to cooperating. The downside? You're going to be nervous. Even if you're innocent. It's human nature. You can be riding down the road at the speed limit and a patrol car hits the lights, what's your reaction? Until he passes you the same one you'd have if you'd been speeding. Those nerves can lead you to say stupid things, to mistakes in recollection or tiny lies to bolster the innocence you know is yours and all of that, all of it can be used against you later to impeach your credibility. It could be the difference in a perception of guilt or acquittal if things go really wrong.

I know any number of police officers. One of my favorite human beings just retired from the pd in California after a full career as a military MP and he'd tell you to keep your mouth shut too. :)

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

I wouldn't know where to start. But I am pretty confident there are two different narratives going on here.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, "She did nothing wrong, whatsoever" sounds like a great line to tell one's parents. Not new, but clearly it still works. :chuckle:
Sometimes we can only give our honest opinion after seeing evidence and hearing testimony--plus, in this case, a friend's information.

My daughter attended an education conference and one of the guest speakers was a black man who had his son with him. Police arrested him and put him in jail because they were intent on finding a suspect that had committed a crime in the same city.

My daughter is an honest person and I don't doubt her story in the least.