Duder's POTD 1/17/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duder

Over 750 post club
Originally posted by PureX:

You understand what I "say", but you can't understand what it means to me. And I will never understand what it means to you, either. This is why you disagree with me. You read my words, you decide upon what definitions I intended for each of them by their context in the group, but when you contemplate the idea you think I present, it does not mean the same to you as it does to me - you do not understand it as I do, and so you reject it's validity.

This is how it always is. This is how reading works. And this was my point. You can't escape establishing the meaning and value of the ideas that you think the words are presenting you. And you can't ever really know the meaning and value that I was trying to give them. We understand some, and we call that communication. But it leaves a LOT out.

Like everything else about life as a human being, communication is relative phenomena. We can always grasp something that the other person is trying to express, but we never can grasp it fully. In fact, we can't really even do that with our OWN ideas. *smile*

Status
Not open for further replies.