Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morphy

Originally posted by Jukia

What am I missing here??

Nothing. You're perfectly right. Life on the Earth would be virtually impossible without them. But, on the other hand - it was evolution what rendered us totally dependent on bacteria...

brother Willi

Re: ref evolution

Re: ref evolution

Originally posted by niceval4u

When God created the earth He made it good, Genesis 1:1-2:3.
When Adam sinned he brought death and corruption upon the earth, this accounts for all the bacteria.
Val

:think:

:thumb:

brother Willi

Originally posted by Morphy

Do you have any picture (eg. photo) of God? No? So why do you think God exists?
because i know God is.
i serve God
You don't need to have pictures of everything. I don't have any picture of Thyranosaurus rex and I know it existed! About month ago I didn't have any picture of my babe and my wife and I were sure she was pregnant!
YEP, thats how it works.
it leaves everything up to you.

almost like it was planned.

My point is if you have some knowledge how processes take place in the world you may suspect what was before... For example if it is raining you know for sure that some water vaporized earlier and created clouds. When you see living organisms evolving at the very moment you may suspect the same happened before. Therefore it is enough to have just 1 pre-bacterial cell in proper enviroment in order to have billions of species billions of years later...
you can see that if you like, it makes for interesting talk.

think how boring things would be without free will.

brother Willi

brother Willi:
Still waiting for some response from you as to how old you think the earth is, how you arive at that conclusion and how old the Bible says it is. Thanks

i cant answer that other then i have.

brother Willi

Originally posted by Morphy

Even if life was created by god and even if the Earth is only 6000 years old or so the fact that evolution takes place is UNDENIABLE... If growing bacterial resistance to antibiotics is not an example of evolution then I don't know how you can explain this phenomenon.

is the bacterial still bacterial?
Evidence for the first step. Give me a few million years, a huge lab and I will show you the first step.

i dont know about that million years.

but hey, go for it.
careful it dont eat you:chuckle:

Jukia

Originally posted by brother Willi

i cant answer that other then i have.

Sorry, guess I missed your answer. Can you answer again or refer me to a specific prior response? Thanks

brother Willi

Sorry, guess I missed your answer. Can you answer again or refer me to a specific prior response? Thanks
life is as old as the Bible says it is.

do you know what the Bible says?

Jukia

Originally posted by brother Willi

life is as old as the Bible says it is.

do you know what the Bible says?

I think my earlier response was that I did not know what the Bible says so please enlighten me. If you do not know then tell me that as well, but based on your answer I must assume that you do. Thanks

aharvey

Sorry guys, I've been pretty sick lately. Here's a quick catchup.

Morphy,

First off, I am an evolutionary biologist by trade. I came across this forum several months ago while trying to understand the true nature of the problem that Creationists have with evolutionary theory. Please do not mistake my ability, such as it is, to describe these problems as meaning that I share them!

Jukia,

The ironic thing is that the Bible doesn't ever say how old the Earth is. This is inferred by YECs by adding up the ages of people (I think the age at which a named child was born, at least I hope so!) in the Biblical lineage. This of course assumes that everyone is mentioned in an unbroken lineage, but I've seen arguments by some YECs (have you ever heard of a guy named Barry Setterfield?) that this is probably an incorrect assumption.

Brother Willi,

You made this comment:

"the only real difference i see is, i would say "one common Creator"

This is a point I'd love to expand upon, though I don't think I'm up to it now. I want you to ponder this, though. The commonalities shared by all living things could imply a common Creator, of course, on the other hand, an all-powerful Creator wouldn't be so limited, so in fact if we found instead that organisms were fundamentally different from each other, you could claim that to imply the hand of an all-powerful Creator as well, right? Now, we do see a rich array of similarities and differences across all life; evolutionary theory can explain, can make sense of, a great deal of this pattern (and the rest is probably understudied at this point). And I mean this in a very specific way, no floppy generalities here. At the level, for example, of "Why do whales have hair? Why are bat's bones more similar to our bones than to pterosaur bones?" Do you think that a non-evolutionary Creationist perspective could make sense of these patterns? In a way that is more profound that "God must have thought that was the best way, and who are we to question His eternal wisdom?"

brother Willi

I think my earlier response was that I did not know what the Bible says so please enlighten me. If you do not know then tell me that as well, but based on your answer I must assume that you do. Thanks

:D

life aint that old

brother Willi

Originally posted by aharvey

Brother Willi,

At the level, for example, of "Why do whales have hair? Why are bat's bones more similar to our bones than to pterosaur bones?" Do you think that a non-evolutionary Creationist perspective could make sense of these patterns? In a way that is more profound that "God must have thought that was the best way, and who are we to question His eternal wisdom?"

life takes shape within itself.

it is the way it was meant to be.

the "kinds" is the real question, and to that i have no real answer, not enough is writen

niceval4u

Maybe bacteria was the wrong word to use. I meant that death and corruption was the result of man's sin.

The reason that we don't find dinosor bones is because they were killed of in the Noahic flood.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
aharvey wrote:
I came across this forum several months ago while trying to understand the true nature of the problem that Creationists have with evolutionary theory.
What did you come up with?

brother Willi

Maybe bacteria was the wrong word to use. I meant that death and corruption was the result of man's sin.

The reason that we don't find dinosor bones is because they were killed of in the Noahic flood.

what is the nytch bacteria fills?

brother Willi

I believe that the earth is no more than 6.000 years old.
what year is the Jewish calender in?

do we know how long the time in the Garden of Eden was?

are they combined?

aharvey

Since all life as we know it would be impossible without bacteria, I would agree that bacteria would be a poor example of the death and corruption brought on by man's sin. On the other hand, some bacteria do indeed cause death and maybe corruption (not a scientific term, so I'm not sure what you specifically mean by it). An evolutionary biologist can explain this; what's the YEC interpretation?

So what is the reason we do find dinosaur bones?

aharvey

Originally posted by Yorzhik

What did you come up with?

It's a work in progress. My first response to Morphy gives you some of what I've found. Reviewing the history of the dispute has been most enlightening. I think it's no accident that most of the current YEC arguments involve things like abiogenesis, information theory, the Big Bang, and the second law of thermodynamics. All of these are irrelevant or at best peripheral to evolutionary theory per se, and all are therefore likely to be outside the areas of expertise of practicing biologists.

Of course, there is also the irreducible complexity class of arguments, which includes the "wow! look how complex cells/genes are!" This entire class of arguments is based on some faulty premises, and, unexpectedly, a healthy dose of appeal to emotion.

In general I have not had good luck getting positive evidence for a young earth creationist view of the world, only arguments against evolution. I have also had little success getting YECs to even provide a logical YEC-based explanation for the few interesting situations I've presented. Brother Willi's post is typical: "it is the way it was meant to be." This may be true, but it's not very useful.

I have also learned that my colleagues are pretty uninformed about the YEC world, even those that work here in the Bible Belt. They tend to be harshly dismissive, but have often never tried to have a reasonable discussion with Creationists. Although I don't get the impression that I've reached many minds here, I do think my level of understanding is far greater than it was last summer.

By the way, it's worth repeating that when I talk about "reaching minds," I don't mean "convert to heathen evolutionism." I take my TOL signature very seriously. If I have a goal besides expanding my own knowledge base, it's that I want people to think more deeply about what they say, what they believe. My goal is not to convert anyone to an Old-earth, evolution-based worldview. My goal is to be able to intelligently discuss, compare, and contrast the assumptions, models, predictions, evidence, and implications of these different world views.

Stratnerd

To me the primary difference between creationists and scientists is epistemology. Creationists believe that revelation via diety to man is a superior episteme. That is, what is written in the people is absolute Truth. All you need to do is visit AIG or CRC and read their statement of faith to see this. Science, on the other hand, believes that inference, though fallible, is a superior episteme. Revelation doesn't play any role since science seeks to be objective in data gathering and interpretation.

Creationists beef with evolution has nothing do with evidence for creation. In fact, evidence is irrelevent to the creationists position since revelation is their source not inference. This is why creationists create and seek conflicts with evolution like information theory and why they have a difficult time creating a comprehensive theory. The other difficultly is that any creationist theory is likely to conflict with the world. Why? Because the world, via inference, looks to be several billion years old and whose inhabitatants appear to have evolved from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.