ECT Faith and Law

LoneStar

Abraham obeyed God, but not according to the law. In fact, human sacrifice was opposed to the law. So what God commanded of Abraham was not according to the law. Abraham's faith was perfectly willing to obey God DESPITE what the law taught. Abraham's faith (not according to law) was counted to him as righteousness.

Romans 4:13 KJV
(13) For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
(14) For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

Anyone that knew the law would have rejected the faith of Abraham and marked him as a lawbreaker if they had met him on the way to sacrificing his son.

Compare this to the Pharisees that marked Christ (who only did the will of the Father) as a lawbreaker.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Abraham obeyed God, but not according to the law. In fact, human sacrifice was opposed to the law. So what God commanded of Abraham was not according to the law. Abraham's faith was perfectly willing to obey God DESPITE what the law taught. Abraham's faith (not according to law) was counted to him as righteousness.

Romans 4:13 KJV
(13) For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
(14) For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

Anyone that knew the law would have rejected the faith of Abraham and marked him as a lawbreaker if they had met him on the way to sacrificing his son.

Compare this to the Pharisees that marked Christ (who only did the will of the Father) as a lawbreaker.

Yes,

Romans 4:24-25 KJV -

LoneStar

Acts 13:38-39 King James Version (KJV)
38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:
39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

JJ84

17) By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that received the promises offered up his only begotten son.
18) Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
19) Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from whence also he received him in a figure.
Hebrews 11:17-19

The Promise spoken of in Galatians 3:16

Bradley D

During the time of Abraham the law was not yet given. And as is known God was testing Abraham's faith/loyalty to Him.

God wanted to see whom Abraham loved more.

"Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you” (Gen. 22:2).

God was also testing Abraham for obedience.

"The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time and said, “I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me” (Gen. 22:15-18).

I believe that is what God searches for today is love and obedience to Him from believers.

Interplanner

He not only searches for it as though we had to come up with it, but the Gospel is the kind of message that compels us to love him and others, 2 Cor 5. Since it has that effect, the kinds of obedience that are will-driven or self-initiated are off to a bad start.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
He not only searches for it as though we had to come up with it, but the Gospel is the kind of message that compels us to love him and others, 2 Cor 5. Since it has that effect, the kinds of obedience that are will-driven or self-initiated are off to a bad start.
:kookoo:

Danoh

Great post.

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Danoh

During the time of Abraham the law was not yet given. And as is known God was testing Abraham's faith/loyalty to Him.

God wanted to see whom Abraham loved more.

"Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you” (Gen. 22:2).

God was also testing Abraham for obedience.

"The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time and said, “I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me” (Gen. 22:15-18).

I believe that is what God searches for today is love and obedience to Him from believers.

YOU are confused - that is Abraham AFTER he "was in circumcision" - for a pattern to the Circumcision ALSO described by Paul in Romans 4.

In Romans 4, Paul describes BOTH aspects of Abraham's faith....

When he was in UNcircumcision in Gen. 15:6 for a pattern to the Gentiles.

AND AFTER he was in Circumcision, some 20 years later, in, Gen. 17:24.

And the testing through Isaac was even more years AFTER that Abraham was in Circumcision, Gen. 22:7-9.

YOUR confusion is that Romans 4 deals with Abraham "when he was in UNcircumcision" for pattern to the Gentiles as to faith alone - "through the faith OF Jesus Christ."

While James 2 is Abraham "in Circumcision" for a pattern to the Circumcision - faith with...works.

And no; that is not two systems of salvation - ignorance - because it does not ask, concludes that is the assertion.

Interplanner

YOU are confused - that is Abraham AFTER he "was in circumcision" - for a pattern to the Circumcision ALSO described by Paul in Romans 4.

In Romans 4, Paul describes BOTH aspects of Abraham's faith....

When he was in UNcircumcision in Gen. 15:6 for a pattern to the Gentiles.

AND AFTER he was in Circumcision, some 20 years later, in, Gen. 17:24.

And the testing through Isaac was even more years AFTER that Abraham was in Circumcision, Gen. 22:7-9.

YOUR confusion is that Romans 4 deals with Abraham "when he was in UNcircumcision" for pattern to the Gentiles as to faith alone - "through the faith OF Jesus Christ."

While James 2 is Abraham "in Circumcision" for a pattern to the Circumcision - faith with...works.

And no; that is not two systems of salvation - ignorance - because it does not ask, concludes that is the assertion.

Now wait a second: James is not asking for circumcision as the sign of faith. That is not the works he has in mind. Haven't you ever read James? He is always on solid ethical issues, not ceremonial or dietary.