Fiona Hill: "The president was trying to stage a coup"

Arthur Brain

It's like John Cleese said: Fox News viewers aren't smart enough to realize how stupid they are.
As evidenced by many who still buy into their bunk despite knowing now that its hosts have been putting on a public facade while privately saying something altogether different. To be fair, Fox's audience are comprised of people who want "news" that appeals, Trumpsters, MAGA!'s & the like so if they didn't push election fraud conspiracy and similar they'd lose a good chunk of their target base. Also, Fox was pretty much in Trump's pocket and if they didn't broadcast to his satisfaction he'd angrily tweet and threaten to prioritise other outlets for "news" coverage.

Unfortunately for Fox there's comeback when slanderous and libelous allegations are made against companies that have the means to fight back and issue 1.6 billion dollar lawsuits, subpoenas and given access to 'behind the scenes' testimony. I highly doubt Carlson, Hannity, Murdoch were expecting their emails and texts to come under scrutiny as they have and for their real opinion as regards Trump and fraud to be aired. It's a circus but there'll still be plenty who regard Carlson with credibility and won't can't admit that Fox has been lying to them for years because they're too far down the rabbit hole to even attempt to get out.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Sure there are, and if you're one of those gullible enough to buy into Fox then you're in no position to comment.

As conservative Tom Nichols (Republican until 2018, now a registered independent) said recently:

"By now it should be clear that the people listening to Trump don’t care about facts, or even about policy or politics. They enjoy the show, and they want it back on TV for another four years. And this is a problem not with Trump but with the voters.

It is long past time to admit that support for Trump, after all that we now know, is a moral failing. As I wrote in a recent book, there is such a thing as being a bad citizen in a democracy, and we should cease the pretend arguments about policy—remember, the 2020 GOP convention didn’t even bother with a platform. Instead, anyone who cares about the health of American democracy, of any party or political belief, should say clearly that to applaud Trump’s fantasies and threats at CPAC is to show an utter lack of civic character."

Arthur Brain

Well, at least there's one 'Carlson' affiliated with Fox (formerly) who has no qualms about bluntly telling the truth:

Former Fox host Gretchen Carlson is joining the pile-on against her old network after its star opinion host Tucker Carlson predictably used exclusive access to security footage from January 6 to falsely depict the attack on Congress as a peaceful protest.

Ms Carlson, who bears no relation to her former colleague, furiously denounced the network and criticised the channel’s journalists for covering Mr Carlson’s remarks and the resulting backlash as if they are somehow unattached from the situation.

Notably, her criticism comes just days after Media Buzz host Howard Kurtz revealed on air that Fox bosses have banned him and others from speaking about the $1.6bn defamation lawsuit the network faces for its platforming of the lies that led to the attack.

“This is F’in bs — have your ‘straight’ news anchor call out total fabricated lies and an injustice to the American public by promoting lies via Tucker Carlson and pretend it’s not your network,” said Ms Carlson.

Arthur Brain

As conservative Tom Nichols (Republican until 2018, now a registered independent) said recently:

"By now it should be clear that the people listening to Trump don’t care about facts, or even about policy or politics. They enjoy the show, and they want it back on TV for another four years. And this is a problem not with Trump but with the voters.

It is long past time to admit that support for Trump, after all that we now know, is a moral failing. As I wrote in a recent book, there is such a thing as being a bad citizen in a democracy, and we should cease the pretend arguments about policy—remember, the 2020 GOP convention didn’t even bother with a platform. Instead, anyone who cares about the health of American democracy, of any party or political belief, should say clearly that to applaud Trump’s fantasies and threats at CPAC is to show an utter lack of civic character."
Effectively he's right. Outlets like Fox thrive on gullible audiences that don't want to think, they want to be told what to think and to have their confirmation biases applauded and encouraged. The last thing Fox wants is a discerning audience that shock - horror, questions the news...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

I'd be happy to see Trump win 2024 just to watch the left meltdown again 😁

Better stock up on puppies, bananahead!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Effectively he's right. Outlets like Fox thrive on gullible audiences that don't want to think, they want to be told what to think and to have their confirmation biases applauded and encouraged. The last thing Fox wants is a discerning audience that shock - horror, questions the news...

I watched Fox regularly in the early years, when Colmes (now deceased) was there to check Hannity and the Fox slogan (also deceased) was "fair and balanced." Yes, Fox was intended to be a counter to CNN and MSNBC, but it moved increasingly and stridently farther to the right during the Obama years and then completely unhinged during the Trump years. I don't watch TV news at all anymore, I don't even have cable, so only see clips here and there. Fox viewers skew older and whiter, and as they age out, they're not likely to be replaced by younger viewers who're more likely to be on RW youtube channels and other RW media outlets, which IMO are even worse and further from reality.

Last edited:

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Yes, Fox was intended to be a counter to CNN and MSNBC
Is Fox not a counter to CNN and MSNBC?

I don't watch TV news at all anymore, I don't even have cable, so only see clips here and there.
And what would you have people to do with that unsolicited, unimportant, and irrelevant bit of biographical information?

My microwave oven went on the fritz a decade ago, and I never replaced it. But I have a decent toaster oven, though I only use it here and there.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Is Fox not a counter to CNN and MSNBC?

And what would you have people to do with that unsolicited, unimportant, and irrelevant bit of biographical information?

My microwave oven went on the fritz a decade ago, and I never replaced it. But I have a decent toaster oven, though I only use it hear and there.
My wife left me 20 years ago and I never replaced it. I had a decent beagle for a while that kept my bed warm. I find myself between beagles at the moment.