Fire chief fired after gay comments in book

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
More confirmation, Cochran was fired for the "content" of the book that was written.

From the Washington Post
On Tuesday, here’s how Reed explained his decision to end Cochran’s tenure as Fire Chief:

“Despite my respect for Chief Cochran’s service, I believe his actions and decision-making undermine his ability to effectively manage a large, diverse workforce. Every single employee under the Fire Chief’s command deserves the certainty that he or she is a valued member of the team and that fairness and respect guide employment decisions. His actions and his statements during the investigation and his suspension have eroded my confidence in his ability to convey that message.
Chief Cochran also failed to notify me, as Mayor and Chief Executive of the City of Atlanta and and its inflammatory content. This demonstrates an irreconcilable lapse in judgment.”

Since when do we have to agree with our superiors on whatever issues they support?

What a horrible precedent here, get ready to be fired if you dont agree with all opinions of your bosses even on your own time.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
More confirmation, Cochran was fired for the "content" of the book that was written.

From the Washington Post
On Tuesday, here’s how Reed explained his decision to end Cochran’s tenure as Fire Chief:

“Despite my respect for Chief Cochran’s service, I believe his actions and decision-making undermine his ability to effectively manage a large, diverse workforce. Every single employee under the Fire Chief’s command deserves the certainty that he or she is a valued member of the team and that fairness and respect guide employment decisions. His actions and his statements during the investigation and his suspension have eroded my confidence in his ability to convey that message.
Chief Cochran also failed to notify me, as Mayor and Chief Executive of the City of Atlanta and and its inflammatory content. This demonstrates an irreconcilable lapse in judgment.”​

I could understand potential for that, but how many gay firemen are there really? :plain:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
According to this he gave three copies of the book to coworkers with whom he had a personal friendship. Someone, who did not receive a copy from Cochran, obtained a copy and gave it to a openly gay member of the city counsel. It does not sound like he distributed the book as an official act in his capacity of fire chief.

I'm curious about how that person obtained the book.

TracerBullet

I'm pretty sure that caring more about the feelings of a sexual pervert than the truth is hateful to God.

The sexual perverts don't like the statement? So what?

Once upon a time "discrimination" meant unfair treatment of someone on the basis of a protected class. Now it means thinking that homosexuality is wrong or saying what one honestly thinks.

Discrimination is now a thought crime.
no discrimination has stayed the same, it is still an act of hate and cowardliness and an act that still tries to hide behind religion.

Publishing bigoted statements about anyone is a deplorable act and it doesn't matter if those bigoted statements were about blacks or Jews or gays. One doesn't get a pass because you share the autor's prejudice and it doesn't get a pass if the bigot in question is holding up a bible.

What you posted here is no different than a racist saying something like "The jungle bunnies don't like the statement? So what?"

both yoru statement and that of the racist say the same thing - that the minority they have chosen to hate are somewhat less than human and deserve my hate and contempt.

Again, he didn't sign away his soul to the city when he signed the employment contract nor did he sign away his First Amendment rights.

Being a gov't representative does not exempt one from the enjoyment of the Bill of Rights.
the right to free speech goes hand with taking responsibility for what you say. Anyone is free to make sick hateful statements about blacks or the handicapped or gays or any other minority but they then have to live with the consequences of what they said.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
exactly how many does there need to be to make bigoted statements about them wrong?

There isn't an exact number, and in fact I might say that the fewer gay employees there are the greater the potential would be. Really, his entire workforce could be gay and he could potentially still manage them effectively if he's able to separate his own feelings about their lifestyles from them being his employees. But it doesn't seem that how he's actually doing his job is a big concern anymore. They find out he thinks homosexuality is a perversion and assume there will be trouble.

PureX

He can be the fire chief, and he can be a preacher. But he can't be both at the same time. He should have understood this. But he didn't.

Jose Fly

I'm pretty sure that caring more about the feelings of a sexual pervert than the truth is hateful to God.

The sexual perverts don't like the statement? So what?
And this is why you guys keep losing in court. "The gays don't like it...so what?"

Once upon a time "discrimination" meant unfair treatment of someone on the basis of a protected class. Now it means thinking that homosexuality is wrong or saying what one honestly thinks.

Discrimination is now a thought crime.
Nope. No one cares what you think. He was put on suspension for distributing anti-gay literature while on work time and in his capacity as Fire Chief. Not only that, he gave it to subordinates who didn't request it. That's what triggered this whole thing in the first place...some of his employees complained.

Yeah, so? He gave three people a gift that he thought would encourage them in their Christian faith.
Your "if it agrees with me it's OK" blind spot is making you look ridiculous again. He gave out anti-gay literature during work hours, in his capacity as Fire Chief, to employees who not only didn't request it, but complained about it as well. You can't do that.

How do you know it was on gov't time?
That's what's being reported.

Again, he didn't sign away his soul to the city when he signed the employment contract nor did he sign away his First Amendment rights.

Being a gov't representative does not exempt one from the enjoyment of the Bill of Rights.
I'm not going over this again with you. You're legally wrong as evidenced by the fact that the courts are consistently ruling against you.

You finally stumbled onto something.

The city's policy regarding gays (which is one of advocacy) cannot be dissented from by any gov't employee at any time, the consequences of dissent from the cities official ideology is termination.
The city is no more advocating homosexuality than they are advocating being religious, black, or a woman. All of those are protected classes under the city's anti-discrimination laws.

The definition of fascism is...
Hilarious. To you, "fascism" means "not allowing me to discriminate against gays".

This is why your side consistently loses in court.

No you can't.

Because that would be telling the truth to those who don't want to hear the truth and it would be countermanding the official state ideology which currently advocates homosexuality.
Thanks for making it perfectly clear what this is really about for you. You just want to be able to preach your anti-gay message whenever and wherever, and force everyone to listen.

Fortunately, we don't live in a theocracy.

Because the First Amendment doesn't extend to saying things "publicly anymore."
Not while you're at work. I'm pretty sure if he'd handed out KKK literature, he'd be fired for that as well.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Really? Why can't a gov't employee use public resources and his position of authority to preach to his subordinates?

The fact that you even have to ask that question shows how clueless the fundamentalist side is.

I don't think it has been proven that he either used public resources or 'preached' to his employees.

Jose Fly

I don't think it has been proven that he either used public resources or 'preached' to his employees.
All sides in this matter admit that he gave out his book to his subordinates while on the clock at work, and thus, in his capacity as Fire Chief. Therefore, he utilized gov't time to promote a specific religious agenda. You can't do that.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
does anybody think he would have been fired for writing and distributing a book that celebrated the "diversity" of the inclusion of perversity?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
All sides in this matter admit that he gave out his book to his subordinates while on the clock at work, and thus, in his capacity as Fire Chief. Therefore, he utilized gov't time to promote a specific religious agenda. You can't do that.

you've never held a job in the real world, have you?

Jose Fly

And thus we see why the fundamentalists consistently lose in court on this issue. They can't muster a valid legal argument.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
And thus we see why the fundamentalists consistently lose in court on this issue. They can't muster a valid legal argument.

you're a retard

why would i waste any time "mustering" a valid legal argument to a retard on the internet who's never had a job in the real world?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I believe he said he gave it to a few people who he already had a more personal relationship with and understood that they were Christians. You talk as if he was handing it out to anyone or he left it in the lunchroom for all to see.

Also, coworkers can exchange stuff at work without it coming from their job position or representing the company.