Focus on the Family Sides With Colorado Baker Refused to Bake 'God Hates Gays' Cake

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Article:

Focus on the Family Sides With Colorado Baker Who Refused to Bake 'God Hates Gays' Cake

A spokesman for a conservative Christian organization that lobbies for traditional marriage has come out in support of a bakery that refused to make a cake for a customer who requested that it include the phrase: "God hates Gays."

Azucar Bakery of Denver is currently under investigation by the Civil Rights division of the Department of Regulatory Agencies for possibly discriminating against a customer last March.

Jeff Johnston, issues analyst with the Colorado Springs-based Focus on the Family, told The Christian Post that he sided with the pro-gay bakery on the grounds of First Amendment rights.

"This is a free speech issue, and we support freedom of speech. It's also a religious or conscience issue — the government should not force people to violate their core beliefs," said Johnston.

"Just as a Christian baker should not be required to create a cake for a same-sex ceremony, this baker should not be required to create a cake with a message that goes against her conscience."

Marjorie Silva, the owner of Azucar who declined to make the anti-gay cake, told local media that the customer wanted a cake that included the phrase "God hates gays" along with an X through the image of a same-sex couple.

"After I read it, I was like, 'No way. We're not doing this.' This is just very discriminatory and hateful," Silva told 9News. "It's unfair that he's accusing me of discriminating when I think he was the one that is discriminating."

Last March, a customer named Bill Jack requested that Azucar Bakery bake a cake shaped like a Bible that would've included the "God hates gays" messages on it.

Silva refused to make the cake, concluding that the messages on the cake were discriminatory. In response, Jack filed a complaint with DORA's Civil Rights Division.

In a statement given to local media outlet 9News, Jack stated that he felt discriminated against when Azucar refused to make the cake he requested.

"I believe I was discriminated against by the bakery based on my creed. As a result, I filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights division," Jack said. "Out of respect for the process, I will wait for the director to release his findings before making further comments."

Azucar is not the first bakery to find itself in legal trouble over expression regarding homosexuality, but it might be the first to face possible legal action for refusing to cater to anti-gay sentiments.

Back in 2012 Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cake, another Colorado-based bakery, was sued for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Although Phillips agreed to make them other baked items, he said that his Christian beliefs prohibited him from fulfilling the request to make a cake for the wedding.

Related
Christian Cake Company's Refusal to Bake Pro-Gay Marriage Cake Compared to Slavery, Holocaust by Colorado Commissioner
13 Gay Bakeries Refuse to Make Traditional Marriage Cake With the Message: 'Gay Marriage Is Wrong'
Christian Couple Forced to Close Bakery Due to Gay Activism May Face Over 0K in Damages
Christian UK Bakery Could Face Court Case After Refusing to Make 'Bert and Ernie' Gay Marriage Cake
Ariz. Business Owner, Children Receive Vile Death Threats Over SB 1062 Support

"This is a free speech issue, and we support freedom of speech. It's also a religious or conscience issue — the government should not force people to violate their core beliefs," said Johnston.

"Just as a Christian baker should not be required to create a cake for a same-sex ceremony, this baker should not be required to create a cake with a message that goes against her conscience."

Marjorie Silva, the owner of Azucar who declined to make the anti-gay cake, told local media that the customer wanted a cake that included the phrase "God hates gays" along with an X through the image of a same-sex couple.

Jack Phillips
(Photo: Screen Grab via CBS 4)
Colorado baker Jack Phillips.

"After I read it, I was like, 'No way. We're not doing this.' This is just very discriminatory and hateful," Silva told 9News. "It's unfair that he's accusing me of discriminating when I think he was the one that is discriminating."

Last March, a customer named Bill Jack requested that Azucar Bakery bake a cake shaped like a Bible that would've included the "God hates gays" messages on it.

Silva refused to make the cake, concluding that the messages on the cake were discriminatory. In response, Jack filed a complaint with DORA's Civil Rights Division.

In a statement given to local media outlet 9News, Jack stated that he felt discriminated against when Azucar refused to make the cake he requested.

"I believe I was discriminated against by the bakery based on my creed. As a result, I filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights division," Jack said. "Out of respect for the process, I will wait for the director to release his findings before making further comments."

Azucar is not the first bakery to find itself in legal trouble over expression regarding homosexuality, but it might be the first to face possible legal action for refusing to cater to anti-gay sentiments.

Back in 2012 Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cake, another Colorado-based bakery, was sued for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Although Phillips agreed to make them other baked items, he said that his Christian beliefs prohibited him from fulfilling the request to make a cake for the wedding.

In response the gay couple filed a complaint against Phillips, which led to the Colorado Civil Rights Division determining that Masterpiece Cakeshop had discriminated against the couple.

"The undisputed facts show that (Phillips) discriminated against complainants because of their sexual orientation by refusing to sell them a wedding cake for their same-sex marriage," wrote Judge Robert N. Spencer in his December 2013 decision.

Phillips has since stopped baking wedding cakes for either straight or same-sex couples as a result of the Spencer decision.

On Facebook, Azucar Bakery's owner posted a photo of herself holding a white-frosted cake with the phrase "Stop the Hate!! Don't Discriminate."

As of Wednesday, the Facebook photo has garnered about 800 likes, 77 shares, and more than 140 comments, many of them statements of encouragement.

Rebecca Laurie, spokesperson with DORA, told CP that "we are not at liberty to verify a case, provide documents or comment."
from : http://www.christianpost.com/news/f...o-refused-to-bake-god-hates-gays-cake-132924/

Also adding an update to the other baker who refused the gay wedding cake, the colorado commission not only found him guilty of discrimination, for refusing the cake for the gay wedding but went further and bashed him and his beliefs :

"Commissioner [Diann] Rice compared a private citizen who owns a small bakery to slaveholders and Holocaust perpetrators merely for asking that the state respect his right to free speech and free exercise of religion. Her comments suggest that others on the commission may share her view. This anti-religious bigotry undermines the integrity of the entire process and the commission's order as well."
see that article here : Christian Cake Company's Refusal to Bake Pro-Gay Marriage Cake Compared to Slavery, Holocaust by Colorado Commissioner

So, all of you who support the sanctions against the baker that got sanctioned for his refusal to make a gay wedding cake - do you support sanctions against this baker?

If no, why not, its clearly discrimination against his religious beliefs...If you think one business owner should be forced to create things against his beliefs, why shouldn't this one also be forced to?

My stance, neither baker should be sanctioned and business owners should have the right not to support causes or beliefs in which they do not agree and their freedom of speech and religion need not be checked at the door of their business.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As always, I side with business OWNERS to make these types of decisions.

By these types of decisions, I mean ... mountain. Molehill.

It's a cake for goodness sakes. Not a blood transfusion or emergency procedure.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
As always, I side with business OWNERS to make these types of decisions.

By these types of decisions, I mean ... mountain. Molehill.

It's a cake for goodness sakes. Not a blood transfusion or emergency procedure.

Agree but these molehills are costing people their businesses and money and time and their freedoms - and hence turning them into mountains.

shagster01

I agree with Rusha. The business should decide what it wants to do.

However, I do have two other thoughts. . .

1. A cake that says "God hates gays" is different than a wedding cake. It's not like Gays are suing because a bakery refused to make a "God hates Baptists" cake or something. One is celebrating love. The other has the word "hate" right in it.

2. All this bickering back and forth by both sides about cakes and who are the ones actually getting hurt? Cake makers. Both sides are working together to put cake shops out of business here. Stupid.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I agree with Rusha. The business should decide what it wants to do.

However, I do have two other thoughts. . .

1. A cake that says "God hates gays" is different than a wedding cake. It's not like Gays are suing because a bakery refused to make a "God hates Baptists" cake or something. One is celebrating love. The other has the word "hate" right in it.

Just because its a different cake, the overall issue isnt different, the baker is being forced to make something against his beliefs, and in this case the religious beliefs of the patron are being violated and religious freedom, unlike gay marriage IS guaranteed by the constitution.

2. All this bickering back and forth by both sides about cakes and who are the ones actually getting hurt? Cake makers. Both sides are working together to put cake shops out of business here. Stupid.

I agree, the business owner should have the right to deny any business he wants.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Some additional info about Silva's attempt to accommodate the cake order:
But there appear to be some differences between the two cases. The civil rights division will have to decide, as many LGBT advocates are arguing, whether those differences are significant enough to warrant treating each case differently.

For one thing, Silva says that she offered to accommodate Jack’s request in a way that would not require her to write the words in question in her own hand. According to KDVR, Silva proposed that her bakery make the cake with a blank Bible page and provide Jack with the frosting and piping materials needed to write his anti-gay cake message on the dessert himself.

So it seems she didn't refuse service by refusing to bake the cake; she was willing to bake and frost it, except for the words.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Some additional info about Silva's attempt to accommodate the cake order:
But there appear to be some differences between the two cases. The civil rights division will have to decide, as many LGBT advocates are arguing, whether those differences are significant enough to warrant treating each case differently.

For one thing, Silva says that she offered to accommodate Jack’s request in a way that would not require her to write the words in question in her own hand. According to KDVR, Silva proposed that her bakery make the cake with a blank Bible page and provide Jack with the frosting and piping materials needed to write his anti-gay cake message on the dessert himself.

So it seems she didn't refuse service by refusing to bake the cake; she was willing to bake and frost it, except for the words.

And the other baker was all fine and well with making the gays a cake, just not decorating and creating it for a wedding, same problem.

Christian Liberty

I am glad that Focus on the Family has common sense here. I don't see why this is even an issue. But of course, liberals will make it an issue when someone doesn't want to cower before them.

musterion

Also, can we stop calling it "gay cake"? The implications are just horrid. Let's adopt the term gake. It still sounds disturbing and disgusting - like sanctified sodomy itself - but without the unwelcome mental visuals.

shagster01

Still nobody is telling me what rights were violated by the cake maker. The customer is suing because his religious rights were violated. Angel4Truth claims his religious rights were violated. But nobody will tell me exactly which rights were violated.

Lon

Still nobody is telling me what rights were violated by the cake maker. The customer is suing because his religious rights were violated. Angel4Truth claims his religious rights were violated. But nobody will tell me exactly which rights were violated.
Right, what rights of a gay couple were violated when a Christian refused to also not bake the cake?

It is a goose/gander pendulum swing and it HAS to swing back. That's the whole point between these two cases. A Christian, honoring his morals/values should be able to exercise those freedoms barring another's unalienable rights. A 'cake' bars nobody's unalienable rights. The gay baker, first shouldn't exist. That said, maybe they 'should' have to bake a cake that "God hates gay and all sin" :think: Well, it likely will never swing back to that position, even if one is right and the other is wrong, BUT this case is concerned with a business owner's rights. Even a gay business owner has the right to refuse, though it isn't against God's morals in this case.

If OJ taught us anything, it is if you can throw enough money at it, you too can change laws, whether they are moral or not. Justice hasn't been blind for a long time in this country. That's the problem with the current judiciary system from this century and most of the last: Justice can be purchased by the ACLU or the GL community. Well, at least it appears to be true. Jesus actually taught us this in Mathew, that if you keep waking up a man, he'll give you bread just to get some sleep. We need a lot more Christian nagging mothers going to court. :up:

(forgive my rambling, the first paragraph answers the question, I believe)