Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Elaine
Hi, I:bow:!
HA! That's cute! I'll have to remember that.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ahem...I hate to break up this little party here but there are plenty (and I mean plenty) of threads to shoot the breeze. Need I remind you why this thread was started in the first place? :readthis:

Elaine

Originally posted by Poly
ahem...I hate to break up this little party here but there are plenty (and I mean plenty) of threads to shoot the breeze. Need I remind you why this thread was started in the first place? :readthis:
:hammer: Sorry, Poly. Okay, anyone who wants to continue this trivial conversation, go to the "For Students Only--Sideshoot" thread which I will start in this forum. Thanks!

Elaine

Now, back to the topic. Here are some of the verses which I believe support my view.
"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say the thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Matthew 7:1-5.
I have noticed how many people who preach "judge not" will strategically leave off some of the verses, especially 3-5. Anyway, to my understanding the verse can only make sense one way. That is, we are not to judge others if we ourselves are guilty of the same sin. Once, however, we have "cast the beam" out of our own eyes by repenting of our sin, we can try to point out where they are wrong.
"And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, they say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst." John 8: 3-10
This passage is often used as an argument against judging.
It's strange, isn't it, how the man escaped? I wouldn't be overly surprised if the adulterer had been one of the scribes or Pharisees. It appears to me that the scribes and Pharisees were also guilty of adultery, and therefore not worthy to judge the woman. This is suggested when whatever Jesus wrote in the ground caused them to be "convicted by their own conscience." It does not say what Jesus wrote, but it would make sense that he wrote the names of the scribes and Pharisees, and perhaps the names of those with whom they had committed adultery.
"Open rebuke is better than secret love." Proverbs 27:5
This one is pretty much self-evident. :D

ShadowMaid

Now, back to the topic. Here are some of the verses which I believe support my view.
"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say the thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Matthew 7:1-5.
I have noticed how many people who preach "judge not" will strategically leave off some of the verses, especially 3-5. Anyway, to my understanding the verse can only make sense one way. That is, we are not to judge others if we ourselves are guilty of the same sin. Once, however, we have "cast the beam" out of our own eyes by repenting of our sin, we can try to point out where they are wrong.
"And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, they say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst." John 8: 3-10
This passage is often used as an argument against judging.
It's strange, isn't it, how the man escaped? I wouldn't be overly surprised if the adulterer had been one of the scribes or Pharisees. It appears to me that the scribes and Pharisees were also guilty of adultery, and therefore not worthy to judge the woman. This is suggested when whatever Jesus wrote in the ground caused them to be "convicted by their own conscience." It does not say what Jesus wrote, but it would make sense that he wrote the names of the scribes and Pharisees, and perhaps the names of those with whom they had committed adultery.
"Open rebuke is better than secret love." Proverbs 27:5
This one is pretty much self-evident. :D

Super research Elaine!!:thumb:

I especially like the one about the mote and beam.

Very interesting accusation about the Pharisees. I wouldn't be surprised either.

I still have to post my reply. [sigh]So much to do, so little time.[/sigh]

Elaine

Originally posted by ShadowMaid
Super research Elaine!!:thumb:
Anyone can do it with a good concordance...:read: :noid: :D
I especially like the one about the mote and beam.
So do I. :chuckle:
Very interesting accusation about the Pharisees. I wouldn't be surprised either.
Yeah, I've thought about it, and so far I haven't come to any other conclusion which makes sense. :think:
I still have to post my reply. [sigh]So much to do, so little time.[/sigh]
I'm sure it won't take someone like you very long. :thumb:

Zimfan

Bump! This thread should get more attention! I wouldn't want it to "die!" :jump:

:dead: I think it may be too late for this thread. It's probably because noone can think of anything to add to what you said or disagree with it. Next time you'll have to remember to make either a poorer or less complete argument.

I know some liberals who might try this...

:hammer: Judging's bad, m'kay.