Galatians 2:7 How many Gospels? Have your say on the translation.

achduke

Galatians 2:7 NASB But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised

Galatians 2:7 KJV But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as [the gospel] of the circumcision [was] unto Peter;

The 2nd use of the word "gospel" is not in the Greek. Also the Greek word τῆς "TES" Strongs 3588 is translated many ways throughout the Greek. Some include, "the", "of the", "of", "than the", "which"

Google translation word by word:

ἀλλὰ τοὐναντίον ἰδόντες ὅτι πεπίστευμαι τὸ εὐαγγέλιον τῆς ἀκροβυστίας καθὼς Πέτρος τῆς περιτομῆς,

"but" "on the contrary" "having seen" "that" "entrust" "the" "gospel" "of" "uncircumcised" "as" "Peter" "of" "circumcised"

Truster

What I have is;

''But contrariwise when they saw that the uncircumcision was entrusted to me, exactly as the circumcision was unto Petros;''

The term evangel, mistranslated as gospel, does not appear in the verse.

achduke

What I have is;

''But contrariwise when they saw that the uncircumcision was entrusted to me, exactly as the circumcision was unto Petros;''

The term evangel, mistranslated as gospel, does not appear in the verse.

Not sure what you mean. What Greek word do you think it is?

εὐαγγέλιον euangelion

There are many times εὐαγγέλιον is translated as Gospel and it is in the Greek text.

nikolai_42

Galatians 2:7 NASB But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised

Galatians 2:7 KJV But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as [the gospel] of the circumcision [was] unto Peter;

The 2nd use of the word "gospel" is not in the Greek. Also the Greek word τῆς "TES" Strongs 3588 is translated many ways throughout the Greek. Some include, "the", "of the", "of", "than the", "which"

Google translation word by word:

ἀλλὰ τοὐναντίον ἰδόντες ὅτι πεπίστευμαι τὸ εὐαγγέλιον τῆς ἀκροβυστίας καθὼς Πέτρος τῆς περιτομῆς,

"but" "on the contrary" "having seen" "that" "entrust" "the" "gospel" "of" "uncircumcised" "as" "Peter" "of" "circumcised"

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 1:16

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Romans 10:11-13

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

I Corinthians 1:21-24

Looks like one gospel to me...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 1:16

So there is definitely two if Peter and Paul both go to the Jew first then the gentile. Otherwise, Galatians 2 has meaning.

Truster

Not sure what you mean. What Greek word do you think it is?

εὐαγγέλιον euangelion

There are many times εὐαγγέλιον is translated as Gospel and it is in the Greek text.

εὐαγγέλιον should be transliterated and not translated as there was no word representing εὐαγγέλιον in any other language.

nikolai_42

So there is definitely two if Peter and Paul both go to the Jew first then the gentile. Otherwise, Galatians 2 has meaning.

The three passages I quoted, though, show that the gospel is the same even if it goes to different people in different ways. The message doesn't change though the messenger and the medium may. Paul said he became "all things to all people" so they might hear. But when talking of his own people, his approach was different :

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

Romans 11:13-14

And look at what Paul said about becoming all things to all people :

For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

I Corinthians 9:16-22

If Paul is talking about 2 different gospels here, he certainly isn't making it clear about which they are or what the difference is. But he certainly is talking about multiple different approaches...

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
gospel is good news
that

John 3:16King James Version (KJV)

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

anything else is distraction from this clear message

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Peter was a fisherman by trade, Paul was a rabbi by trade and had a deeper comprehension of the law and its purpose than anyone else.

However, Peter preached salvation by grace.

Peter said, "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they." (Acts 15:11 NKJV)

This was the gospel to the circumcision ... salvation by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul preached the same gospel.

Last edited:

Ben Masada

Galatians 2:7 How many Gospels? You say on the translation

Galatians 2:7 How many Gospels? You say on the translation

How many gospels! Two. The gospel of Paul and the gospel of Jesus aka Judaism. That's the gospel preached by Peter unto the Gentiles whose converts would become as Jewish as if converted directly to Judaism. (Acts 15:7) And for the gospel of Paul, wherever he would preach it, the converted ones would be called Christians. (Acts 11:26) Once, Paul gave some hearing to the gospel preached by the Apostles of Jesus and got terribly disappointed that they were preaching a different gospel from his and about what seemed to be a different Jesus. For that reason, he considered them as false apostles disguised into the apostles of "Christ." You can check for this info in II Cor. 11:4-6, 13.

Truster

If anyone took the time to discover what the term εὐαγγέλιον or evangelism actually means then you'd know for sure there is only one and that there can only be one εὐαγγέλιον.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The three passages I quoted, though, show that the gospel is the same even if it goes to different people in different ways. ...

Galatians 2 says Peter to one, Paul to the other. However, they both go to both. So why have Galatians 2. How many times does this have to get repeated without answering the question?

Ben Masada

Peter was a fisherman by trade, Paul was a rabbi by trade and had a deeper comprehension of the law and its purpose than anyone else.

However, Peter preached salvation by grace.

Peter said, "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they." Acts 15:11 NKJV)

This was the gospel to the circumcision ... salvation by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul preached the same gospel.

Sorry Jamie but Paul did not preach the same gospel preached by the Apostles of Jesus. The Gospel of Jesus was according to the Law and the Prophets if you read Mat. 5:17-19. The gospel of Paul was against the Law if you read Ephes. 2:15; Rom. 7:6 and 10:4. And he would openly preach against "Moses" and circumcision. Mind you, even to the Jewish parents to stop circumcising their children. (Acts 21:21) That was the climax of arrogance. Just as a foot note, the "Christ" of Paul could not be Jesus because Jesus would preach "Moses" aka the Law, implying that it was the only way to escape hell-fire. Read Luke 16:29-31.

nikolai_42

Galatians 2 says Peter to one, Paul to the other. However, they both go to both. So why have Galatians 2. How many times does this have to get repeated without answering the question?

Why have Galatians 2? Because Peter was taking THE Gospel to the Jews and in the process was entrenching them - not in THE Gospel, but in the Law. Paul and Peter each had their apostleship to specific people, but that didn't prevent them preaching to others. In fact, I would say that if there were 2 gospels, then they SHOULDN'T have preached to any other than those to whom they were called because they would be preaching the wrong Gospel (potentially).

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

Gal 2:7-8

But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:14-16

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Sorry Jamie but Paul did not preach the same gospel preached by the Apostles of Jesus. The Gospel of Jesus was according to the Law and the Prophets if you read Mat. 5:17-19.

Jesus sent his apostles to all nations.

Why do you quote from a book you don't believe in?

SaulToPaul 2

gospel of uncircumcision- it's roots are found in how God dealt with Abraham before circumcision

gospel of circumcision- it's roots are found in how God dealt with Abraham after circumcision

They are different.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Paul answers your question, he said, "(for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles)..." (Galatians 2:8 NKJV)

Peter had enough scriptural knowledge to preach to Jews, but Paul was more qualified to preach to Jews or Gentiles.

nikolai_42

Sorry Jamie but Paul did not preach the same gospel preached by the Apostles of Jesus. The Gospel of Jesus was according to the Law and the Prophets if you read Mat. 5:17-19. The gospel of Paul was against the Law if you read Ephes. 2:15; Rom. 7:6 and 10:4. And he would openly preach against "Moses" and circumcision. Mind you, even to the Jewish parents to stop circumcising their children. (Acts 21:21) That was the climax of arrogance. Just as a foot note, the "Christ" of Paul could not be Jesus because Jesus would preach "Moses" aka the Law, implying that it was the only way to escape hell-fire. Read Luke 16:29-31.

Three little words : It is finished!

Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Daniel 9:24-27

achduke

gospel of uncircumcision- it's roots are found in how God dealt with Abraham before circumcision

gospel of circumcision- it's roots are found in how God dealt with Abraham after circumcision

They are different.

Is the circumcision/uncircumcised talking about the heart or a physical circumcision? ?

Ben Masada

Jesus sent his apostles to all nations.

Why do you quote from a book you don't believe in?

As long as you believe in it, I have the right to quote it because, like all the other Christians, you are using a Jew aka Jesus to preach against his Faith which happens to be the same as the one I profess.

Are you sure that Jesus sent his apostles to all nations? The opposite rather seems to be true if you read Mat. 10:5,6 when Jesus even forbade his disciples to take the gospel of salvation to the Gentiles, especially Samaritans. Why would Jesus do that, when he knew that the Jews have been assigned as light unto the Gentiles? (Isa. 42:6) Do you have any idea?