Garden talk

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So far, I've got tomatoes, artichokes, cucumbers, squash, and kidney beans started. I also have catnip and lilacs potted and growing until I can put them outside. Today, I bought two hanging pots, ten strawberry roots, and a rectangular pot for garlic. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to hit the nursery and get two apple trees, two pear trees, two raspberry bushes, two blackberry bushes, and two grapevines. Warm weather's here and I'm ready to get my garden going.

theophilus

I've got to move a cactus outside.

I dug two small cacti last fall and now they are five.

???

Nori,

I would have to build a cement wall to have a garden. I have WAY too many deer, skunks, raccoons, opossums, groundhogs, turkeys and blue-jays for a real garden.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Deer are easy to keep away. Take to posts (I use the thin ones that farmers use to string barbed wire on) and string fishing line at knee height and chest height (on a deer). The deer can't see the line so when they hit it, it scares them. To keep all but birds away, try planting in straw bales. To keep birds away, cut up an old garden hose into about eight to twelve inch pieces. They think they're snakes.
I've got to move a cactus outside.

I dug two small cacti last fall and now they are five.

???

Nori,

I would have to build a cement wall to have a garden. I have WAY too many deer, skunks, raccoons, opossums, groundhogs, turkeys and blue-jays for a real garden.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Deer are easy to keep away. Take to posts (I use the thin ones that farmers use to string barbed wire on) and string fishing line at knee height and chest height (on a deer). The deer can't see the line so when they hit it, it scares them. To keep all but birds away, try planting in straw bales. To keep birds away, cut up an old garden hose into about eight to twelve inch pieces. They think they're snakes.

Will any of that work on the neighbor kids?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My mom told me that it works to keep crows away. I've never tried it with trying to keep birds away from my garden. I know it works with my cats because they jump whenever they come close to my hose.
Many birds eat snakes. It needs to be a big snake. I like the idea though.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Deer are easy to keep away. Take to posts (I use the thin ones that farmers use to string barbed wire on) and string fishing line at knee height and chest height (on a deer). The deer can't see the line so when they hit it, it scares them.

That's hard on us four wheeler riders.

The Nazis used to stretch piano wire across the road and it'd take off one's head when riding in a jeep. They used to place a vertical blade on the front of jeeps and they'd here the wires twang as they drove down the road.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I put a fat five foot inflatable snake in the roof trusses in my shop to scare the birds. It worked at first but then the birds got used to it. You have to relocate it often to keep it working. It's 20 ft up there so I gave up on it. Now, I just keep the big doors shut during nest building season to keep 'em out. They still stuff the door track tubes with nesting material on the outside. I open them periodically to flush th' stuff out before they lay eggs there.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nori, have ya'll had trouble with grasshoppers in your area?
The last couple of years, they have been thick around here.

I have heard someone say that they were going to try and place a smoker in the middle of the garden and keep a small fire going everyday.
If they are bad again this year, I may try that for a few days and see if it actually works.