Gay activist calls for teen's parents to be prosecuted

GFR7

This is an important issue for several reasons:

1. It may be setting a precedent for future legislation.

2. Gay activist Dan Savage is saying that because a "transgender" teen committed suicide, the parents should be prosecuted for lack of support.

3. This was a male teen, and gay sites are referring to the boy as a "she" and a "daughter", and decrying the fact that the parents say they've lost a son, and refer to the boy as a 'he'.

4. Savage is also calling for the parents to have their other children removed from the home:

He posted on Twitter: "Finally: #LeelahAlcorn has siblings. We don't leave kids in the care of parents who just killed one of their other children."

Leelah-Alcorn-2.jpg

o-TRANSGENDER-TEEN-LEELAH-ALCORN-facebook.jpg

Dan Savage: Leelah Alcorn’s parents should be prosecuted for her suicide

Gay activist Dan Savage has called for the parents of transgender teenager Leelah Alcorn, who killed herself, to be prosecuted.

Leelah Alcorn, from Ohio, scheduled a heartbreaking post on Tumblr, citing her parent’s refusal to accept her trans status, and calling for better education and awareness, before taking her own life by stepping in front of a truck.

She said her Christian parents refused to allow her to self-identify, and told her she was going through “a phase” because “God doesn’t make mistakes”.

Savage took to Twitter to compare Leelah’s suicide to that of 18-year-old Tyler Clementi, who killed himself by jumping off a bridge in September 2010, just weeks into his first year at university after a gay romantic encounter was filmed and broadcast by his roommate.
Clementi’s roommate Dharun Ravi was convicted in 2012 of invasion of privacy, bias intimidation and other counts and served less than a month in jail.

Savage tweeted: “If Tyler Clemente’s [sic] roommate could be prosecuted—and he was—then the parents of #LeelahAlcorn can & should be.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/01/0...parents-should-be-prosecuted-for-her-suicide/

Doom

Dan Savage should be exported to Iraq with Allah is Gay tattooed on his forehead.

GFR7

Dan Savage should be exported to Iraq with Allah is Gay tattooed on his forehead.
Well, maybe so, because his demands here are outlandish.

It is horrible that this teen killed himself, but I think it is more likely that this whole campaign for transgenderism is responsible.

Doom

It is horrible that this teen killed himself, but I think it is more likely that this whole campaign for transgenderism is responsible.
Exactly. The only way the parents should be prosecuted is if they forced this kid to be a transgender, just as Savage should be prosecuted for encouraging and approving the lifestyle as acceptable.

If a young girl aborts her child and then commits suicide, it's the legislators and medical personal that should be prosecuted. Only the parents should be prosecuted if they forced her to have the abortion.

GFR7

Exactly. The only way the parents should be prosecuted is if they forced this kid to be a transgender, just as Savage should be prosecuted for encouraging and approving the lifestyle as acceptable.

If a young girl aborts her child and then commits suicide, it's the legislators and medical personal that should be prosecuted. Only the parents should be prosecuted if they forced her to have the abortion.
Unfortunately, the liberal culture has this all stood on its head. :nono:

Lexington'96

He posted on Twitter: "Finally: #LeelahAlcorn has siblings. We don't leave kids in the care of parents who just killed one of their other children."

This is something we might see in the future, the state deciding that certain parents are too "homophobic" or "transphobic" to raise children."

shagster01

You are equal to Dan Savage with these opinions, just on the opposite side.

Nobody should be prosecuted for another's suicide unless an actual crime was committed. We need to quit blaming other people for one person's decision.

Doom

You are equal to Dan Savage with these opinions, just on the opposite side.
Not even close.

Dan Savage promotes evil and people die.

I am promoting abstaining from evil so that people will live.

You are the same kind of liberal that thinks that killing innocent babies is good and that the death penalty for murderers and rapists is evil.

Nobody should be prosecuted for another's suicide unless an actual crime was committed.
Making evil behavior legal should be a crime, but because of evil liberals calling evil "good", we have people killing babies and themselves over the guilt of their evil behavior.
We need to quit blaming other people for one person's decision.
Liberals are responsible for sponsoring, encouraging, endorsing, legislating, and participating in evil behavior, so they are in fact responsible for the evil things that others are now allowed to engage in.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, maybe so,
:plain: You see what you did there?

...It is horrible that this teen killed himself, but I think it is more likely that this whole campaign for transgenderism is responsible.
People who take their own lives are rarely in their right minds. Kids this age are operating with a seriously defective prefrontal cortex, make poor judgments from an emotional maelstrom often enough, which is why we don't let them vote, contract, etc. It's a tragic waste of a young life.

Last edited:

shagster01

Not even close.
Dan Savage promotes evil and people die.

I am promoting abstaining from evil so that people will live.

People die because of both sides, but mostly because of themselves.

But I mean you are both the same in the sense that you both are looking for other people to blame for this guy's choice.

You are the same kind of liberal that thinks that killing innocent babies is good and that the death penalty for murderers and rapists is evil.

Are you purposely lying?

I don't think abortion is good.

And I do support the death penalty and think it should be used more often.
You are a false witness here.

Making evil behavior legal should be a crime,

Impossible. The people making evil legal would be the same people making it a crime to make it legal.

GFR7

Town Heretic said:
:plain: You see what you did there?
Yes. :think:

People who take their own lives are rarely in their right minds. Kids this age are operating with a seriously defective prefrontal cortex, make poor judgments from an emotional maelstrom often enough, which is why we don't let them vote, contract, etc. It's a tragic waste of a young life.
Of course it's terribly tragic. But is Savage correct in blaming the parents and calling for their prosecution for murder?

And if this is the reason we don't let them vote or contract, then why in blazes do we "try them as adults" when they commit murder at age 14???????????? Infuriating.......... :madmad:

PureX

Parents can be prosecuted for child abuse and endangerment. The question, here, is whether or not the parent's behavior toward the child constitutes child abuse or endangerment?

I don't think that not allowing their male child to "self-identify" as a female would be considered child abuse. But we don't know the full story (as with all of GFR7's homophobe alarmist threads) or the full extent of the parent's reaction, so it's impossible to determine if abuse occurred.

If, for example, the parents were using shame and humiliation to try and dissuade the child from this "phase", instead of getting the child professional psychological help, and that shame and humiliation finally drove the child to suicide, there may be real cause for prosecution.

This story isn't really about the child's sexual orientation, it's about possible parental abuse.

csuguy

While the parents did overreact a bit in response to their kid coming out - the child was clearly psychologically disturbed. People want to ignore the fact that there has to be some deep psychological issues for one to kill themselves over not getting a cosmetic surgery (as if such a mutilation of their body would solve their problems). I highly doubt the parents are responsible for the kid boiling down their entire identity and self-worth to their sexuality.

shagster01

If, for example, the parents were using shame and humiliation to try and dissuade the child from this "phase", instead of getting the child professional psychological help, and that shame and humiliation finally drove the child to suicide, there may be real cause for prosecution.

This story isn't really about the child's sexual orientation, it's about possible parental abuse.

In his suicide letter, he says that his parents did send him to therapy, but they would only send him to Christian therapy that was trying to teach him to change or move past the phase rather than helping equip him to deal with it.

To me this is like the Good Samaritan law. The parents seemed to be trying to help.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes. :think:
Good. Because I hate it when irony goes to waste.

Of course it's terribly tragic. But is Savage correct in blaming the parents and calling for their prosecution for murder?
How can you read the second part of what I wrote and ask that? I don't have all the facts, but at the outset I'd be inclined to say no. If it came out that his parents berated him daily, said things like, "You'd be better off dead" or "I wish you'd never been born than be some sort of..." that sort of thing. If they did that to a mentally unstable kid then sure they'd shoulder some of the blame, at least morally.

And if this is the reason we don't let them vote or contract, then why in blazes do we "try them as adults" when they commit murder at age 14???????????? Infuriating.......... :madmad:
Because we're a stupidly political and hypocritical people when it comes to crime. We're punishing the act and limiting the question to whether they understood the nature and consequence of their act. A standard we don't apply to the question of contract at the same age.

It is madness.

GFR7

Of course it's madness.

Savage is basing his idea on the fact that the parents were not supportive, called him a 'he' rather than a 'she', and took him to Christian counselors.

GFR7

Parents can be prosecuted for child abuse and endangerment. The question, here, is whether or not the parent's behavior toward the child constitutes child abuse or endangerment?

I don't think that not allowing their male child to "self-identify" as a female would be considered child abuse. But we don't know the full story (as with all of GFR7's homophobe alarmist threads) or the full extent of the parent's reaction, so it's impossible to determine if abuse occurred.

My threads are neither homophobe nor alarmist. They are taken from real news stories and are about actual issues which are being debated, and ought to be debated.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Of course it's madness.

Savage is basing his idea on the fact that the parents were not supportive, called him a 'he' rather than a 'she', and took him to Christian counselors.
If that's the sum of his outrage he's an idiot.