God, the devil, and your neighbor

NuMessJew

Originally posted by Goose
Pub schooling is anything but enlightening. It sucks the very life out of you.

In public school I learned;
Mathematics
Science
Art
Music
English
Spanish
Greek
Latin
Hebrew
Psychology
History
Philosophy
Social science
Bible History
Yada yada yada

I’m sorry your experience was not as fulfilling. Perhaps you did take advantage of the opportunity you were given.

NuMessJew

MisplacedHead

I goto a Catholic High School, and if anything, it's made me question more parts of my faith than it has deepened them. I am still a firm believer in Jesus Christ, however, sometimes, I find it difficult to accept everything I am told to believe about God and religion. But this is what faith is for.

NuMessJew

Originally posted by MisplacedHead
I goto a Catholic High School, and if anything, it's made me question more parts of my faith than it has deepened them. I am still a firm believer in Jesus Christ, however, sometimes, I find it difficult to accept everything I am told to believe about God and religion. But this is what faith is for.

Questions are good. Don't be afraid of them.

NuMesssJew

Goose

Originally posted by NuMessJew

In public school I learned;
Mathematics
Science
Art
Music
English
Spanish
Greek
Latin
Hebrew
Psychology
History
Philosophy
Social science
Bible History
Yada yada yada

I’m sorry your experience was not as fulfilling. Perhaps you did take advantage of the opportunity you were given.

NuMessJew
Pub school for me was just trying to keep all the kids out of trouble. Learning was secondary. Pub school is different then it was 35-40 years ago.

Goose

It's good to question your faith. God doesn't expect us to walk blindly. Keep the questions rolling, and always keep in mind that humans aren't perfect, but God is. Take care and God Bless

NuMessJew

Pub school for me was just trying to keep all the kids out of trouble. Learning was secondary. Pub school is different then it was 35-40 years ago.

Never to late to learn.

NuMessJew

Godless_One

Originally posted by ebenz47037

Not in my opinion. It says that the majority of people who have graduated college (with the exception of Christian colleges) have been in the public education system too long and are brain-washed by political correctness.

(And, this is coming from someone who has no college degree. :D)

I'd disagree with you because I've gone to Catholic school my entire life, raised by Catholic parents, with Catholic friends, and through enough of my own thought, I've come to the conclusion that i do not believe in a god. Ideas such as 'god' or 'heaven' are merely tools of religion used as an incentive for believers to act morally. They use our human nature by turning something which we should do anyway into something we do for ourselves, for the promise of an eternal life. I know that the lives of others as well as my own would be better if people would act morally, and that's incentive enough for me.

So basically, there tends to be a greater number of college graduates who are atheist not because of brainwashing, but rather because they'd like to think for themselves.

(And, this is coming from a college-bound HS Student :p)]

Godless_One

I also go to a Catholic High School, and I went through the same thing you are going through now. After enough thought, I determined that atheism was right for me. Even though i don't believe in God, I know that there are people who need God. I often think about how life would be better if I could believe that there was someone that makes all things possible and can give us hope when we can't find it anywhere else. So, go ahead and keep searching and you'll find what's right for you, whether it would be Catholicism, atheism, or any other system of beliefs.

Godless_One

Goose,

You're right, sure I think it'd be great if there was a god, but I can't bring myself to believe the idea of it with my current view of religion in general. That's how religion works, by offering us impossibly good things in exchange for right and just actions.

Goose

Well, isn't that jumping the gun? I mean, there could be a god or gods that don't offer that, but still created existence.

NuMessJew

Originally posted by Godless_One
Goose,

You're right, sure I think it'd be great if there was a god, but I can't bring myself to believe the idea of it with my current view of religion in general. That's how religion works, by offering us impossibly good things in exchange for right and just actions.

Would you have a problem with seeing the idea of "God" as the first uncaused cause? If there is a begining there was something that begun it?...;-) We can see cause and effect in our own lives. Let's move away from anthropormorphisms.

NuMessJew

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Godless_One

I'd disagree with you because I've gone to Catholic school my entire life, raised by Catholic parents, with Catholic friends, and through enough of my own thought, I've come to the conclusion that i do not believe in a god. Ideas such as 'god' or 'heaven' are merely tools of religion used as an incentive for believers to act morally. They use our human nature by turning something which we should do anyway into something we do for ourselves, for the promise of an eternal life. I know that the lives of others as well as my own would be better if people would act morally, and that's incentive enough for me.

So basically, there tends to be a greater number of college graduates who are atheist not because of brainwashing, but rather because they'd like to think for themselves.

(And, this is coming from a college-bound HS Student :p)]

That's okay. We're allowed to disagree. I will tell you how I feel about it and you tell me how you feel about it. No problem. I don't act morally because of God or heaven. I treat others how I want to be treated. I put myself on a high moral standard because I grew up watching people who did the opposite. Sure, I believe in God and heaven. But, that's not why I act the way I do. But, the Bible is a great blue-print on how I should act. :D

And, Godless One, I think I like you. You speak your mind, yet you're respectful about it. :D

Godless_One

Well, isn't that jumping the gun? I mean, there could be a god or gods that don't offer that, but still created existence.

I also understand the fact that there are things unable to be explained by science, but I'm not going to rush to a conclusion by throwing in an idea of God to suddenly make anything possible. There could be a completely scientific explanation to the creation of the universe, but there's no sure way of knowing, so I'm not going to attach myself to any theories yet.