Guns!

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Nearly 6 million Americans were toting loaded handguns on a daily basis in 2019, up from about 3 million just four years prior, according to estimates in a new study from researchers at the University of Washington and Harvard's TH Chan School of Public Health.
Barney Fife had to carry an empty revolver with one round in his chest pocket because he was so prone to negligent discharges. There are ways to safely carry, almost no matter what lol.

More than three times as many people in America watched a soccer match (dull) compared to wearing a gun every day.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I rarely carry. As a result I feel guilty. I feel like I'm being a bad citizen because I am being a bad citizen.
That depends on why you are not carrying. Some people are better off not for any number of reasons. That's not a value judgement or put-down it's a call for every individual to make an honest assessment of themselves and their situation. 🤔

Idolater

That depends on why you are not carrying. Some people are better off not for any number of reasons. That's not a value judgement or put-down it's a call for every individual to make an honest assessment of themselves and their situation. 🤔
It is definitely an additional duty that you voluntarily take upon yourself. You are responsible for all discharges. That's work; and that takes work. You have to be conscious of your weaponry every moment, even when you're asleep. When you're not on the same premises as all your weapons, what is their condition? You need to know that. You need to know what it takes for your weapon to discharge, every necessary condition. You're responsible, at all times, for those conditions.

It's why I prefer the 1911. I have an ambi safety which makes it convenient for checking and re-setting if necessary (whether you carry strong side or cross draw weak side, or cross draw strong side); you can always easily access the safety. The grip safety provides a back-up safety (which is already a back-up to the trigger), which means the 1911 has two back-ups against negligent discharge. If one back-up is disabled, the other back-up is very likely to still be enabled. And this is all apart from the trigger itself being the primary way to avoid negligent discharge----don't pull it! lol.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It is definitely an additional duty that you voluntarily take upon yourself. You are responsible for all discharges. That's work; and that takes work. You have to be conscious of your weaponry every moment, even when you're asleep. When you're not on the same premises as all your weapons, what is their condition? You need to know that. You need to know what it takes for your weapon to discharge, every necessary condition. You're responsible, at all times, for those conditions.

It's why I prefer the 1911. I have an ambi safety which makes it convenient for checking and re-setting if necessary (whether you carry strong side or cross draw weak side, or cross draw strong side); you can always easily access the safety. The grip safety provides a back-up safety (which is already a back-up to the trigger), which means the 1911 has two back-ups against negligent discharge. If one back-up is disabled, the other back-up is very likely to still be enabled. And this is all apart from the trigger itself being the primary way to avoid negligent discharge----don't pull it! lol.
You carry Condition 1?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I rarely carry. As a result I feel guilty. I feel like I'm being a bad citizen because I am being a bad citizen.
Why do you believe that its necessary to carry a firearm to be a good citizen?

Bearing arms is a right, not an obligation. George Washington himself didn't carry a firearm with him as a civilian.

The reason you don't carry very often is because you don't feel any need to do so and if most people felt the need to carry a firearm all the time, elections would turn out differently than they do.

Idolater

Why do you believe that its necessary to carry a firearm to be a good citizen?

Bearing arms is a right, not an obligation. George Washington himself didn't carry a firearm with him as a civilian.

The reason you don't carry very often is because you don't feel any need to do so and if most people felt the need to carry a firearm all the time, elections would turn out differently than they do.
There's nothing morally wrong with not carrying, for sure. There's also a lot of added self-imposed responsibility for you if you do. It's a very personal choice. The last thing anybody wants is to have a bad day because you did something wrong with your gun. There are a lot of factors that go into making a not-irresponsible decision when it comes to whether or not to carry /wear a gun in public.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
There's nothing morally wrong with not carrying, for sure. There's also a lot of added self-imposed responsibility for you if you do. It's a very personal choice. The last thing anybody wants is to have a bad day because you did something wrong with your gun. There are a lot of factors that go into making a not-irresponsible decision when it comes to whether or not to carry /wear a gun in public.
I sort of doubt that its even as much responsibility taken on by carrying a gun than there is by driving a car. Treating a gun as though its a holy relic or something is a great way to end up doing something stupid with it like getting it taken away and finding yourself shot with it by the bad guy. In other words, no one is going to get shot just because you happen to be carrying a gun, even if it's not the foremost thing on your mind, any more than people are going to get stabbed because I carry a knife in my pocket everywhere I go.

There are more people killed in the United States by preventable medical errors (200,000+) than by criminal gun violence (5100) and fully 25% of those criminal gun violence deaths occur in just four cities (2016 numbers). And so, unless you happen to live in a high crime area, there's really not much NEED for carrying a heavy, uncomfortable gun around with you everywhere you go.

And there really isn't that much to the decision to carry a gun. It's mostly about a simple personal preference. If one simply wants to do so or if they feel that they need the protection, then carry a gun. If not, then don't. Pretty straight forward. In short, the only people put in any danger at all by someone legally carrying a gun are criminals.

There are three things to avoid if you don't want to end up murdering someone or being murdered yourself.
1. Stay away from bars - all of them.
2. Do not get drunk or high - anywhere - ever.
3. Do not have sex with someone you're not married too - not even once.

If you simply do those three things, the likelihood of you even getting shot, never mind being involved in a murder (whether victim or perpetrator), drops to very nearly zero, whether you carry a gun with you or not. And, carrying a gun is a terrific way to prevent being murdered by a stranger, which pretty much takes your chances of being murdered the whole rest of the way to zero. This means that its really women who ought to consider carrying a gun as it is they who are usually the victims of violent stranger on stranger crimes.

Clete

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
😐 Do you really not understand the gist here? Or are you just being contrary.

Curmudgeonly actually...Yes, I appreciate the idea attempting to be expressed however the wording sticks in my craw in a time when "home invasion" is a house-hold word. You understand, I'm sure. ;)

Well doesn't everybody.
No...Lot's of people go where they want to. It's very rare I want to go anywhere. Some people won't go where they need to, for whatever reason, no matter how much they want to. It's a crazy mixed up world out there. 😟

Mas Ayoob approved tactic. Respect.
Haven't needed it yet...Hopefully it stays that way. 😐