Has Anyone Changed Their Mind?

Daniel1611

Just curious if an one here has ever actually changed their belief due to a discussion or debate on TOL.

Hedshaker

Just curious if an one here has ever actually changed their belief due to a discussion or debate on TOL.

In my time here I've seen two Christians de convert (to atheism) and one sceptic convert to Christianity, the latter has since disappeared without trace, how ever.

Whether this board had any influence on their decisions is any ones guess though

Danoh

I was about to, when I changed my mind, lol.

But, no.

The recurrent patterns I study all things through back to their governing principles - in life in general, as well as in Scripture, still holds.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

not too much for me. although my faith has increased from being here and i have learned very much. TOL has actually confirmed and bolstered my previous conceptions. MAD helps the most

glorydaz

Yep, I have. I used to quote the law from the gospels as something we were to keep. I didn't really notice all those "IF's". I didn't understand why "repent and be baptized" wasn't the same as the gospel Paul preached. I just tried, like so many here do, to make it say the same even when it wasn't the same. I thank the MAD folks for showing me that I was using the law "unlawfully", that the law was not made to justify, make us holy, or give us life. It's purpose is to lead us to Christ.

1 Timothy 1:7-9
Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,​

oatmeal

Changed? Yes, but not in doctrine so much as is how much people will hold onto their beliefs in spite of scriptural evidence to the contrary.

I have learned from posters who have have more background in some subjects or more specific knowledge on some subjects.

I have also learned more about how I can better conduct myself in the discussions here. No so much from others, but in reviewing scriptures that apply to human relationships

Daniel1611

The Bible, itself, is dispensational. So this should be a "strong hold."

But it isn't. In my regular life, I have known many Christians and attended a few different churches and never heard anyone preaching dispensationalism. Outside of a few denominations that have been promoting it since it was invented in the 1800's, it seems to exist heavily online and in theological books.

Ive read about the 7 dispensations and how people used to be saved by works, but it isn't in the Bible anywhere. I've talked about it for so long with so many dispensationalist, none of whom seem to agree and many if whom are deceptive about their doctrine, and I literally can't even stand so many threads going back to this topic.

glorydaz

But it isn't. In my regular life, I have known many Christians and attended a few different churches and never heard anyone preaching dispensationalism.

Actually, most churches do recognize dispensations. They certainly don't always call it such, but it's there. Unless you've been to churches that don't recognize the difference between law and grace or pre-flood, pre-cross, and when all things will be gathered together in Christ (for instance).

Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:​

As far as differences in doctrine, you'll find that in other areas besides dispensations. ie Calvinism, Arminianism, pentecostals, etc.

Daniel1611

Actually, most churches do recognize dispensations. They certainly don't always call it such, but it's there. Unless you've been to churches that don't recognize the difference between law and grace or pre-flood, pre-cross, and when all things will be gathered together in Christ (for instance).

Ephesians 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Ephesians 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:​

As far as differences in doctrine, you'll find that in other areas besides dispensations. ie Calvinism, Arminianism, pentecostals, etc.

These so-called dispensations are meaningless because anyone who has ever been saved since Adam was saved by faith alone. Period. That's what the Bible teaches.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yep, I have. I used to quote the law from the gospels as something we were to keep. I didn't really notice all those "IF's". I didn't understand why "repent and be baptized" wasn't the same as the gospel Paul preached. I just tried, like so many here do, to make it say the same even when it wasn't the same. I thank the MAD folks for showing me that I was using the law "unlawfully", that the law was not made to justify, make us holy, or give us life. It's purpose is to lead us to Christ.

I also believe this. But I am not MAD.

glorydaz

These so-called dispensations are meaningless because anyone who has ever been saved since Adam was saved by faith alone. Period. That's what the Bible teaches.

See, even you can be wrong. ;)

We are saved by grace through faith. Eph. 2:8

whitestone

in Deuteronomy 2 Esau and Lot were both in the lands where the lord had prepared for them. Lot,was not under the agreement with God to become circumcised,his tribe's dwelt in Ar. Esau's tribes dwelt in Sier,Esau's children were given the circumcision of the flesh in the manner afterwards of the seed of Abraham.

Now The descendents of Jacob then went into bondage in Egypt and served 400 years and were in their generation given again the blood painted above the door post and told to remember this throughout their generation's as they partook of it eating bitter herbs and spices.

Esau's tribe on the other hand while this was taking place dwelt in Petra in Sier,and whilst the Angel of death was in the midst of passing over the dwellings with the blood of the lamb above it,were not partakers of the passover. That is Esau if told to teach his children to remember the passover and explain to his offspring of the great deliverance from death of the firstborn son's of Esau will descend into the inevitable fact that the tribe of Esau never dwelt in Egypt and remembering that passover through out their generations would be to follow another houses agreement with the Lord.

So therein there are those of the tribe of Japeth and their tribe is under an agreement made after the flood,and also Ham's tribe up to and until the death on the cross and Resurrection of Jesus the Christ. Then at this time all mankind being resolved as dead,put to death and as if an clean slate,removing the old whether an agreement made before unto Japeth,or Esau or of any of the tribes dwelling upon the earth,an new dispensation of grace,unto all mankind dwelling and an new life and agreement of grace, the dead quickened by he who liveth in the midst of constant life.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Do you believe people were saved by works or faith plus works before Christ died on the cross physically?

Only the Jews were under the Law. The Gentiles were considered dogs.
The Jews had to "cover" their sins with animal blood sacrifice. However,
when Christ died on the cross, He cleansed their sins and the sins of
ALL mankind. In the Old Testament The Jews "animal sacrifice" was
temporal. Christ's sacrifice was eternal. The Kingdom Message, that
was shared by Peter to the Jews specifically, included faith and works.

Paul's message to the Gentiles was, faith alone without works.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
But it isn't. In my regular life, I have known many Christians and attended a few different churches and never heard anyone preaching dispensationalism. Outside of a few denominations that have been promoting it since it was invented in the 1800's, it seems to exist heavily online and in theological books.

Ive read about the 7 dispensations and how people used to be saved by works, but it isn't in the Bible anywhere. I've talked about it for so long with so many dispensationalist, none of whom seem to agree and many if whom are deceptive about their doctrine, and I literally can't even stand so many threads going back to this topic.

Have you read the Bible word for word, cover to cover?

achduke

Only the Jews were under the Law. The Gentiles were considered dogs.
The Jews had to "cover" their sins with animal blood sacrifice. However,
when Christ died on the cross, He cleansed their sins and the sins of
ALL mankind. In the Old Testament The Jews "animal sacrifice" was
temporal. Christ's sacrifice was eternal. The Kingdom Message, that
was shared by Peter to the Jews specifically, included faith and works.

Paul's message to the Gentiles was, faith alone without works.

What do you define as works?

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Prove yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you are disqualified.

Proving yourself certainly sounds like works. Also do no evil sounds like not sinning or following God's instructions.

2 Corinthians 13:7 Now I pray to God that you do no evil, not that we should appear approved, but that you should do what is honorable, though we may seem disqualified.