Has anyone heard of Saxon Homeschool

drbrumley

I am debating pulling my daughter from school and was looking at some resources. Can anyone tell me if they have used Saxon products and if so, what is your opinion on it!

Thank You.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I used to use Saxon math, DrB. It was all right for the lower grades, but my daughter got bored with it because it's so dry. We use Bob Jones now.

Last edited:

drbrumley

Originally posted by ebenz47037
I used to use Saxon math, DrB. It was all right for the lower grades, but my daughter got bored with it because it's so dry. We use Bob Jones now.

Thank You Nori for the info. I will check them out.

I'm sure I may have more questions for you later after i snoop around that site. Thank You again.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by drbrumley
Thank You Nori for the info. I will check them out.

I'm sure I may have more questions for you later after i snoop around that site. Thank You again.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

No problem. I gave you the link for the homeschooling catalog. But, as a homeschooler, you can also order from the Christian school catalog if you want. You just don't get the school discount. The main url is www.bjup.com.

drbrumley

Just a quick Question.

How can I determine the grade level of my child? Is there a good test that can show what math or reading levels my child is in?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just a quick Question.

How can I determine the grade level of my child? Is there a good test that can show what math or reading levels my child is in?

They have basic skills testing, if that's what you mean.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll call them. I have to anyway because I'm ordering my daughter's reading/literature curriculum.

lucybelle

TOL Princess
I used Saxon math- it's challanging but about as much fun as watching paint dry. I'd recommend it only if the teacher (eh hem) has tons of personality and really enjoys what they're doing.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
DrB,

I called them today and they said that the tests on that webpage are used as placement tests.

Em7add11

Official TOL band member
I used Saxon math all the way through high school. The ladies are correct in saying that it's dry, but it's very effective if you have someone who enjoys math. I'm one of those nerds and the book did a good job mixing new concepts with review on each lesson so I never got bored with what was being taught.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My 7th grader is using Bob Jones Math curriculum this year and he's doing really we really like it. He's doing really well with it.

rfburnhertz

Repent Leo, repent
Re: Has anyone heard of Saxon Homeschool

I am debating pulling my daughter from school and was looking at some resources. Can anyone tell me if they have used Saxon products and if so, what is your opinion on it!

Thank You.

In Christ,
DRBrumley

I think Saxon is math only.
I might be wrong.

We don't use it (well, we might. My wife (Zenya) would know since she be da teacher).

What grade is your daughter in?

I can post some links if you'd like.