HI

I was raised in Northville MI.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EQK7i1nHRg
http://www.ci.northville.mi.us/
I moved to Viroqua WI
http://viroqua-wisconsin.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmVuYnwjn0
I participated in the immediately above video! I love the one comment," dumb *****"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afRhzS5aQk&feature=PlayList&p=AB2546A60F1D852A&index=0
That shaft is a bad #^&*%# Shut your mouth!! but we are talking about Shaft! We can dig it!
The house I own is in Interlochen, MI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlochen,_Michigan
I worked at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtslFCbaDuU
It was within walking distance 15 minutes
I now live in North Carolina, but not for long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNP7I9jyvg
All the decent states keep kicking me out!:)

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was raised in Northville MI.
So you're a vegetable? :plain:

I moved to Viroqua WI
Well, who wouldn't?

I participated in the immediately above video! I love the one comment," dumb *****"!

That shaft is a bad #^&*%# Shut your mouth!! but we are talking about Shaft! We can dig it!
Two things. At this early point you should lay off the heavy use of links (and really later, except in support or in a thread where links are rather the point), but more importantly, even implied profanity is a rules violation. So you might want to rethink and edit this...

All the decent states keep kicking me out!:)
Best of luck, but do take a redact pen to the above. Humor is fine, even slightly ribald humor, but it has to be appropriately couched for the forum.

:e4e:

I told everyone that I would become a comedian and they all laughed. But they're not laughing now!:D
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes."
Ludwig Wittgenstein
They took a poll of academic philosophers and Witt was unanimously considered the most profound philosopher of the last 100 years.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/wittgenstein/

Last edited:
Our common sense understanding of how words "attach" to reality is that words refer to something in reality. Witt destroyed that safe illusion of reality.
--------
"Supposing I teach someone the use of the word "yellow" by repeatedly pointing to a yellow patch and pronouncing the word. On another occasion I make him apply what he has learnt by giving him the order, "choose a yellow ball out of this bag". What was it that happened when he obeyed my order? I say "possibly just this: he heard my words and took a yellow ball from the bag". Now you may be inclined to think that this couldn't possibly have been all; and the kind of the thing that you would suggest is that he imagined something yellow when he understood the order, and then chose a ball according to his image. To see that this is not necessary remember that I could have given him the order, "Imagine a yellow patch". Would you still be inclined to assume that he first imagines a yellow patch, just understanding my order, and then imagines a yellow patch to match the first? "
Wittgenstein
FROM
http://www.geocities.jp/mickindex/wittgenstein/witt_blue_en.html

nicholsmom

:wave:

TOL is a fairly large forum that gets plenty of new members all the time, so I don't think anyone here thinks that you are so important, new guy, that they will follow and watch or read any of those links - much less all of them. :wave:

" This thread is an introduction about myself. If you care to notice,..." [ in other words, its up to you if you want to get to know me]
ME POST 6

When did I say that I was so important? I thought the idea of "newbie central" was to talk about yourself. I find it ironic that in a forum devoted to theology so many people lack a basic understanding of how civilized people speak to each other. I guess being rude now is just part of the culture. However, I'm sure if my beliefs were similar to nicholsmom she would have no problem with me posting links. For example ,if I posted a video of the church I go to ( and that church is considered acceptable by nicholsmom) she would probably welcome it. What we cannot post links at TOL? Why then don't they just disable that ability?
Anyway, I'm not upset. I have learned that at TOL it is best to simply ignore rude and obnoxious behavior.
Its as if I join a church and am asked about myself so that people can get to know me. I take out photos of my wife and family and someone says," Wow! Someone is really full of themselves! He thinks anyone will be interested in looking at those photos.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When did I say that I was so important? I thought the idea of "newbie central" was to talk about yourself.
It is. It isn't Linkfest 2010, which you might recall I said something about earlier. People frequently come and go. Some stay, but a number are here for one limited purpose or another or because they're bored. Until you've established a wider identity, people aren't going to follow links to other places to learn about you. It would be a waste of time if you're just another flash in the pan and it demonstrates that you haven't bothered to read the rules of the forum or look about sufficiently to understand how this opening thread normally functions. That makes a statement about you. It's correctable, but you aren't helping your case so far.

This sort of thread is normally used for general statements of principle, an example of your writing style and substance on occasion, and/or an inviting hello, plus the chance of a running dialog with those interested enough at this early point in the proceedings. You're bound to be prodded a bit, to see how you stand up, if you have a sense of humor, etc. Leaving that profanity and ignoring advice on linking this early or that frequently doesn't make you look particularly interested in the nature and rules of the forum and invites a sharper examination...but don't say no one tried to offer assistance on either point.

I find it ironic that in a forum devoted to theology so many people lack a basic understanding of how civilized people speak to each other.
Like using implied profanity? :rolleyes: It's early though, and you can always amend this impression by participating widely and with humor or appreciable gravitas attached, not that they're always mutually exclusive.

I guess being rude now is just part of the culture. However, I'm sure if my beliefs were similar to nicholsmom she would have no problem with me posting links.
You don't know her. You're wrong and partly for the reasons I set out earlier and touched upon here. NM has a number of friends who disagree with her on fundamental outlooks and positions.

What we cannot post links at TOL? Why then don't they just disable that ability?
Answered by me here and prior, which begs the question...

Anyway, I'm not upset. I have learned that at TOL it is best to simply ignore rude and obnoxious behavior.
If you think that's what you've run into you won't likely last long here.

That #&%!* was a word in the song "shaft" that is unedited on ALL radio stations, even those for juveniles. If anything I was over sensitive and should not have edited it. I really think you should lighten up. Please tell me how many links we are allowed to make. Does the amount we are allowed increase as our time here increases? And by how much per time period. If you are telling me how many links people will click, how do you know? And besides what business is it of yours? That's like telling an author how many pages he should write because you know how many pages people will actually read. Or are you being kind and wanting to save me the effort? *That is VERY unlikely. Perhaps you will accuse me of being overly sensitive, but I think that anyone that reads your posts will call them unfriendly and unprovoked.

* The irony is that I have done the same at other forums ( posted videos, so that people can get a better feel of who I am and my environment) and have been universally complimented for it. It makes the posts more visual and therefore more interesting. You are the first one to start this type of arbitrary and absurd debate.

Last edited:
Anyway, enough of this silliness. Its boring. HI WizardofOz, I have been to Madison many times or as we like to call it "Mad Town" . Did you know that Otis Redding's plane crashed into Lake Monona?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That #&%!* was a word in the song "shaft" that is unedited on ALL radio stations, even those for juveniles. If anything I was over sensitive and should not have edited it. I really think you should lighten up.
See, this is making a statement about you as well. First, you don't familiarize yourself with the rules of engagement. Second, when someone points out an error your response is to decide, apparently, that they don't apply to you.

Good to know.

Please tell me how many links we are allowed to make. Does the amount we are allowed increase as our time here increases? And by how much per time period. If you are telling me how many links people will click, how do you know?
I was fairly clear about why multiple links are a bad idea early on. As for the rules...go read them.

And besides what business is it of yours?
It's a forum. You're posting something to be read by members makes it everyone's business. But feel free to self justify and expect everyone else to accommodate. :plain:

That's like telling an author how many pages he should write because you know how many pages people will actually read.
Well, overly long posts are also against the rules around here, as are large cut and paste jobs.

Or are you being kind and wanting to save me the effort? *That is VERY unlikely.
Ah, you're irrational then. Also good to know. You haven't been here long enough to know the people you're among and the VERY comment seems like more of the self justifying same. I don't predict this is going to be a VERY good fit for you.

Perhaps you will accuse me of being overly sensitive, but I think that anyone that reads your posts will call them unfriendly and unprovoked.
I don't think that's a fair assessment...at least not of the original post, which was meant for no other purpose than to give you a heads up you wouldn't have needed had you familiarized yourself with the forum first. It happens. Thereafter, when it became apparent your couldn't be bothered, I naturally enough became less concerned for you and more by you.

* The irony is that I have done the same at other forums ( posted videos, so that people can get a better feel of who I am and my environment) and have been universally complimented for it.
That's not ironic you know.

It makes the posts more visual and therefore more interesting.
Not the case here and for the reasons set out that you're free to ignore until a mod takes exception.

You are the first one to start this type of arbitrary and absurd debate.
Noting the standard practice (and rules of a forum) is neither an arbitrary response nor an invitation to debate.

:sigh: New kids.

Last edited:

nicholsmom

" This thread is an introduction about myself. If you care to notice,..." [ in other words, its up to you if you want to get to know me]
ME POST 6
Yes it is, and you should have done it without the links.

When did I say that I was so important?
I'm pretty sure that you didn't, but then I didn't claim that you did. Here's what I did claim (read it carefully - I'll put in bold the important bit)
:wave:

TOL is a fairly large forum that gets plenty of new members all the time, so I don't think anyone here thinks that you are so important, new guy, that they will follow and watch or read any of those links - much less all of them. :wave:

Consider again what all that means. It gives you a very good reason to go easy with the links until we get to know you. TH covered this as well, I see, telling you that lots of newbies are just flashes in the pan, so why should we waste our valuable time watching your links? He manages to say things in a much more civil way than most - he's a lawyer, so he covers all his weapons in velvet :D

I find it ironic that in a forum devoted to theology so many people lack a basic understanding of how civilized people speak to each other.
Do you mean that you expected us all to spend our time following all those links and not mention to you that it's poor netiquette to bombard us with so many? Even old timers don't post that many links - even when presenting loads of evidence, much less personal stuff.

I guess being rude now is just part of the culture.
Perhaps you haven't been properly trained in etiquette. In what circle is it all the rage to expect to walk in on a party where people are engaged in all manner of conversation and expect those you encounter to hang on your every word and look at all your videos and news clippings?

However, I'm sure if my beliefs were similar to nicholsmom she would have no problem with me posting links.
:rotfl: As TH said, you don't know me at all.

For example ,if I posted a video of the church I go to ( and that church is considered acceptable by nicholsmom) she would probably welcome it.
Wouldn't watch it. Unless your worship team is Skillet or RED or Third Day :tunes: Then I'd listen to the songs while reading elsewhere...

What we cannot post links at TOL? Why then don't they just disable that ability?
It's not disabled because it's allowed. I was only offering friendly advise to a newby: since there is a strong likelihood that you will be another flash in the pan, people aren't likely to follow those - so just post up what you think and leave out the links for the most part (they're great for citing your source when you provide a clip from something that expresses your view).

Anyway, I'm not upset.
:crackup:

I have learned that at TOL it is best to simply ignore rude and obnoxious behavior.
:crackup: So have you managed to ignore yourself then? :chuckle:

Its as if I join a church and am asked about myself so that people can get to know me. I take out photos of my wife and family and someone says," Wow! Someone is really full of themselves! He thinks anyone will be interested in looking at those photos.
How many photos do you need?

Here we are at Six Flags, and here is the living room when we redecorated; oh, and this one, :chuckle: isn't that funny the way the dog is chasing his tail? Here's another one from Six Flags; and well, that's just the paint drying in the living room - my wife thought that would be funny... :yawn:

So 8 photos would be way too much? And you would tell the person? I'm sorry but to me that is still rude. Also, why is there this hatred for links here ( at least in this thread)?
--------------
"Do you mean that you expected us all to spend our time following all those links"
nicholsmom
ME POST 6
"they're great for citing your source when you provide a clip from something that expresses your view)"
nicholsmon
Giving the site is giving the source and by the very fact that I posted it shows that I agree with it.
"he's a lawyer"
nicholsmom
Thanks for the warning. :)Lawyers can sometimes concentrate on the word of the law and not the spirit ( intent) of the law. Neither of which I believe I have violated.
Could we just drop this debate. I came here to learn about views about God that are different then mine. This conversation ( pardon my honesty) feels petty * to me.
Anyway, thanks for the friendly welcome.:(
PS; The irony is that a poster that I'm sure you respect ( he has similar views as yours) asked me ( thru private message) to go to "Newbie Central" and let people get to know me. He said that I should also explain my views because many were misunderstanding me( irony?). I never would have posted here, without his suggestion. Perhaps he should have told me not to go into much depth? The internet is different than a one on one conversation. If a thread bores someone they can simply not go there. I think it should be the individuals choice.
* One of my "crimes" was that I used the word "irony" in the wrong place. After I made that post I realized that "irony" did not convey my meaning exactly. I did not go back on line and change it because I thought that no one would jump on something so trivial.

Last edited:
"Well, overly long posts are also against the rules around here, ..."
Town Heretic
Please give me the post number of the post that was too long. I think you will find that it is far shorter than many TOL posts.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Well, overly long posts are also against the rules around here, ..."
Town Heretic
Please give me the post number of the post that was too long. I think you will find that it is far shorter than many TOL posts.

Good grief...that quote followed your:

That's like telling an author how many pages he should write because you know how many pages people will actually read.

It was a subtle dig at your not being apprised of/not having familiarized yourself with the rules...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Thanks for the warning. :)Lawyers can sometimes concentrate on the word of the law and not the spirit ( intent) of the law.
I'm a great believer in mitigation.

Neither of which I believe I have violated.
That's a bit of the problem. The spirit/point of the law is to prohibit profanity. You're wrong.

Tell you what, don't take my word for it and don't bother to read the rules governing conduct here. Go to Ask Knight. Set it out in a question. It's his forum. See what he says. Let that be your guide.

I came here to learn about views about God that are different then mine.
A great place for that.

This conversation ( pardon my honesty) feels petty * to me.
You should talk with LH. He's frequently "honest" with people about his feelings. You'll love him...until the two of you disagree, at which point he'll "honestly" call you a moron, idiot, etc.

You could have amended your comments with a "Thanks for the heads up. I should have read the rules or looked around before posting here. No harm intended."

You'd be amazed at how that sort of thing ends "debates" of this sort. Now leaving the phrases in play and beginning to lecture people who actually are aware of/have familiarized themselves, well, that's petty.

Anyway, thanks for the friendly welcome.:(
You had it and asked for the sort of secondary comments any guest would get telling you why his muddy feet on the coffee table aren't a problem.