How are you feeling about Pope Francis lately?

republicanchick

I read an article about the Pope's popularity. It's down across the board. His numbers were quite high a while back but he's made some people angry it seems. :eek:

He's not making liberals happy because he hasn't done all they hoped for concerning homosexuality and abortion.

He's not making conservatives happy because he's criticizing capitalism a bit too much and has taken up the concern about man-made global warming.

There was a quote in the article that said many Catholics care more about their political ties than their religion. Probably true. But I don't think that's applicable to only Catholics.

So, after a while longer with Pope Francis, how do you think he's doing? I think I actually like him more which would put me in the minority. :think:

I need to know more about him.

I didn't appreciate ONE bit that remark he made about how families shouldn't "breed like rabbits"

HELLLLOOOO~!

the Church is not in favor of artificial b control... (rcc is in favor of natural means of controlling birth, but Catholic teaching generally holds that if you can have many children you should)

so what gives w/that?

++

republicanchick

John Paul II and Benedict XVI were more doctrinally-oriented and intellectually-focused than Francis, and I'm just wired more that way, I suppose.

me too. My brother once got on my case b/c I chose the intellectual over the... whatever it was... aspect of faith... whatever the opposite of intellectual is...

But he is not the most intellectual person you'd meet so that is to be expected. He is FAR from dumb... just doesn't read newspapers from cover to cover like some people do... etc..

+++

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
The only thing I've liked about Pope Francis is his ability to bring back older ideologies, like Purgatory. (Yes, I'm one of the few Protestants who hold to Purgatory :)). Among other things, but he's hit the scrimmage line on a number of things he should be staying away from. Like issuing an idea that an atheist can be saved, which is utterly unorthodox.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
he's hit the scrimmage line on a number of things he should be staying away from. Like issuing an idea that an atheist can be saved, which is utterly unorthodox.

Here’s what Pope Francis really said about atheists:
The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.​
The Pope… simply reminded the faithful that there can be, and is, goodness, or natural virtue, outside the Church. And that Christ’s death on the Cross redeemed all men. He paid the price so that every man could come to God and be saved.

Source: http://www.catholicvote.org/what-pope-francis-really-said-about-atheists/

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I read an article about the Pope's popularity. It's down across the board. His numbers were quite high a while back but he's made some people angry it seems. :eek:

He's not making liberals happy because he hasn't done all they hoped for concerning homosexuality and abortion.

He's not making conservatives happy because he's criticizing capitalism a bit too much and has taken up the concern about man-made global warming.

There was a quote in the article that said many Catholics care more about their political ties than their religion. Probably true. But I don't think that's applicable to only Catholics.

So, after a while longer with Pope Francis, how do you think he's doing? I think I actually like him more which would put me in the minority. :think:
As long as he steers clear of Jesus, he should be okay.

I don't really think the church actually wants to remember Jesus (except in the case of "believing IN him as...etc.").

Folks are more comfortable in a "belief-oriented' faith rather than an "action-based" religion.

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned

Here’s what Pope Francis really said about atheists:
The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.​
The Pope… simply reminded the faithful that there can be, and is, goodness, or natural virtue, outside the Church. And that Christ’s death on the Cross redeemed all men. He paid the price so that every man could come to God and be saved.

Source: http://www.catholicvote.org/what-pope-francis-really-said-about-atheists/

God reassured that the unbelievers will serve as a contrast between us and them.

It sounds cold, and perhaps He will save some nonetheless- but Christianity proposes that much of all of mankind is adversarial to you.. God is the Christian's liberator.

Universalism, anyway, is a well known heresy which is completely unorthodox.

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
Pope is the highest boaster on this planet.

The only branch of Catholicism, even over the Eastern Orthodox, which worships itself :D

The idea that God would put that sort of power to a man is simply preposterous- not Moses or David had the supremacy that the Pope claims to have_

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
...according to the assumptions and opinions you've derived from your preferred recently-invented. man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. And yet, that's precisely what God chose to do (see this and this).

Think of the word 'reformation'. It is a resorting back to the original status and notions of Christianity before the Roman and Greek churches mucked it all up with their desire to control the laity of Christ.

Peter was a mighty apostle, and perhaps he had a succession for a while. But all I see from the 4th century on is coattailing off his eminence. To be sure, the Church has ran rampant with a war horse which Christ would never command.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The idea that God would put that sort of power to a man is simply preposterous- not Moses or David had the supremacy that the Pope claims to have_

And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

He was speaking to Peter, you see. Not somebody usurping his seat almost two thousand years later.

In other words, there's a reason why the King James Version translates 'Idoltress' into 'Whore'.
I need not say more_

Cruciform

Think of the word 'reformation'. It is a resorting back to the original status and notions of Christianity before the Roman and Greek churches mucked it all up with their desire to control the laity of Christ. Peter was a mighty apostle, and perhaps he had a succession for a while. But all I see from the 4th century on is coattailing off his eminence. To be sure, the Church has ran rampant with a war horse which Christ would never command.
Already answered (Post #34).

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
...according to the assumptions and opinions you've derived from your preferred recently-invented. man-made non-Catholic sect, anyway. And yet, that's precisely what God chose to do (see this and this).

I'm taking account to the post you've said answers my rebuke, and see nothing but a rehash of what I rebutted.

To be clear, the succession ended when the Dark Ages came into play, about 400AD. That is when the Catholic Church became completely asinine, even holding auction for the next pope, and probably because nobody wanted to take that insane burden.

The Church took on Demonology primarily to account for it's own evil within it's ranks. I mean, what more needs to be explained, seriously..
I'm not going to sit here and make something up that's unhistorical- the Church was in a sad state for a very long time, and then waged a vain war on the holy lands which did nothing but kill a lot of integral man, Christian and Muslim alike.

Cruciform

I'm taking account to the post you've said answers my rebuke, and see nothing but a rehash of what I rebutted.
Rebutted, but not refuted. Merely posting an alternative opinion in no way constitutes a disproof of the material to which you're responding. Post #34.

To be clear, the succession ended when the Dark Ages came into play, about 400AD.
Now go ahead and post your proof for this unsubstantiated assertion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+