How are you feeling about Pope Francis lately?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So, after a while longer with Pope Francis, how do you think he's doing? I think I actually like him more which would put me in the minority. :think:

One of the things I like about Pope Francis: He rides the bus.

Pope-Francis-on-the-bus-2.jpg

This photo was taken before he became pope, but he took the same austerity with him when he went to the Vatican.

He has compassion for the poor, the marginalized, the suffering.

I like his quote regarding

... "trickle-down theories" which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger - nothing ever comes out for the poor."

Stuu

"I wish to apologise to all women who were denied a varied and stimulating married life because of the Holy See's mindless insistence that they be locked into their reproductive cycle without contraception, and indeed to all of humanity for the contribution this dogma has made to poverty. I am very sorry for my inability to overcome the mindlessness of dogmas to recommend condoms for married couples where one is HIV positive. I acknowledge that while the Roman Catholic Church goes on and on about the sanctity of life, frankly it knows nothing at all about the value of life.

I'm sorry to the democratic peoples of countries throughout history whose Catholic leaders were tacitly threatened with excommunication if they didn't sign a Concordat with the Holy See that undemocratically diverted resources to our advantage.

When I asked who I was to judge gay people, I feel I didn't go far enough. What I perhaps should have said was that, if any two consenting adults wish to express their love in whatever way they choose, then only an unworthy god would disapprove - there is precious little love in the world as it is.

On the question of child abuse in the church, what I should have done was to open all archives and fire any official or priest who failed to report all suspected abuse to police or attempted in any way to dodge legally binding compensation judgements. That might at least have done something to stop the serial child rapists who have been moved from parish to parish.

There is much more misery that this church could own up to than I have time to apologise for today.

I will now be dissolving the Holy See and turning the 'Vatican' suburb of Rome over to the Italian people. For too long now we have used our UN status as a 'country' to hide our criminals and others' too. I will be ordering the bulldozing of the grotesquely opulent St Peters, and all the other structures around it except the Sistine Chapel, which will remain a monument to the brilliant gay man who painted it. The cleared grounds will be converted to an international childrens' park, dedicated to the children of all ages who have suffered under our fascism. No priests or brothers will be allowed on the site.

I am now leaving this creaking monster of a church and hope to live up to my humanitarian ideals, but will do so without the inhumane dogmas, the silly hat and the shoes from the Wizard of Oz.
"

- Jorge Bergoglio (the former pope 'Francis'), speaking on a bus to reporters, Calcutta, 2017.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

This photo was taken before he became pope, but he took the same austerity with him when he went to the Vatican.

... "trickle-down theories" which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger - nothing ever comes out for the poor."

all he has to do is explain why his people are coming to our country
and
where the vatican is getting all their money

kmoney

Hall of Fame
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

What do you think that means?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

That's one of the things I like about him as well. Catholicism's use of wealth is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way at times so it's nice to see someone take a different route. Perhaps he could work on making the Vatican more austere. ;)

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I wonder if his view of things is partially shaped by being from Argentina where he may have had a closer view of some of the things that were done with/in South American economies during the 1970s.

HisServant

I'm getting more an more irritated as to how Mayor Nutter is shutting down large sections of the city to cater to his visit. I live and work in the burbs.. but along the SEPTA regional rail lines. Lansdale and other towns are going to have huge parking issues.

I should opened a tow truck business... I bet I could make quite a few bucks over those two days.