How Often Need Catholics Take Communion?

WeberHome

-
Transubstantiation is a process wherein the elements of communion (a.k.a. species) are transformed into Christ's body and blood; which, if true, is a tremendous advantage for Catholics. Here's why.

John 6:53-54 . . Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life

If transubstantiation is true, then Catholics need to ingest the elements but once and they never need to ingest them again seeing as how eternal life is impervious to death. Were that not so it would be possible to assassinate God; viz: eternal life never wears out, nor wears off, nor spoils, not gets old and dies.

Q: When would Catholics obtain eternal life from the elements?

A: Right away. The grammatical tense of "has" is present tense.

NOTE: Jesus compared himself to manna; which was a curious nourishment that God provided His people during their forty years in the Sinai outback. Manna didn't give them eternal life-- in point of fact manna didn't even five them immortality; it just gave them daily sustenance.

Manna was dated; but not eternal life; no, eternal life is just as fresh now as it was a billion years ago because eternal life isn't an organic commodity; rather, it's power.

Well; if transubstantiation is true; then it isn't necessary to dine upon Christ on a daily basis, nor a weekly basis, nor even an annual basis because eternal life can't be used up; no, eternal life is endless.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Bradley D

Communion for me a non-Catholic is the remembrance of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Something one needs to always remember.

"…and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, 'This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.' In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.' For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes" (1 Cor. 11:24-26).

I do not believe in "transubstantiation." Christ died on the cross once and spilled His blood only once.

WeberHome

Agreed, then why aren't catholics OCAC?
Once communized, always communized.

Rome is somehow under the impression that John 6:48-58 and 1Cor 11:23-25 are teaching the same thing; but there is a world of difference between the two teachings.

For example: the Viet Nam War Memorial in Washington DC isn't set up as a food court where visitors come and dine upon the bodies and blood of the servicemen and women whose names are on the wall. No, the memorial is set up for remembering the people whose names are on the wall; lest we forget.

1Cor 11:23-25 . . For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

Note that, unlike John 6:48-58, the above passage doesn't say "do this in order to obtain eternal life". Not even! No, it's a memorial service; and the intent is to prevent Christ's crucifixion from becoming marginalized; and thus out of mind.

1Cor 11:26 . . For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

Q: But what about 1Cor 11:29? Doesn't that teach real presence?

A: No; it teaches that when people regard the Lord's supper as merely food on the table; they devalue the importance of his death; which is a pretty serious sin.

1Cor 11:30 . . That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

Apparently the Corinthian Christians set the Lord's supper up as sort of a potluck and/or an all you can eat buffet where people helped themselves instead of being served by altar boys. Well; that would have been okay except that it led to excess and poor manners.

1Cor 11:20-23 . .When you meet together, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper, for in your eating each one takes his own supper first; and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God, and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you.

1Cor 11:33-34 . . So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for each other. If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
As soon as you run out of these, or "Mr. Cookie Bars?":

Nilla-Wafers-Box-Small.jpg

Last edited:

Nanja

Communion for me a non-Catholic is the remembrance of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Something one needs to always remember.

"…and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, 'This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.' In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.' For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes" (1 Cor. 11:24-26).

I do not believe in "transubstantiation." Christ died on the cross once and spilled His blood only once.

For whom did Christ shed His Blood for?

~~~~~

Nanja

Everyone. However not all will accept His sacrifice.

False.

Christ died for only His Sheep John 10:11, 15, those Elected in Him before the foundation of the world Eph. 1:4-5. It's only these who have the benefit from the death of Christ before believing, even while they were enemies in the flesh Rom. 5:10.

But all the others while being enemies in the flesh, were not reconciled to God, but instead were always under His Wrath and condemnation John 3:18, 36. So you see, they have no benefit from Christ's death like those who were reconciled did.

~~~~~

WeberHome

-
Does Rom 8:13 prove that it's possible for people to lose eternal life? "For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

No; because eternal life is impervious to death; not even God can kill it.

Also; according to Rom 6:23 eternal life is a gift; which according to Rom 11:29 is exempt from recall.

The eighth chapter of Romans is not for the eyes and ears of your average John Q and Jane Doe pew warmer. It's specifically for people who have immunity from prosecution from everything they've done in the past that's hell-worthy, everything they're doing in the present that's hell-worthy, and everything they'll do in the future that's hell-worthy.

Rom 8:1-2 . . Hence, now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has freed you from the law of sin and death.

Christ said as much:

John 5:34 . . Amen, amen, I say to you: Whoever hears my word, and believes in the one who sent me, has eternal life and will not come to condemnation, but has passed from death to life.

I was baptized an infant into the Roman church and underwent the process of First Holy Communion and Confirmation. Catechism teachers drilled it into my impressionable young head that one's behavior is crucial to their safety from the wrath of God. Imagine my relief to discover that Christ's crucifixion circumvents those teachers and provides a means of escaping the wrath of God that depends solely upon Christ's behavior instead of mine.

Rom 5:18-19 . . Just as through one transgression condemnation came upon all, so through one righteous act acquittal and life came to all. For just as through the disobedience of one person the many were made sinners, so through the obedience of one the many will be made righteous.

The angel's announcement makes better sense when it's viewed through the lenses of that passage in Romans.

Luke 2:4 . . Now there were shepherds in that region living in the fields and keeping the night watch over their flock. The angel of the Lord appeared to them and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were struck with great fear. The angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.

Catechism's news was not good: it gave me no cause for great joy; it only gave me a disturbing anticipation of going head to head with the wrath of God; whereas Christ's obedience gave me total freedom from any and all anticipation other than great joy.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

WeberHome

Rom 5:18-19 . . Just as through one transgression condemnation came upon all, so through one righteous act acquittal and life came to all. For just as through the disobedience of one person the many were made sinners, so through the obedience of one the many will be made righteous.

In other words: Adam's imperfection made his progeny imperfect. In contrast, Christ's perfection makes his progeny perfect.

Christ has progeny? Yes; in point of fact, Jesus' progeny was predicted something like 700 years before he was born.

Isa 53:10 . . If he gives his life as an offering for sin, he shall see his descendants in a long life

So the question is: What's the secret? How do people go about switching over from Adam's progeny to Christ's?

Well; according to Jesus' discussion with Nicodemus in the third chapter of John; here's where the process begins:

John 3:14-17 . . As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; that whoever believes may in him have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

The incident to which Christ referred is located at Num 21:5-9. Long story short: Yhvh's people became weary of eating manna all the time at every meal. But instead of courteously, and diplomatically, petitioning their divine benefactor for a different diet, they became hostile and confrontational; angrily demanding better accommodations.

In response to their insolence, and their ingratitude for His providence; Yhvh sent a swarm of deadly poisonous vipers among them; which began striking people; and every strike was 100% fatal, no exceptions.

After a number of people died, the rest came to their senses and begged Moses to intercede. In reply; The Lord instructed Moses to fashion an image of the vipers and hoist it up on a pole in plain view so that everyone dying from venom could look to the image for relief.

The key issue here is that the image was the only God-given remedy for the people's bites-- not sacrifices and offerings, not tithing, not church attendance, not scapulars, not confession, not holy days of obligation, not the Sabbath, not the golden rule, not charity, not Bible study and/or Sunday school, not self denial, not vows of poverty, not the Ten Commandments, not one's religion of choice, no; not even prayers. The image was it; nothing else would suffice to save their lives.

In other words then: Christ's crucifixion is the only God-given rescue from the wrath of God; and when people accept it, then according to John 3:14-17 and John 5:24, they qualify for a transfer from death into life. Those who reject his crucifixion as the only God-given rescue from the wrath of God are already on the docket to face it.

John 3:18 . .Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

His son's "name" in this case is relative to the fiery serpent incident.

FYI: Christ's progeny are not only perfect in principle, but also in practice.

1John 3:9 . . No one who is begotten by God commits sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot sin because he is begotten by God.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Eagles Wings

@ Weber Home:

Your thoughts on this subject are interesting. As a former Roman Catholic, I recall more teaching about the need for weekly Communion due to the sanctifying graces found there. We know that Communion is now offered on a daily basis in most RC churches. Perhaps we will witness the RCC offering Communion on an hourly basis, and this would be the continual treadmill of works that is spiritually exhausting.

God's Truth

-
Transubstantiation is a process wherein the elements of communion (a.k.a. species) are transformed into Christ's body and blood; which, if true, is a tremendous advantage for Catholics. Here's why.

John 6:53-54 . . Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life

If transubstantiation is true, then Catholics need to ingest the elements but once and they never need to ingest them again seeing as how eternal life is impervious to death. Were that not so it would be possible to assassinate God; viz: eternal life never wears out, nor wears off, nor spoils, not gets old and dies.

Q: When would Catholics obtain eternal life from the elements?

A: Right away. The grammatical tense of "has" is present tense.

NOTE: Jesus compared himself to manna; which was a curious nourishment that God provided His people during their forty years in the Sinai outback. Manna didn't give them eternal life-- in point of fact manna didn't even five them immortality; it just gave them daily sustenance.

Manna was dated; but not eternal life; no, eternal life is just as fresh now as it was a billion years ago because eternal life isn't an organic commodity; rather, it's power.

Well; if transubstantiation is true; then it isn't necessary to dine upon Christ on a daily basis, nor a weekly basis, nor even an annual basis because eternal life can't be used up; no, eternal life is endless.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

How do you think we eat of the flesh of Jesus?

WeberHome

How do you think we eat of the flesh of Jesus?

Well; one thing we can be very sure of is that Christ wasn't literal. The reason being that right after the Flood, God forbad humanity to eat living flesh and blood (Gen 9:3-4). So if people are determined to eat Christ's flesh and blood, either literally or transubstantiated, they are going to have to first make sure it's quite dead; which of course is impossible seeing as how Christ rose from the dead with immortality. (Rom 6:9)

Also; the night of Christ's last supper, he and all the men present with him were Jews. Well; seeing as how according to Heb 9:16-17, the new covenant wasn't ratified until Christ died, then he and his men were still under the jurisdiction of the covenant that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God in the Old Testament as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

The covenant forbids Jews to eat any manner of blood (Lev 7:26-27). So if Christ had led those men into eating his blood that night, he would have led them into a curse (Deut 27:26) and thus relegated himself to the position of the least in the kingdom of God. (Matt 26:26-28)

Therefore, we can, and we should, rule out transubstantiation (a.k.a. real presence) as a valid explanation of John 6:32-58.

What then is the correct way to go about it?

Well; Jesus informed his remaining followers that the words he spoke about eating his flesh and blood are spirit words (John 6:63). Not that people can't read and/or hear spirit words spoken in their native tongue; but in order to understand what spirit words are saying, people need some way to decode them.

No doubt Rome claims it has the ability to decode spirit words; but if John Q and Jane Doe pew warmer don't have the ability, then they're forced to take Rome's word for it.

Speaking for myself: I don't have the ability to decode spirit words, nor do I have access to an Enigma machine set up to decode them. I think I know what Jesus' spirit words are saying; but in reality, my thoughts are only a theory; so in sharing my thoughts, I'd just be muddying the waters.

FYI: Christians are instructed to avoid eating blood. (Acts 15:20, Acts 15:29, and Acts 21:25)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

SaulToPaul 2

@ Weber Home:

Your thoughts on this subject are interesting. As a former Roman Catholic, I recall more teaching about the need for weekly Communion due to the sanctifying graces found there. We know that Communion is now offered on a daily basis in most RC churches. Perhaps we will witness the RCC offering Communion on an hourly basis, and this would be the continual treadmill of works that is spiritually exhausting.

Indeed, and keeps the members in bondage to them for their very eternal life.