ECT Is being sealed by the Holy Spirit a conditional security?

Cross Reference

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage". Galatians 5:1 (KJV)

What was the fear that motivated Paul to warn the Galatians of such a danger? And would this not be an exercise of man's free will should he choose to return to his "vomit"? (Ps 26:11 KJV)

oatmeal

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage". Galatians 5:1 (KJV)

What was the fear that motivated Paul to warn the Galatians of such a danger? And would this not be an exercise of man's free will should he choose to return to his "vomit"? (Ps 26:11 KJV)

Truth sets a man free, John 8:32, but some people prefer bondage over freedom?

In Galatians the yoke of bondage was the law. Why put yourself back under the law when the yoke of the law was removed?

Would you exercise your free will to return to your own vomit to eat it?

Why would you do that? What kind of sheer stupidity would drive any man to do that? Hunger? Maybe, but not for truth. Truth abounds, God's word is truth.

Why return to a lifestyle of sin, when you are dead to sin? Romans 6

DAN P

Hi and there were many fears :

#1 , To fall from Grace
#2 , Try to be justified by the Law
#3 , Lose rewards
#4 , Cause others to fall
#5 , Going back to touch not , taste not
#6 Worshipping of Angels
#7 , Vainly PUFFED up your fleshly mind
#8, Not holding the Integrity of the Body of Christ
Col 2:16-19
dan p

heir

TOL Subscriber
Is being sealed by the Holy Spirit a conditional security?
No way!

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can God forget you?

God will not forget anyone--

Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
Heb 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
Heb 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
Heb 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.
Heb 12:18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
Heb 12:19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
Heb 12:20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
Heb 12:21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
Heb 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Persons who receive the Holy Spirit are thereafter sealed when their life becomes pleasing to God in the putting off of the works of their flesh.----

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Many claim to be sealed upon believing a gospel doctrine alone and then claim they were sealed, yet it is obvious by their behavior that they are not sealed.

The promises of Eph only apply to those who have been washed by the word from their former sinning way of thinking, speaking and living.

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

LA

Cross Reference

Persons who receive the Holy Spirit are thereafter sealed when their life becomes pleasing to God in the putting off of the works of their flesh.----

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Many claim to be sealed upon believing a gospel doctrine alone and then claim they were sealed, yet it is obvious by their behavior that they are not sealed.

The promises of Eph only apply to those who have been washed by the word from their former sinning way of thinking, speaking and living.

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

LA

The sealing is one's Spiritual engagement ring. The engagement ring is one's personal pentecost. "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left." Isaiah 30:21 (KJV)

MaxGrit

There is no such thing as man's free will when it comes to God's election, predestination, salvation, and sanctification of the saints.

Gal 5 is an exhortation to the saints, who are saved by God's will alone, to remind them the difference between them and the deluded free willers (law doers), who want their free will choice to be the reason that they're saved (v. people who aren't saved). The free willers are severed from Christ since they want to be justified by their free will works.

See bolded.

Romans 8 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Galatians 5 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

Cross Reference

There is no such thing as man's free will when it comes to God's election, predestination, salvation, and sanctification of the saints.

Gal 5 is an exhortation to the saints, who are saved by God's will alone, to remind them the difference between them and the deluded free willers (law doers), who want their free will choice to be the reason that they're saved (v. people who aren't saved). The free willers are severed from Christ since they want to be justified by their free will works.

See bolded.

Romans 8 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Galatians 5 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

Sez Calvin. What's new? You have a freewill, what do you say?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
He was warning them not to keep any part of the old testament that Jesus hasn't brought over to the new testament. Or they could fall from grace. If a person keeps just one thing that is in the old testament he is subject to the whole entire old testament laws.

Gal 5:1-4

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
(NKJ)

Cross Reference

Don't beg the question. I answered according to what the Scriptures teaches.

You answered according to Calvin. I wasn't born in a vacuum that I can't make the distinction between his teaching and the scriptures. All you have presented to be accepted is, his opinion..
I am sure you will find many here who will agree with you. I don't agree, based upon my understanding of the scriptures with little, if any, opinion factored in.

andyc

There are various verses explaining that salvation is conditional on faith, and that to abandon faith means to fall into apostasy.

It's quite simple. A believer can never lose their salvation. And so the objective is remain a believer.

Romans 11:20-22
20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

1 Corinthians 15:2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you——unless you believed in vain.

Hebrews 3:14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end

2 Timothy 2:12 If we endure, We shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us.

Hebrews 6:4-6
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Hebrews 10:29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

2 Peter 2:20-22 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.
Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

Galatians 4:11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

1 Thessalonians 3:5 For this reason, when I could no longer endure it, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter had tempted you, and our labor might be in vain.

Hebrews 3:6 but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.

Colossians 1:21-23 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Ardima

Don't beg the question. I answered according to what the Scriptures teaches.

Just shake the dust off of your feet and move on. You can show him the truth til you are blue in the face and he will still not accept it because he trusts only in his own understanding. Many here on TOL have tried to correct him and he refuses instruction.