Is death just another life?

Derf

It does apply to everyone taught by the prophets after the flood...who is in a grave-prison.
That's easy enough to say, and it seems true to me,
but you don't get that from the 1 Peter 3:19 passage, where a specific group is addressed, including only those from before the flood, not after.

Why would the Spirit of Jesus teach fallen angels ?
Who said anything about teaching them. The word is "preach", or "proclaim", like a herald would do.
They have no hope of a resurrection at the return of Christ.
Does that mean God never talks to them, or tells them truths?
For that matter, nobody has any chance of suddenly "getting right" with God after their death.
The parable of Lazarus and the rich man taught us that.
Yes. But it's interesting that the rich man never even asked to get out of there.

Hoping

Banned
That's easy enough to say, and it seems true to me,
but you don't get that from the 1 Peter 3:19 passage, where a specific group is addressed, including only those from before the flood, not after.
I feel that specific group was mentioned only so that Peter could segue to water baptism.
Who said anything about teaching them. The word is "preach", or "proclaim", like a herald would do.
Rather than get hung up on one definition of a word, explore the possibility of preaching being teaching.
"By the Spirit" Jesus taught the OT prophets of His suffering and death while the prophets prophesied/lived. (1 Peter 1:10-11)
"By the same Spirit", Jesus was quickened from the dead. (1 Peter 3:18)
Does that mean God never talks to them, or tells them truths?
Why toss pearls to swine ?
Jesus commanded us not to, so I would not think He would do so.
Yes. But it's interesting that the rich man never even asked to get out of there.
All men know Jesus' judgements are just.

Derf

I feel that specific group was mentioned only so that Peter could segue to water baptism.
I can see that as a possibility. But the argue weakens with the final verse in the chapter, where the focus returns to actual spirits.
1 Peter 3:22 KJV — Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Rather than get hung up on one definition of a word, explore the possibility of preaching being teaching.
"By the Spirit" Jesus taught the OT prophets of His suffering and death while the prophets prophesied/lived. (1 Peter 1:10-11)
"By the same Spirit", Jesus was quickened from the dead. (1 Peter 3:18)

Why toss pearls to swine ?
Jesus commanded us not to, so I would not think He would do so.
Again, they were made subject to Him. Somebody ought to tell them.
All men know Jesus' judgements are just.
All men will know. They don't seem to know right now.

Last edited:

Hoping

Banned
I can see that as a possibility. But the argue weakens with the final verse in the chapter, where the focus returns to actual spirits.
1 Peter 3:22 KJV — Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.
I don't know about that, as the "Who is gone into heaven..." is Jesus.
Again, they were made subject to Him. Somebody light to tell them
Kinda' lost me in that one...
All men will know. They don't seem to know right now.
I think they know, but just refuse the Government.

Derf

I don't know about that, as the "Who is gone into heaven..." is Jesus.
Right, where the spirits (angels, authorities, powers) are now subject to Him.
Kinda' lost me in that one...
Yeah, me too, until I figured out spell check sabotaged me. Meant to say, "Somebody ought to tell them." Iow, how do those spirits (angels, authorities, and powers) know that they are now subject to Christ if no one tells them?
I think they know, but just refuse the Government.
Yes, you are correct!

way 2 go

"In other words, heterodox thinkers are an essential and necessary part of the scientific process. They serve as a check on consensus thinking, forcing the consensus to justify and prove their preferred hypothesis and not just sit around in an echo chamber of contented mutual agreement."

Heterodoxy refers to opinions or doctrines that differ from the official position of the church, but are not necessarily heretical or wrong.2 Heterodoxy in the Roman Catholic Church refers to views that differ from strictly orthodox views, but retain sufficient faithfulness to the original doctrine to avoid heresy. Many Roman Catholics profess some heterodox views, either on doctrinal or social issues.1 Heterodoxy is a collective term for opinions or doctrines that vary from orthodoxy, i.e., the official position.2 People who consciously deviate from orthodoxy by professing a doctrine considered to be false are most often called heretics

Derf

"In other words, heterodox thinkers are an essential and necessary part of the scientific process. They serve as a check on consensus thinking, forcing the consensus to justify and prove their preferred hypothesis and not just sit around in an echo chamber of contented mutual agreement."

Heterodoxy refers to opinions or doctrines that differ from the official position of the church, but are not necessarily heretical or wrong.2 Heterodoxy in the Roman Catholic Church refers to views that differ from strictly orthodox views, but retain sufficient faithfulness to the original doctrine to avoid heresy. Many Roman Catholics profess some heterodox views, either on doctrinal or social issues.1 Heterodoxy is a collective term for opinions or doctrines that vary from orthodoxy, i.e., the official position.2 People who consciously deviate from orthodoxy by professing a doctrine considered to be false are most often called heretics
What's your point (in this thread, that is)?

Hoping

Banned
Right, where the spirits (angels, authorities, powers) are now subject to Him.
I don't think they were ever not subject to Jesus.
How many devils did Jesus cast out ?
Yeah, me too, until I figured out spell check sabotaged me. Meant to say, "Somebody ought to tell them." Iow, how do those spirits (angels, authorities, and powers) know that they are now subject to Christ if no one tells them?
The King doesn't need business cards.
Yes, you are correct!

Derf

I don't think they were ever not subject to Jesus.
Then you seem to be getting your information from a different source than the passage we're talking about. Remember this is the last verse we duscussed:
1 Peter 3:22 KJV — Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers BEING MADE subject unto him..

Hoping

Banned
Then you seem to be getting your information from a different source than the passage we're talking about. Remember this is the last verse we discussed:
1 Peter 3:22 KJV — Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers BEING MADE subject unto him..
What was not subject to Jesus before His resurrection?
Demons ?
Evil spirits ?
Angels ?
Diseases ?
Life ?
Are you reading "BEING MADE" subject unto Him...as... now "finally, slowly, one-at-a-time, being made subject unto Him" ?

Derf

What was not subject to Jesus before His resurrection?
Demons ?
Evil spirits ?
Angels ?
Diseases ?
Life ?
Are you reading "BEING MADE" subject unto Him...as... now "finally, slowly, one-at-a-time, being made subject unto Him" ?
No, and I understand what you are saying, but there was some event, it seems to indicate, that changed the relationship in some way. I would suggest it was His resurrection, but it might be His ascension. Maybe a combo of the two.

Hoping

Banned
No, and I understand what you are saying, but there was some event, it seems to indicate, that changed the relationship in some way. I would suggest it was His resurrection, but it might be His ascension. Maybe a combo of the two.
Perhaps, while on earth, He had to get God's permission, or power, or cooperation, to do the miracles He did.
Now, instead of God working through Him, Jesus can do it Himself....or something.

Derf

Perhaps, while on earth, He had to get God's permission, or power, or cooperation, to do the miracles He did.
Now, instead of God working through Him, Jesus can do it Himself....or something.
That sounds right to me. Jesus was given all power and authority, but not at first.
Matthew 28:18 KJV — And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Hoping

Banned
That sounds right to me. Jesus was given all power and authority, but not at first.
Matthew 28:18 KJV — And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
I wonder, had the apostles asked Jesus in Matt 28, if Jesus could have told them "when was the end?"
Previously that info' was available only to God.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I wonder, had the apostles asked Jesus in Matt 28, if Jesus could have told them "when was the end?"
Previously that info' was available only to God.
Jesus is God!

Implying that Jesus was/is anything other than THE Creator God in the flesh is blasphemy. Outright denial of it is not only blasphemy but a rejection of the Gospel itself.
John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.​
John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.​

John 8:24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”​
Revelation 1:17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.​

You two both should watch what you say more carefully.

Although, that would require careful thinking to happen first so you're pretty much out on that score, Hoping. Derf has less of an excuse.

Hoping

Banned
Jesus is God!

Implying that Jesus was/is anything other than THE Creator God in the flesh is blasphemy. Outright denial of it is not only blasphemy but a rejection of the Gospel itself.
John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.​
John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.​

John 8:24 Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”​
Revelation 1:17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.​

You two both should watch what you say more carefully.

Although, that would require careful thinking to happen first so you're pretty much out on that score, Hoping. Derf has less of an excuse.
Jesus was the Word made flesh.
Not the Father made flesh.
When the Word did exist, the Word was God, but when He took on flesh, He lost much of what He previously had...including all knowledge of future events...like the date of the end of the world, and who will sit at His right and left hands.

Jesus will eventually be one with God again, as it is written..."For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all." (1 Cor 15:27-28)