ECT Is the Mega-Non Denomination Church Good or Bad for Christians

Having grown up in a megachurch, the issue was not the size of the church, but what they were willing to compromise for the sake of numbers. The focus was so much on quantitative growth that the qualitative focus seemed to be thrown out the window.

I result of this was an overall misunderstanding or neglect of repentance. Their version of repentance was "praying the prayer" and asking Jesus to come in to your life. Obviously, there is nothing inherently wrong with that prayer, but if there is no repentance or addressing turning from sin and recognizing that Jesus "was made sin who knew no sin," then the gospel really isn't being preached.

Having said all that, it obviously depends on the church. Although I have recognized that the entire "mega church movement" values numbers over sound doctrine. That's a problem...and that's what leads to things like "The Purpose Driven Movement," which is just the epitome of a watered down gospel that simply repurposes the old man...put's new wine in the old wine skin. What are some of your experiences?
I didn't grow up in a mega-church, but became a Christian in one after the age of 30. Grace World Outreach Center (now Grace Church) was your basic "name it and claim it" church. Tithes, Offerings, Church Growth (numbers), etc, were preached consistently. Now why would God give you something that makes it more difficult, or near impossible to obtain salvation and Heaven, by that I mean riches? That's according to Jesus' own words. Jesus and the Holy Spirit were tools to use to get what you wanted. The church referred to itself as a full Gospel church but it really wasn't. As I grew in the Lord through Bible reading and studying, I began to see how the congregation was being manipulated.

oatmeal

Is it bad? as in evil? probably not. but is it the best? is it what God instructs in scripture? a review of scripture in the book of Acts and in the epistles reveals that people were meeting in homes.

They may have met or first heard Paul and Barnabas or others in synagogues, but those that continued in the word ended up meeting in homes for the most part.

We do not see the apostle Paul or anyone else collecting money to build buildings.

Offerings were made to further the gospel, not to build things.

Homes made the most sense. In Philippi, for instance, Lydia believed, that was it for a time, of course, her household probably believed also, but why build something when homes were already there and ready to go?

The jailer believed, Paul and Silas spoke to all those in his house, who may have believed, but why build something for say a man and his family when they already have their home for a meeting place?

If a person does not want to be noticed or would rather be neglected, a mega church is a great place to go, but if a person wants to be a part of something and make a difference a home fellowship is the only way to go, except of course, for an occasional larger meeting.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
stop worrying about who is saved
and
start worrying about
if
you will be saved

your salvation will depend on what you do
the salvation of others, thank God, will not depend on you

Salvation does not depend on man so he can't boast about it.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
so why can you say you are saved
and
I cannot?

Cause you keep hearing from TOL that faith is not subject to science, because it is supernatural, and yet you have cooked up reams and reams of these explanations for the unexplainable.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is the mega-non denomination church a good or bad thing for Christians? I ask this question not really sure of the answer. It can be great entertainment leading into worship, and for some, this is how they get close to God thru the working of the Holy Spirit. But as the mega churches get bigger, you are further removed from the pastor. There then becomes a need for associate pastors for just about everything. There's worship pastors, nursery pastors, media pastors, etc. Is this good for the average Christian with problems?
If you are talking about Churches of Christ, Disciples of Christ. Yes it is still a denomination and I believe a poor choice for a church. Once saved never saved. I did test drive that denomination and left it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Cause you keep hearing from TOL that faith is not subject to science, because it is supernatural, and yet you have cooked up reams and reams of these explanations for the unexplainable.

isn't that boasting
if
you say you are saved?

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
isn't that boasting
if
you say you are saved?

My examples show me I'm saved but I still reconize God's power not to chose me and I've only fooled myself. That recognition is boastless. All calvinists knows not to ask Mary for salvation. The Catholics believe that Mary was Immaculately Conceived and that she lived a sinless life (impeccability). They also believe that when they pray to her that she will (can) intercede on their behalf. Other Christian faiths don't give her any superhuman characteristics and believe that only Jesus lived a sinless life.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
why do you have to let us know?

no one could accuse you of boasting
if
you kept it to yourself

Proclaiming the Gospel about my experience with Jesus is good but, like you, convincing how to work for salvation is very, very, very bad

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I learned it but I'm not into answering you today. I've been busy. In other words I don't have that much time to babysit you

why do you take the time to tell us we are teaching a false gospel
when
you don't have time to tell us why?

If you are talking about Churches of Christ, Disciples of Christ. Yes it is still a denomination and I believe a poor choice for a church. Once saved never saved. I did test drive that denomination and left it.
No. I wasn't talking about Churches of Christ or Disciples of Christ denominations.

OSAS is a deceptive belief that can give false assurance leading to a worldly, un-Christian life. I agree with you. It reminds me of Jesus' parable of the sower of seed. If you have no root, you will wither and die.