John of Patmos

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
who was John of Patmos ? do some believe he was the Apostle John The Beloved ? do we know that he was not for sure ? or do we know that it was him ? anyone ? Beuhler ?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Good article but I get annoyed when people say 'John the Revelator'.
John was not the Revelator but the Reveletee.
The Lord Jesus is the Revelator.
The Lord Jesus 'revealed' it to John and John wrote it down.

good points. something struck me wrong about that but i couldn't pinpoint it, that was it thanks

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
who was John of Patmos ? do some believe he was the Apostle John The Beloved ? do we know that he was not for sure ? or do we know that it was him ? anyone ? Beuhler ?
He was a writer on the island of Patmos in the Aegean Sea. He used the genre of apocalyptic prophecy (not related to fortune-telling) to understand the horrific effects of the Roman/Jewish War and the active persecution of the church by the Emperor Nero.

The war was a profound destruction of Jewish and early Christian hopes for a just world where the good were exhaled and the evil defeated. Just as in the Hebrew Bible, prophets and writers arose to interpret the historical dislocations for people to understand.

Both Peter and Paul were martyred by the emperor in the 60s.

John's dense metaphoric imagery has been applied to current events all through Christian tradition since the crucifixion. Hal Lindsey riffed on the Book of Revelation and asserted they were political and global events of the 1970s "predicted" by the biblical book. Since 2001, Tim LaHay has written a popular series of books claiming that the events of 9/11 and beyond are going to play out as "predicted" in Revelation.

When I was younger, some fantastic imagery relating to the number 4 in Revelation was said to refer to the Beatles.

The "Gospel of John" in the New Testament was written around the year 100 and believed to have been crafted by early Christians in Antioch. It was not John of Patmos--or at least most historical researchers believe so. Both Johns had very different theologies and agendas.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

there are three johns
three different versions of the apocalypse
the first is john the baptist
the second the apostle or the other john
the third chrysostom

I can explain

Dan Emanuel

I hope this doesn't challenge anybodies' faith, when they read or hear somebody eschewing the Churches' own testimony about a matter, and declaring that book so-and-so in the New Testament wasn't written by an Apostle. If you believe in the papacy, you also believe that when the Church has pronounced that something is Scripture, its Scripture, and whatever apply's to Scripture apply's to the book in question, regardless of who wrote it. It is the Church who say's what is and what isn't Scripture. Not scholar's, not critic's, not skeptic's. The Church say's that Revelation is Scripture, and thats good enough for me, because I believe in the Church. The Church is the whole point of the Christian faith on this earth (as our Lord is presently in heaven). So, while I don't discourage seeking out the truth of any matter, I only warn to bear in mind in so doing, that Revelation is indeed Scripture, even if Tom Dick and Harry wrote it.

DJ

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
i know Revelation is scripture and i didn't start this thread to question that. i never researched it, and if i did a little i wouldn't have needed to start this. i have always read Revelation as it was from John the Apostle (not John Mark), even as a child i read it as the Apostle wrote it. i am convinced he wrote it and my mind can't be changed

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I hope this doesn't challenge anybodies' faith, when they read or hear somebody eschewing the Churches' own testimony about a matter, and declaring that book so-and-so in the New Testament wasn't written by an Apostle.

i know Revelation is scripture and i didn't start this thread to question that. i never researched it, and if i did a little i wouldn't have needed to start this.

it is what it is
our bible
but
we can question how it got there

without questioning its authority

StanJ

The majority say he was John the Apostle...the one who wrote 1, 2, and 3 John.