Kid genius just can't get ahead

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kid Genius Can't Get Ahead

Angela Lipsman is a really smart kid, but a really, really dumb rule is keeping the 15-year-old from getting a college degree.

Angela, who skipped high school and went straight to college last year, has earned her associate's degree and is on her way to a bachelor's - but she can't have the sheepskins because she never got a high school diploma.

Even worse, the gifted girl's proud dad is being investigated by child protective services for alleged educational neglect - for letting his daughter go to college.

This is government interference run amok. Needless to say, this girl is very intelligent and her father's been doing his best to make sure that she receives the education she needs; not the education that the state deems necessary.

The liberals want us to depend solely on the government for our needs. I, for one, don't want to depend on the government. If a parent sees that his/her child is more intelligent than the child's teachers, it's time to do something about it. This father loves his daughter. So, instead of forcing her to slow down so that the teachers could keep up with her, he did his best to make sure that she has an education. She's already completed 71 college credits with a 3.84 gpa (that's a high B/low A average for you public school graduates like me). Needless to say, she's able to keep up with the older students.

This is a case of the government wanting to stick their nose in where they have no business sticking it. I am going to write to the director of Albany's child protective services and tell him what I think of this. If anyone else is interested, his name, address, and phone number is here:

ALBANY REGIONAL OFFICE
William Dorr, Acting R.O. Manager
NYS Office of Children and Family Services
Albany Regional Office
155 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12210-2329
(518) 402-3038

ibowatjesusfeet

Cosmic Redneck
DCFS causes more problems than they help. I think that the local high school should let her take an equivelancy test and if she passes it with a C or better, she should get the diploma.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think so too, ibow. When I read that story, I got mad. :D I think her father really wants the best for her. And, if that includes sending her to college at 15 years old, so be it.

ibowatjesusfeet

Cosmic Redneck
There's a DCFS story around here that just finished up recently. Two years ago, a couple had a kid and the kid was sick. They took the child to several doctors and finally found out that the kid had a certain kind of illness. Well, since the kid wasn't getting better, DCFS came in and took it without bothering to find out that doctors had said the child was sick. After two years, the couple got their kid back, but lost all their money in the process. DCFS came in trying to act all heroic or something, but they ended up almost ruining a family.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You don't even want to get me started on DFS. :nono: I don't have a very good opinion of them at all.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Typical...

The public school system would rather penalize excellence than reward it.

I love that the Father who said he would go to jail before he put his daughter in a public High School!!!!

billwald

In Washington State, home schooling is encouraged. If a school district is notified of a home schooler the district gets half the per capata student kick-back from the state and doesn't have to provide services unless requested by the student.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by .Ant
What idiots insist on keeping that rule in this case? :rolleyes:

My guess: DCFS and the Department of Education.