kmoney, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
kmoney, this post is all too typical of your contributions to TOL.
Is that a good or a bad thing?? ;)

Are you an Evolutionist?
No.

Do you think Young-Earth Creationists are stupid?
Not necessarily.

Do you think the scientists from AnswersInGenesis are stupid?
I've never read their writings but not necessarily.

Would you mind if I make this thread a one-on-one?
What are you hoping to accomplish? If you're wanting to find out what I believe on the topic of Creation vs. Evolution then a One-on-One might be pointless because to be honest I'm not sure what I believe. I'm sort of in the process (a very slow one) of taking a fresh look at the issue (though this is in a way the first time I'm looking at the issue).

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's a bad thing. Frequently, after coming across your posts, I ask myself, "Whose side is he on, anyway?"

Here's the pattern: You post a link or a quote of some "joke" made at the expense of right-wing Christians. Then when you are asked to explain yourself, you say that you are not opposed to whatever you just mocked, or that you're not sure where you stand on the issue, or that you don't know why you posted what you did.

There are other patterns I see, too.

What am I hoping to accomplish? I want some straight answers from you. The reason I'd prefer a one-on-one is that I don't want distractions from other posters.

You think that YECs are "not necessarily" stupid. That's rather ambiguous.

You know virtually nothing about AnswersInGenesis, but you think a joke about them making their audience "stupider" is funny. Why? Do you think there is some truth in that joke? (I can't see how one would find such a joke to be funny if one didn't find any truth in it.)

to be honest I'm not sure what I believe. I'm sort of in the process (a very slow one) of taking a fresh look at the issue (though this is in a way the first time I'm looking at the issue).
Maybe you should read some of the material at AnswersInGenesis.org. (I especially like Dr. Jon Sarfati's writings.) Then maybe you'll be better qualified to judge whether their advanced-degreed scientists are stupid. Maybe.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Here's the pattern: You post a link or a quote of some "joke" made at the expense of right-wing Christians. Then when you are asked to explain yourself, you say that you are not opposed to whatever you just mocked, or that you're not sure where you stand on the issue, or that you don't know why you posted what you did.
I won't deny that all of those things have happened at one time or another, but I didn't think I did it that often.
There are other patterns I see, too.
Such as?
What am I hoping to accomplish? I want some straight answers from you. The reason I'd prefer a one-on-one is that I don't want distractions from other posters.
Straight answers on what topics?

You know virtually nothing about AnswersInGenesis, but you think a joke about them making their audience "stupider" is funny. Why? Do you think there is some truth in that joke? (I can't see how one would find such a joke to be funny if one didn't find any truth in it.)
I suppose I do find some truth it but that's not to say that I think Creationists are stupid and evolutionists are smart. As of now I lean towards both sides being wrong so I laugh at both sides, though I do admit that most of the stuff I actually post on TOL is directed towards Christians/Creationists.

Maybe you should read some of the material at AnswersInGenesis.org. (I especially like Dr. Jon Sarfati's writings.) Then maybe you'll be better qualified to judge whether their advanced-degreed scientists are stupid. Maybe.
I do plan to do a lot of reading on this subject, but like I said, it's a long process. Thanks for the suggestion.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I suppose I do find some truth it
But since you've admitted that you have never read AnswersInGenesis's materials, how do you conclude there is "truth" in the notion that visitors to their museum will leave dumber than they came in? Was that based on evolutionists' disparaging remarks about AiG and/or their museum? Was it based on an episode of The Simpsons? What?

but that's not to say that I think Creationists are stupid and evolutionists are smart. As of now I lean towards both sides being wrong
So what are you leaning towards being right? Old-Earth Creationism? Theistic Evolution? Something else?

so I laugh at both sides, though I do admit that most of the stuff I actually post on TOL is directed towards Christians/Creationists.
Why is that?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
But since you've admitted that you have never read AnswersInGenesis's materials, how do you conclude there is "truth" in the notion that visitors to their museum will leave dumber than they came in? Was that based on evolutionists' disparaging remarks about AiG and/or their museum? Was it based on an episode of The Simpsons? What?
I don't actually think that people will leave more stupid than when they went. When I said there was some truth in it I didn't mean that. What I meant was that I think there is some truth in Creationists being wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

So what are you leaning towards being right? Old-Earth Creationism? Theistic Evolution? Something else?
Right now, if I had to say something I'd go with some form of Theistic Evolution.

Why is that?
Well part of it is I mainly see stuff mocking Creation. There may be things I've seen mocking Evolution that I didn't post but none come to mind. That one thread Knight made with the sand castles was hilarious! If I had seen something similar to that I'm sure I would have posted it, but I don't come across things like that. And the other part I'm not sure what to call. I think the best way is to give an example. Public schooling is railed against all the time on TOL and homeschooling is praised. So I decided to post a thread mocking a homeschooler. I guess it's some form of devil's advocate or defending the side that is getting ridiculed the most. Do I actually find homeschooling objectionable? Absolutely not, but when I see homeschoolers criticizing public schooling in a way that I feel is excessive and/or unwarranted I want to stick up for them and "turn the tables" or whatever you want to call it. I think that's the best answer I can give.

Balder

Sorry, y'all. I really hit a sore nerve. I've never had such a stream of neg reps in all my time on TOL. I have read the AIG site and have found some weak articles there (this one, for example). I think if you want to make a case for Christian-centered science, you can probably do better than what is found on this site.

Anyway, I'll butt out now, since Turbo has asked me to.

SOTK

I would be interested in seeing a one-on-one with Turbo and KMoney on this subject as well. To be honest, I know very little about 'Theistic Evolution'. I am definitely a YEC but it would be interesting to read kmoney's perspective.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Status
Not open for further replies.