Lifting & Fasting

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Attia did a piece once about his personal experience with keto, he said it took him 18 months to regain his strength
Whoever this is…is lying or leaving out details of the diet. We didn’t eat carbs in history from creation until the industrial revolution like we do know. We ate in summer when food was plentiful and at the harvest. Insulin exists to get us through winter by storing carbs as fat.

Speaking of which let me help those confused. A body might have 1000-1500 calories if glycogen in it stored, 100,000 calories of fat stored. Americans today is even more as we overload our system. Fat is the preferred energy source.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Whoever this is…is lying or leaving out details of the diet.
I doubt it, the guy's nothing if not analytical. He's the type to meticulously record every data point every day.

Besides it comports with the sports of bodybuilding and power lifting. Elite lifters all consume tons of carbs.

iow there aren't any elite lifters who don't consume tons of carbs.

But it specifically is when they're building strength and muscle. When they're cutting, especially bodybuilders for a competition, that's when they'll cut carbs way down, trying to lose fat and glycogen (glycogen binds water and both of them add to a "puffy" look as opposed to the "shredded" thing they're going for).
We didn’t eat carbs in history from creation until the industrial revolution like we do know. We ate in summer when food was plentiful and at the harvest. Insulin exists to get us through winter by storing carbs as fat.
Yeah granted that's one of most important anabolic (tissue building) things insulin does.
Speaking of which let me help those confused. A body might have 1000-1500 calories if glycogen in it stored, 100,000 calories of fat stored. Americans today is even more as we overload our system. Fat is the preferred energy source.
Oh 100,000 fat calories easily. A pound of fat is c. 4000 calories so 100k is c. 25 LBS of body fat.

For a 250 LB person that's only 10% body fat which is very lean (for men) and for a person who weighs 166 LBS that's 15% bodyfat, which isn't very much (it's near unhealthy for women). Most obese people have over 30% body fat, so 300,000 stored fat calories is closer to normal.

On the topic here's a formula I use to determine my own body fat, using a tape measure:

The US Navy Method: (units, inches)

86.01 x [ log10 ( (abdomen circumference) -(neck circumference) ) ] - 70.041 x [ log10 ( height ) ] + 36.76

You need a spreadsheet or an advanced calculator to get log10.
This estimates your percent body fat, based on your gut, your neck, and your height. Combine it with your body mass to calculate how many pounds of fat you're hauling around.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I doubt it, the guy's nothing if not analytical.
I can appreciate it and know the type. But some still bend the knee and lie for the gain of big pharma, which is part of the Beast not yet revealed. Sometimes.

Look how long Mike Pence waited to reveal he is a liar and a child of the devil. But that is off point. The facts of nutrition and insulin remain. It is a fat storage hormone.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
iow there aren't any elite lifters who don't consume tons of carbs.

But it specifically is when they're building strength and muscle. When they're cutting, especially bodybuilders for a competition,
Good point and I was off point in thinking of body builders specifically.

Idolater

I can appreciate it and know the type. But some still bend the knee and lie for the gain of big pharma, which is part of the Beast not yet revealed. Sometimes.

Look how long Mike Pence waited to reveal he is a liar and a child of the devil. But that is off point. The facts of nutrition and insulin remain. It is a fat storage hormone.
Yes. It also protects your organs from too much blood sugar. It's amazing that sugar is literally so toxic to us that if we don't have functioning insulin (diabetes or insulin resistance) then we will die because our tissues will be destroyed by sugar. People lose limbs, eyes, etc. To sugar! Not to smoking, but to sweets.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. It also protects your organs from too much blood sugar
By converting it into fat. It isn't a bad design. The world was made in 6 days and there were no refrigerators. The harvest was a time to fatten up before winter when food is scarce. We don't need to do that now, nor eat 6 times a day.

Idolater

By converting it into fat. It isn't a bad design. The world was made in 6 days and there were no refrigerators. The harvest was a time to fatten up before winter when food is scarce. We don't need to do that now, nor eat 6 times a day.
Right. Although I will say that it's pretty remarkable that you could store up enough nutrition in adipose tissue to go without food for months. I mentioned before, a guy who fasted for 55 days; but the World record holder went for literally over a year without eating anything. He transformed from a blob, into a man by not eating anything for over a year straight.

Can you imagine having an army go to war and not need food? By itself it wouldn't win every battle, but it would be an advantage over your enemy to not have to feed your troops, but he still has to feed his.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Attia did a piece once about his personal experience with keto, he said it took him 18 months to regain his strength in the weight room from the lack of carbohydrates in his diet.
I don't know who it is. I have learned people lie about it, to include selling their information and products. If you don't have body fat, you do need more fuel.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can you imagine having an army go to war and not need food?
No. And I have no issue with what I saw deployed. Cases and cases of food with a shelf life, like muffins and Pop tarts. And apples and bananas. It is for the men on 12 hour dismounted patrols. The only issue is the false information about what is going on. And people who don't go door to door don't need it, and eat it anyway.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One other thing that I have learned in the last 10 years is that glucose metabolism and fat burning are two different things. Metabolism should not be discussed when you're talking about fat burning.