Lucky's pick 12-5-03

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ebenz47037
Today, almost everyone you meet has a victim mentality. That is, it's someone else's fault if they murder, steal, or are not wealthy. This isn't something that comes naturally. It is now being taught at a very young age.

In school, children are taught that it isn't their fault if they don't get their schoolwork done because they have a learning disorder. It isn't their fault if they beat someone up because they've witnessed so much brutality in their young lives. And, this goes on throughout our lives.

People don't take responsibility for their own actions anymore. It's not my fault that I have a bad temper. It's because no one ever taught me to control my emotions. It's not my fault that I killed all those people. I did it because my mother treated me badly when I was younger.

People say that we shouldn't have the death penalty because it's "inhumane" and that the murderers must have had something wrong with them to kill. We shouldn't have long prison sentences because we need to find out why these people commit crimes (who's fault is it if it isn't their own?).

I get so sick of hearing "It's not my fault" from every corner. I will tell you, honestly, I smoke cigarettes. I've smoked for almost twenty years (quite a feat for a soon to be thirty-five year old). I blame my starting smoking where it rightfully belongs. I was seven years old. My step-father wanted someone to drink and smoke with him. It's his fault that I started. But, once I reached the age of eighteen, I chose to continue to smoke. It is no longer my step-father's fault that I smoke. It is mine. My decision, my fault.

It's hard raising children in today's world, especially when they see how everyone gets away with doing wrong by blaming their problems on their parents, on a mental illness, or on society in general. Those who are Christians have a chance of having children grow up to be responsible adults because they (generally) teach their children to accept responsibility for their own actions and choices. I'm trying to do that with my daughter, now. It's hard when so many people tell her that she does something because her father passed away or because she's being raised by a single mom. But, I tell her that if I can take responsibility for my own actions and choices, then she will have to when she's eighteen.

:first:

But its her fault she gets the SPOTD. :D

context

Status
Not open for further replies.