Marijuana legalization: What say you?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Here is one issue I know about on this. The medical rule is, if you have detectable marijuana in your system, you cannot receive a liver transplant, that is, if you have HCV. Now, why is that so?

elohiym

Here is one issue I know about on this. The medical rule is, if you have detectable marijuana in your system, you cannot receive a liver transplant, that is, if you have HCV. Now, why is that so?

Here is one explanation:

What is the medical reason? It is partly physiological and partly psychological. Marijuana has been shown to damage the liver. It causes problems for people who already have fatty livers. If you need a liver transplant, it may accelerate your need if your liver is already starting to go, and it can damage the new liver. If the livers come from older donors, which they often do, there is some evidence that marijuana use can weaken the ability of the liver to function well. In terms of psychology, there is a fear that if you smoke a lot of marijuana you won't be able to be compliant with the post-transplant regimen. You won't take your drugs properly, you won't be able to follow instructions well, and your memory itself may be impaired. I am not going to say that there is a huge amount of evidence for that particular worry, but it is a worry that transplant teams talk about, that a heavy marijuana user may be someone who isn't likely to be able to comply well post-transplant.​

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
"If you are drunk or high or stoned, you are not going to take your medicine," said Dr. Jeffrey Crippin, former president of the American Society of Transplantation and medical director at Washington University in St. Louis."

Jeffery treated me for HCV

glorydaz

Well, actually, if it's smoked, as it almost always is, there is a substantial increase in the likelihood of it causing damage to the lungs.

Living in smog filled LA does that, too, doesn't it?

However, there are filters, water pipes, and vaporizers (which has no smoke at all).

glorydaz

I don't believe being high on pot has ever been used to successfully avoid responsibility for having committed a crime. If you are aware of even three instances of this happening in the whole history of the United States, I'd love to hear them.

Truth be told, I don't know of anyone committing crimes who are solely pot smokers. It's the mixing with meth, booze, or other drugs that creates the criminal activity. What? A pot smoker may reach over and steal that bag a Doritos from the guy sitting beside him? :chuckle: