Marijuana legalization: What say you?

genuineoriginal

What is your opinion on legalization? Are you for or against it and why?

Outlawing alcohol produced the biggest criminal organizations the country ever saw during the prohibition.
Outlawing marijuana has produced even bigger criminal organizations than were produced during the prohibition.

We need to stop creating a market for criminal activity by keeping marijuana illegal and legalize it.

Doing so will change marijuana from being a waste on taxpayer dollars (law enforcement and prison costs) and turn it into a revenue source for the states from the licenses and taxes.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Outlawing alcohol produced the biggest criminal organizations the country ever saw during the prohibition.
Outlawing marijuana has produced even bigger criminal organizations than were produced during the prohibition.

We need to stop creating a market for criminal activity by keeping marijuana illegal and legalize it.

Doing so will change marijuana from being a waste on taxpayer dollars (law enforcement and prison costs) and turn it into a revenue source for the states from the licenses and taxes.

and medical uses like children with seizures etc,

Tinark

Why should a person be caged up for smoking weeds, relaxing and chilling? Anyone who wants to force such a person to live in a cage is a thug in my opinion.

It should definitely be legal.

I'm happy to live in WA state where it is in fact legal.

Tinark

Being that alcohol is far more dangerous than weed, and can be utilized for certain medical conditions, I am FOR legalization.

Alcohol causes more deaths than any other drug out there, from overdose deaths, to chronic condition deaths, to impaired judgment deaths. The person using alcohol is more likely to get angry when they are agitated, and more likely to act out in aggression once angry. More likely to get into fights. Alcohol is also the single drug most responsible for people calling in sick and missing work because they are too hung over, and they are less productive on the job when hung over.

Marijuana impairs judgment, but tends to make the person calmer and more relaxed. There are no overdose deaths, and no known chronic health problems result from its use. There are no hangover effects the next morning. At worst, it induces paranoia and an unpleasant experience in the user until it wears off.

That people want to criminalize its use is, in my mind, simply a thuggish response to a very low key problem, if one even views the use of it as a problem as opposed to a decision that an adult wants to make with their own life.

Buzzword

Legalize it across the board, and freely sell seeds for homegrowing instead of adding to the monopoly of Big Pharma.

And a friend proposed an additional measure recently:
When we legalize it (whether at the state or federal level), issue an automatic pardon for anyone currently incarcerated for, charged with, or being pursued for possession or sale, and expunge it from their records.

Caledvwlch

Legalize it across the board, and freely sell seeds for homegrowing instead of adding to the monopoly of Big Pharma.

That's a good point. I'm definitely in favor of legalization, but it it ends up being transferred entirely to the control of pharmaceutical companies, we're no better off.

And a friend proposed an additional measure recently:
When we legalize it (whether at the state or federal level), issue an automatic pardon for anyone currently incarcerated for, charged with, or being pursued for possession or sale, and expunge it from their records.

Yeah, including mine. :chuckle:

genuineoriginal

Alcohol causes more deaths than any other drug out there, from overdose deaths, to chronic condition deaths, to impaired judgment deaths. The person using alcohol is more likely to get angry when they are agitated, and more likely to act out in aggression once angry. More likely to get into fights. Alcohol is also the single drug most responsible for people calling in sick and missing work because they are too hung over, and they are less productive on the job when hung over.

Marijuana impairs judgment, but tends to make the person calmer and more relaxed. There are no overdose deaths, and no known chronic health problems result from its use. There are no hangover effects the next morning. At worst, it induces paranoia and an unpleasant experience in the user until it wears off.

That people want to criminalize its use is, in my mind, simply a thuggish response to a very low key problem, if one even views the use of it as a problem as opposed to a decision that an adult wants to make with their own life.

From what I have heard, the criminalization of marijuana was really done because William Randolph Hearst found out that paper made from hemp was cheaper and stronger than newsprint made from wood pulp. He had just invested most of his money into paper mills that produced the newsprint used by his newspapers. Criminalization of marijuana provided the means to outlaw hemp and remove the competition.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

How far are you willing to go with this line of logic? Cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ecstasy, steroids, and the list goes on. How far would you be willing to go to eliminate criminal markets?

bybee

What is your opinion on legalization? Are you for or against it and why?[
According to medical statistics marijuana is both beneficial and detrimental. The same may be said of aspirin.
I am for legalization because it is one less crime to clog up the courts and take up Police Officers time. Also it would rule out the dealers and their criminal activity. And, it would mean increased revenue for the state.
Personally? No mind altering drugs for me.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will back the deregulation of pot laws when potheads are sentenced correctly for the crimes they commit while stoned and lawyers cannot use their pot use as an excuse in court.