Mel Gibson's 'The Passion': Most offensive film ever made

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34291

Have you heard of the controversy and heated debate swirling around Mel Gibson's yet to be released film, "The Passion"? Just to be clear, I will summarize: Detractors, supposedly leaders of Jewish groups, as well as Catholics and Protestants, are concerned that this documentation of the final hours of Jesus Christ's life and His resurrection "will fuel hatred, bigotry and anti-Semitism." Since this portrayal is arguably one of the most accurate of all movies ever made about any aspect of Christ's life, we should be asking what these concerned "leaders" are saying about the Gospel of Christ.

Are they saying that the Gospels fuel hatred? If they are, they hit the nail right on its head. The Gospels have always fueled hatred against Christians as Jesus Christ very clearly forewarned they would. One would think Jesus' message and mission of truth, love and mercy would inspire all men to a perpetual state of warm and fuzzy mutual affection. But if you actually read Jesus' words, He will disabuse you of that notion in an instant.

If this movie is true to the Gospels, it will offend a lot of people. But, the Jesus told us that the Gospel would be offensive to some. The Bible says, "And He went out from thence, and came into His own country; and His disciples followed Him. And when the Sabbath day was come, He began to teach in the synagogue; and many hearing Him were astonished, saying, "From whence hath this man these things and what wisdom is this which is given unto Him, that even such mighty works are wrought by His hands? Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" And they were offended at him," in Mark 6:1-3.

If Jesus, Himself, offended people by what He taught, what makes people think that modern day Christians should expect any better treatment for teaching the truth? The only way we modern day Christians will be treated any better is if we serve a watered-down version of the Gospel.

I think what this article says makes sense. I, for one, cannot wait until this movie comes out in theaters in Indiana.

Mr Potato Head

People that get angry at the Jews over crucifying their Lord are missing something really big... for example: Jesus and almost every biblical author were Jews :kookoo:

Mr Potato Head

I hope it dispells all "nice" notions of the crucifixion. Most people never think about what Jesus really had to go through. I don't think anyone can truly imagine it.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mr Potato Head
I hope it dispells all "nice" notions of the crucifixion.
Based on the trailer, I think you'll be pleased.

Flipper

I'm quite looking forward to seeing it myself. Indications are that it will be a good movie. I can understand the reservations that some Jewish groups might have about it. Art Spiegelman, the cartoonist and writer who wrote his father's memories of the holocaust up in a two volume book called "Maus" which portrayed the germans as cats and the jews as mice said that if he had to draw israelis, he'd draw porcupines.

After the 20th Century, many Jewish people are hyper-sensitive to the cultural climate, and anything that could upset the balance in their disfavor or be used as an excuse is regarded with suspicion.

And, yes, Christianity does share some of the responsibility for this. So I'm not so quick to dismiss why they are concerned although I suspect the concerns are unfounded.

If he does as well as Braveheart, it should be quite the epic.

Behira

Lashan Hara; evil speach; most usually defined as gossip, slander, backbitting

Anything said or written by anyone concerning the "Passion" is hearsay if you have not seen for yourself the movie.

It is typical of Christians to write off the controversy as merely Christ's words if the hated me they will hate you. YOu must clearly understand the great harm Christianity has brought to Jews; you must see it thorough historical eyes first; you have not brought them to the knowledge of Messiah because your version is pagan; your lifestyes pagan; unholy, unrighteious and the more so the more you take on western culture; you've given them nothing they can understand; two or three reliable witnesses are required in the court of law of YHVH; to discuss what other people said and pass it on is gossip and can result in slander.

You do not support the root; they root supports you; the root of xtianity is bibical Judaism; you are not to lord yourselves over them; remember you were once aliens to the commonwealth of Israel; (the mosic law) but now you have been brought near; through the Messiah; He opened up the Covenant of Israel to Gentiles.

Free-Agent Smith

I too am waiting for this movie like a kid waiting to get into the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory.

I must admit I think this will be a very emotional and moving experience for many of those who choose to watch it.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Update...
"Newsweek reports that it seems no major studio wants to touch Mel Gibson's latest film, "The Passion," a controversial movie about Jesus' death that has inspired more hostile attention than any movie in recent history."

"Two higher-profile independents, Lions Gate and Miramax, have expressed interest in the film and have asked to see it. They have yet to be invited."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/10/5/193222.shtml

My money would be on Lions Gate. They recently made two good calls in the B horror genre with House of 1000 Corpses and May. But then again Mr. Gibson might shy away from Lion's Gate because of Ho1kC and May. Miramax may be on sale at ebay soon if they keep pushing Disney towards violence instead of the way Mike E. wants to take them.

"It's possible, though remotely, that Icon, which distributes most of Gibson's films in the U.K. and Australia, may opt to put "The Passion" in U.S. theaters itself."

This would probably be the best way to go.

"People think Mel's crazy now," says one top producer."

Go Gibson! Go Gibson!

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Behira – While I agree that Christians have wronged Israelis and have a long history of ungodliness, the Jews have been pretty terrible themselves if you consider God’s word on the matter. So lets not run in circles pointing fingers and making excuses, like that you were just trying to lord your view over us who have liberty in Christ. Instead, I disagree with your view that the root or basis of Christianity is biblical Judaism (a life of faith under the law and the commandments.), and I disagree that He opened up the covenant of Israel to Gentiles, instead of creating a new one.

I created a new thread in the General theology forum, called

Christianity & biblical Judaism, differences

Here is the link to that thread.

http://www.theologyonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=354522#post354522

I hope you will join me there.

OMEGA

gospel

gospel

Whatever gets the job done.

(Mat 24:14 KJV) "And this gospel of the kingdom

shall be preached in all the world for a witness

unto all nations; and then shall the end come."

:thumb:

:princess:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35212

"Mel Gibson has signed a deal with Newmarket to handle U.S. distribution for his controversial movie about the death of Jesus, now newly titled "The Passion of Christ."

"Gibson sources told WorldNetDaily Icon is planning a release timed with Ash Wednesday, which next year falls on Feb. 25. Earlier reports had Gibson considering a release tied to Easter, which falls on April 11."

4 months and counting :)

lucybelle

TOL Princess
Originally posted by Agent Smith
I too am waiting for this movie like a kid waiting to get into the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory.

A little of the subject, but they're also remaking that film too....With Johnny Depp as Wonka.

I've been getting the newsletters on this project (The Passion) - apparently the man who is protraying Jesus was actually stuck by lightening during the Cruxificion scene. And he survived it. Strange how things like that happen...

Freak

Originally posted by Flipper

After the 20th Century, many Jewish people are hyper-sensitive to the cultural climate, and anything that could upset the balance in their disfavor or be used as an excuse is regarded with suspicion.
That is true.

Granite

Hall of Fame
As true as it is, this doesn't excuse the left from trying to sabotage this picture before it's released, while yelling for tolerance about a hatchet job like "The Reagans." Double standard, anyone?

granite

Flipper

I'm quite looking forward to it. All signs are that it will be very good.

Still, I can't quite help but think that Mel Gibson was way off base when he initially decided to do the whole thing in Latin and Aramaic without subtitles. Lucky someone talked him out of that, or it would have been "the greatest story ever told to mute imcomprehension"

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Lucky,
Last I heard was Ash Wednesday for a release date.

Hopefully, at least one theater will be bold enough to actually show it near me :)

danieltol

The Passion in Theaters Near you

The Passion in Theaters Near you

You can download a petition from this site:

http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/petition.html

to get your local theater to play the movie. You can get much more accurate info from this site than I can provide on this post.

I got my 500 sigs by taking it to my highschool (not public school, otherwise I think it would have been illegal). I talked to the teachers and they brought it up during homeroom. I had 600+ sigs the following week.

Daniel