Millionaire gay couple is suing to force a church to hold their wedding

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sadly, just after their engagement, the happy couple were both killed in a car crash. They went to the waiting room and while they were waiting to be processed, they discussed whether there was marriage in heaven. After a while St. Peter comes to process them. So they take the opportunity to ask, 'Excuse us, Peter, is there a priest here who can marry us so that we can spend eternity together?'

St Peter goes away and is away many days. The couple wonder what has happened to him. In the meantime the couple are having second thoughts and although they like each other a lot, they are worried that they might decide they don't get on and they might not want to spend eternity together.

A long time later Peter comes back and informs them that he has found a priest and they can get married. So they ask him about the possibility of divorce. He replies

"What? I've just spent three months trying to find a priest up here and now you expect me to find a lawyer?"

On a more down to earth note, though, has any of your states ever thought of seceding? It is obvious that homosexual marriage is just legitimising perversion, perhaps it will be so obvious to some that they feel they don't want to be told any more that it is not? I don't agree that homosexuality should be criminalised but being told you have to legitimise perversion is perhaps the straw that might break the camel's back?

GFR7

Sadly, just after their engagement, the happy couple were both killed in a car crash. They went to the waiting room and while they were waiting to be processed, they discussed whether there was marriage in heaven. After a while St. Peter comes to process them. So they take the opportunity to ask, 'Excuse us, Peter, is there a priest here who can marry us so that we can spend eternity together?'

St Peter goes away and is away many days. The couple wonder what has happened to him. In the meantime the couple are having second thoughts and although they like each other a lot, they are worried that they might decide they don't get on and they might not want to spend eternity together.

A long time later Peter comes back and informs them that he has found a priest and they can get married. So they ask him about the possibility of divorce. He replies

"What? I've just spent three months trying to find a priest up here and now you expect me to find a lawyer?"

On a more down to earth note, though, has any of your states ever thought of seceding? It is obvious that homosexual marriage is just legitimising perversion, perhaps it will be so obvious to some that they feel they don't want to be told any more that it is not? I don't agree that homosexuality should be criminalised but being told you have to legitimise perversion is perhaps the straw that might break the camel's back?
Ha...... some comic relief :mock:

In 1997 Howe and Strauss predicted that in the 2010s, some issue would arise which would cause state secessionist movements. Maybe this is it?

State workers can deny licenses to same-sex couples

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-06-28-18-37-32

rougueone

Yep. This is next.

Soon it will be jail for pastors who resist.

Unless this is stopped.

Nazaroo, Although SCOTUS did allow some breathing room for the church, the ruling also allowed breathing room for further litigation by homosexual's.

I feel this a defining moment for God's people. Never in my life did I believe, I would be challenged to draw the line between God ? Or country ? Now it is God. I must submit to God. I cannot hide behind Romans 9 . I must prepare now. Because of what is coming......

Soon it will be jail for pastors who resist.
........Worse. For all of God's people. Note please, " God's People".

It was previous rulings by SCOTUS, Roe VS. Wade, ( and other's ) that were equally " a wake up call" to Gods people. If a country allows the wholesale slaughter of the infant fetus, and Christians toss a fit, but then knowingly render's "unto Caesar ," for such action's, there is a very revealing issue. Then we pledge " an allegiance" to Caesar. Who is our true allegiance to ? And for how long shall I hide behind Roman's 9 ?
Am I, to believe some " rapture" event will occur and I shall be spared the ultimate test? The "Mark" ? Or persecution would not occur in my life ?
Jesus taught explicitly the opposite;

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 2 Timothy 3:12

Further:

Jesus SAID unto his disciples, If any man ( Am I ? ), will come ( choice ) , after me, ( after--not before, but after ) let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Follow Jesus ! All the way to Golgotha Hill.

These words spoken by Jesus are taking on a whole new heart felt message of truth and reality for me . I was diluting myself by not heeding their intent and warnings. .

My take.

Last edited:

musterion

As I've posted here before, in 2012 a church refused to marry a black couple. Even though there was quite a bit of publicity, no one was arrested or fined.

I've not heard that story but if accurate, they were dead wrong and anti-biblical, if "race mixing" or something like it was the reason they cited for refusing.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Much like acceptance of sodomy as "normal" behavior. Or fag marriage just a few decades back.
No, a lot of us saw this coming a long time ago. I spoke to the subject and made the prediction years ago here, I believe. Anyone who looked at blue laws and thought it through could see this coming.

There will be an inevitable conflict between religious freedom and this and speech, some grating as they settle in around one another. But this isn't the herald of the end of either religious freedom or speech.

Jose Fly

I've not heard that story but if accurate, they were dead wrong and anti-biblical, if "race mixing" or something like it was the reason they cited for refusing.

It doesn't matter. The point is, even though the case was covered nationally and was in the media spotlight, no legal action was taken against the church or the pastor, thereby demonstrating that all these predictions about churches soon to be forced to perform gay weddings or face legal action are just baseless paranoia.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It might be a touchy thing. Once you establish that the government has the power to forbid certain people to be married, you have granted it the power to require that you accept that certain people can be married.

The Defense of Marriage Act may backfire to the detriment of us all, not just a few.

Told ya so.

jeffblue101

As I've posted here before, in 2012 a church refused to marry a black couple. Even though there was quite a bit of publicity, no one was arrested or fined.

I'm not sure if you are a resident of the U.S., so i give you a pass for deliberate deception, but your proof is misleading and irrelevant. the black couple never filed suit so arrest/fine or any legal consequence would not matter for this and certainly would have no relevance towards a gay couple, who are known to seek out such lawsuits.

Jose Fly

I'm not sure if you are a resident of the U.S., so i give you a pass for deliberate deception, but your proof is misleading and irrelevant. the black couple never filed suit so arrest/fine or any legal consequence would not matter for this and certainly would have no relevance towards a gay couple, who are known to seek out such lawsuits.

What law would they have filed suit under?

jeffblue101

It doesn't matter. The point is, even though the case was covered nationally and was in the media spotlight, no legal action was taken against the church or the pastor, thereby demonstrating that all these predictions about churches soon to be forced to perform gay weddings or face legal action are just baseless paranoia.

well it seems that gay couples operate under a different anti-christian motive as this court case demonstrates.
Christian farm family penalized in gay wedding refusal decries ‘orchestrated set-up’
When Melisa Erwin called the Giffords about using their upstate New York property for a same-sex wedding ceremony, she apparently knew in advance that they would refuse. For one thing, she and her fiancee recorded the conversation.

Even so, an administrative judge with the New York State Division of Human Rights ordered the Giffords to pay $3,000 to Ms. Erwin and Jennifer McCarthy for “mental pain and suffering,” in addition to $10,000 for violating the state’s human rights ordinance.

In a brief filed Thursday, attorneys for Cynthia and Robert Gifford argue that the state’s ruling violates the First Amendment, but they also criticize the same-sex couple for what they describe as an “orchestrated set-up.”

“The evidence, however, indicates that Respondents were aware of the Giffords’ beliefs and chose specifically to call and record Mrs. Gifford for the purposes of documenting the Giffords’ policy,” said the brief filed by attorneys with Alliance Defending Freedom.

The argument illustrates a common complaint among Christian business owners: They are deliberately sought out by gay couples even though most photographers, bakers and florists would be happy to provide services for same-sex weddings.

“The gay community is constantly attacking the church as if the church were singling them out. However, it is the other way around; the gay community is singling out the church,” Patricia L. Dickson said in a Nov. 2 article in American Thinker. “How else do you explain gay couples running straight to Christian business owners as soon as their state lifts the ban on same-sex marriage?”

also from another article on the same court case
The ADF reported that their clients must also "teach classes to their employees that impose the state's view of marriage".

jeffblue101

What law would they have filed suit under?

I've change my mind on the matter after doing some research on the topic, public accommodation laws can/may (depending on how liberal the judge is) apply to church properties when they are rented out for weddings. not sure if non compliance can affect their tax status but they sure can face heavy burden under lawsuits and penalties ordered to be paid to gay couples.